SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnatrus

Deciding to install pool/spa. Advice please!

donnatrus
3 years ago

Hi all, we live in CA on the coast btw between LA and Santa Barbara. 10min inland. We bought a 1980 fixer upper 4 years ago and are slowly working through the inside and out! We are currently desperate for a new patio. Ours is hideous and falling apart. I would love a big pool and hot tub along with a new patio:). Our yard is huge (for CA) so we have plenty of room. But we are very cost conscious. I don’t want to put too much money into the house as this likely isn’t our forever home. We will probably move back to NJ someday. A new patio, patio cover, plus in ground gunnite hot tub and pool will cost at least $80-100K. I can’t imagine spending that much plus realize you don’t recoup pool investment. So, we could do an in ground hot tub only and nice patio. Or maybe a hot tub and small ‘plunge pool’. I’m thinking 10x7’ spa plus 10x12’ pool. Just looking for advice/thoughts/suggestions...will that look too small for our yard? Our flat, usable grass area is roughly 40x60’. We still want a little grass but not much. Water is so expensive here. We’re thinking ahead to resale and want to make sure it has appeal, not just for us (although that’s the priority!). Anyway, just looking for any advice from home owners, pros, realtors. Thank you!!!

Comments (33)