SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynn2012

Attn Bill V, Mongo & other tile experts- Grout Line too skinny?

susanlynn2012
12 years ago

1/16th grout width I want but 2 installers want 1/32 for my rectified 17.25 X 17.25" Ilva tile. The tile was discontinued and I fell in love with it at my neighbors house so I got 40% off and bought the tiles but now need an installer.

My two favorite tile installers both seemed to have knowledge to go under the gas range, dishwasher and refrigerator in my kitchen (keeping the cabinets for now) and both checked to see if room which some installers did not do and wanted to not install under the DW or Range.

The installer I liked best called me to see if I got his estimate that included a plumber for making sure the dishwasher removed properly and then installed properly. I was very comfortable with everything until he called and I asked him what width did he feel was best with my 17.25" X 17.25" rectified tiles. He said he felt due to the bevel on the edge, to push the tiles next to each other and put the grout in-between the bevel. I told him I wanted a 1/16th grout line and not skinnier. I never had to tell an installer to go wider!

Today's installer that does high cost places in NYC and was highly recommended did not even ask me what size grout line instead told me he felt a 1/32nd grout width would look very nice with the tiles in a dark taupe color (Polyblend Custom Mushroom) since my tiles have a gray bevel around them. I told him, I wanted a 1/16th grout line in a Laticrete Mushroom color(much less gray and less dark than the Polyblend Mushroom) to blend with my tile. He told me that color was too yellow but I told him it dries less yellow and slightly lighter like in my foyer where I used it with darker tiles. He told me then we can use another grout he chose that looked nice.

What is the bevel around the tiles for? Isn't a 1/32nd grout line too skinny? I love skinny grout lines but I felt if there was not enough grout, the tiles could have movement and not be cushioned by the grout. Am I wrong?

I need to choose an installer ASAP and I know the other installers I interviewed awhile back before looking for cabinets told me between 1/13th to 1/16th they will aim for. A recent installer told me 1/8th but he would not do the floor unless I bought cabinets from him.

This is being cross posted on the flooring and kitchen, Someone on the kitchen forum told me to post this on the bathroom forum and put attn to the tile experts.

Thank you!

Comments (8)