SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonsai_citrus_and_indoor_gardening

Large leaves on Kumquat from mishap-forced winter growth, remove?

Hoping to get some opinions here as I've found a lot of conflicting information and can't find anything answering my question.
Last fall I purchased a kumquat tree from a local nursery to grow indoors in an extremely bright, west-to-southwest facing insulated picture window where a good number of tropicals already grow very well. It was kind of my experiment in growing something that fruits instead of just produces flowers. (I had been growing a number of "impossible to flower in my area" tropical orchids in the same window and getting new blooms at the right time every year, so I figured a citrus tree would do just fine). Since the tree had some minor yellowing of the leaves and was somewhat stressed when I bought it, I decided to give it a weak fertilizer and let it recover for a few months before repotting in spring. I got a bit busy during the month of December and didn't notice that the kumquat had split its original plastic pot from top to bottom, so that every time I was watering it, most of the water was running out the crack and not going through the soil. Based on when my schedule filled up, the crack had to have happened sometime after Thanksgiving, and I was unable to fix it until mid-january despite finding it at the beginning of January. (In my area it's a bit hard to find larger plant pots in winter, so it took me two weeks from discovering the problem to finding a big enough pot). When I repotted it, a few roots were sticking outside of the crack and it suffered from some leaf curling, likely due to drought, as the soil was bone dry despite my watering it that morning. One of the branches had enough damage that I had to remove some of it. (I try not to prune or do much to induce growth on my plants until the days get a bit longer as we don't get more than a few hours of light from December to the beginning of February). The tree recovered quickly, (although it lost some of the leaves on the more drought damaged branches), and grew a new branch from the cut point on the previously damaged branch. Problem is, these three leaves that grew during this time were about 5x the size of the normal leaves. After growing these three very quickly it didn't grow any more until now when it is covered in new growth which is normal in size. I'm assuming that the three leaves were a reaction to the prune of the damaged branch inducing growth at the wrong time which is why they are so large. My question is this, now that the tree has a lot of new leaves, should I remove these three extra large leaves? Though healthy, they are rather unsightly.

Comments (4)