SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gsciencechick

My black kitty crossed the rainbow bridge today

gsciencechick
3 years ago

Sad to report we had to put down my black kitty today. He was 16 had an osteosarcoma in his left front paw for a year now, so he had outlived many expectations. I've been working from home since mid-March, so it has been good to be home with him these final days. Every month I'd renew his gabapentin, thinking this was probably it, and here we are.

So, he just really started to go downhill this holiday weekend. Of course, the vet is closed and we could have gone to the emergency vets, which are always crazy. Then add Covid-19. But I looked up vets that will come to the home and I found Lap of Love, which I had heard of before. So, I made the appointment for today. He had a pretty rough evening and night after having a pretty good afternoon, including spending some time in the yard, so we were ready for the vet to come. We did the procedure outside, under the tree, since he loved being outside, and it was easy to maintain social distance between the vet and us. Weather held out. They then take the body for cremation or do whatever you arranged for your own burial options.

I was not sure how I would feel about euthanasia at home, but it was by far a less stressful experience than going to the vet. So, I would definitely recommend it if you find you need to do this in the future. I feel sad, but I feel good with the decision.

Here's a photo from last week when he had a pretty good romp in the yard. RIP Shelby, the only kitten I ever had. Thanks for a great 16 years.

Comments (63)

• jill302
    3 years ago

My sympathy for your loss of your sweet kitty.

Laps of Love sounds like a good way to handle a sad experience. So much less stress for the pet.

gsciencechick thanked jill302
  • bpath
    3 years ago

I’m so sorry for your loss. He had an exit in the Lap of Love, what a blessing of a service.

gsciencechick thanked bpath
  • Jilly
    3 years ago

I’m so sorry about Shelby. It hurts so much to say goodbye to our precious little companions. Hugs from Texas ❤️

gsciencechick thanked Jilly
  • artemis_ma
    3 years ago

So sorry... warm thoughts to you, and may good memories remain. Awesome that they would come to your home, rather than stressing your feline friend and yourself at a veterinary office.

gsciencechick thanked artemis_ma
  • Moxie
    3 years ago

Oh, gsciencechick, I'm so sorry. No matter how many cats we have or how long they've been with us, losing them never gets any easier.

When we were down to one senior male, I wanted a senior cat. DH thought that Max would accept a kitten better than an adult. A kitten needs a playmate and can wear out an oldster who isn't up for the frantic play-nap-play cycles so we got 2 kittens - siblings. It worked well. Max passed earlier this year, so "the girls" are our last kitties. They'll be 6 years old on Friday.

gsciencechick thanked Moxie
  • Bestyears
    3 years ago

Aww, RIP Shelby. I'm so sorry for your loss. What a nice, long life he had with you, despite a serious health issue. My oldest DD is a veterinarian who a few years ago stopped working in a clinic, and now exclusively provides hospice care for ailing animals. She truly feels called to do that work, and gets a lot out of it. In many cases, she works with some patients for years providing pain management at home, so the animal doesn't have to incur the stress of vet visits. I'm glad you had a good experience with it.

So sorry again....

gsciencechick thanked Bestyears
  • User
    3 years ago

I’m sorry you lost a beloved cat. It sounds like you two were a perfect match of kitty and friend. I hope you find another cat who needs a home as loving as yours. ❤️

gsciencechick thanked User
  • czarinalex
    3 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's always so hard, isn't it? RIP Shelby.

gsciencechick thanked czarinalex
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    3 years ago

One of the hardest things, I'm so sorry.

gsciencechick thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • teeda
    3 years ago

So very sorry for the loss of Shelby. Losing a beloved pet is so hard. Thanks for sharing the photos--he was indeed a beautiful boy.

gsciencechick thanked teeda
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

So sorry. Wishing you peace.

gsciencechick thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • maire_cate
    3 years ago

It's always difficult when you lose a beloved pet and Shelby was a beautiful cat.

gsciencechick thanked maire_cate
  • martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    3 years ago

Oh how hard is the loss of a dear pet. What a perfect life he had with you, and such a peaceful end. Hugs to you.

marti

gsciencechick thanked martinca_gw sunset zone 24
  • rubyclaire
    3 years ago

So sorry for the loss of your sweet cat. Our pets mean so much to us and it is terribly difficult to let them go. Take care -

gsciencechick thanked rubyclaire
  • Olychick
    3 years ago

Oh, so sweet and so sad. What a lucky kitty to have found you. Black cats are my favorites.

My last 4 cats (spanning a 40 year period) have been euthanized at home. My regular vet came every time. It's so, so much better than that drive to the vet's office. I'm glad you were able to arrange for that for your kitty (and you).

gsciencechick thanked Olychick
  • User
    3 years ago

I am so very sorry for the loss of your sweet Shelby. How lovely that you had each other for so many years. ❤

gsciencechick thanked User
  • Feathers11
    3 years ago

I'm sorry about Shelby. I love that you did it outside, under a tree--how thoughtful and compassionate. Thank you for sharing about your experiences.

gsciencechick thanked Feathers11
  • Allison0704
    3 years ago

I am sorry for your loss. RIP Shelby.

I've done three at home euthanasias this past year. It was so much better for me and easier for the pets.

gsciencechick thanked Allison0704
  • dedtired
    3 years ago

So, so sorry. You made his passing as easy as possible. It’s so hard to say goodbye. Hugs.

gsciencechick thanked dedtired
  • Tina Marie
    3 years ago

I’m so sorry!! It is so hard. :(

gsciencechick thanked Tina Marie
  • Elaine Ricci
    3 years ago

So sorry for the loss of your beloved furbaby! May precious memories sustain you! 💓💓💓

gsciencechick thanked Elaine Ricci
  • chispa
    3 years ago

So sorry for your loss. I'm happy that you got to spend that extra time with him while working from home these last few months.

gsciencechick thanked chispa
  • OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

I’m so sorry, gscience. I’m glad you had a peaceful end of life with Shelby. He was a beautiful cat and I’m sure leaves you with many memories.

gsciencechick thanked OutsidePlaying
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    3 years ago

It’s so hard with pets and difficult for some to understand. Sending love.

gsciencechick thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • blfenton
    3 years ago

Oh I am so sorry. It's amazing how much they become a part of your life and are so special.

(((((gscience))))

gsciencechick thanked blfenton
  • cawaps
    3 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear about your dear cat.

gsciencechick thanked cawaps
  • yeonassky
    3 years ago

So sorry. Rest in peace Shelby.

gsciencechick thanked yeonassky
  • nini804
    3 years ago

I am so very sorry. 😔

gsciencechick thanked nini804
  • westsider40
    3 years ago

I am so sorry to hear of your loss of your sweet kitty,

gsciencechick thanked westsider40
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

I'm so sorry...it's so hard to lose our furbabies....sending you thoughts of comfort and solace.

gsciencechick thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • cat_mom
    3 years ago

I’m so sorry. 😢😿

gsciencechick thanked cat_mom
  • Arapaho-Rd
    3 years ago

So sorry, gscience.

gsciencechick thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • Daisy S
    3 years ago

Oh, so very sorry for the loss of your long time companion!

gsciencechick thanked Daisy S
  • amykath
    3 years ago

I am so sorry. Losing a pet is one of the hardest things. I am so glad you got to spend time with him and give him extra love.

That is wonderful that you had someone come to you. What a blessing that is.

Big (((HUG))) to you!

gsciencechick thanked amykath
  • Michele
    3 years ago

I’m so sorry. Shelby was beautiful. I hadn’t heard of this service before. I’m glad he was able to be with you more these last few months. (That’s a silver lining) and that his passing sounds so much more peaceful and loving than it would have been in an office. Take care.

gsciencechick thanked Michele
  • Springroz
    3 years ago

Beautiful ending. I am sorry you had to lose him....RIP lovely, Shelby.

gsciencechick thanked Springroz
  • graywings123
    3 years ago

Rest in peace, Shelby.

gsciencechick thanked graywings123
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    3 years ago

I am so sorry. Losing a pet is hard. I am so glad you had extra time with Shelby these past few months, a Covid silver lining. I hope you find a great new companion for your Siamese cat.

gsciencechick thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • schoolhouse_gwagain
    3 years ago

Adding my condolences. A long life with a loving "parent".

gsciencechick thanked schoolhouse_gwagain
  • cattyles
    3 years ago

Rest well, handsome Shelby. I’m so sorry you lost him, gsciencechick. You gave him a wonderful life and a peaceful passing. That doesn’t make it hurt less when we lose them, though. Big hug.

gsciencechick thanked cattyles
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

I am so sorry. Sixteen years is a very long time for a relationship of any kind, I can only imagine how close you were. RIP Shelby.

gsciencechick thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • beaglesdoitbetter
    3 years ago

I'm sorry for your loss :) What a beautiful cat! You were lucky to have had each other for so long.

gsciencechick thanked beaglesdoitbetter
  • texanjana
    3 years ago

I am so sorry for the loss of your Shelby. Sending you hugs and caring thoughts.

gsciencechick thanked texanjana
  • Joaniepoanie
    3 years ago

So sorry. We had our kitty for sixteen years too.

gsciencechick thanked Joaniepoanie
  • gsciencechick
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the good thoughts, everyone. I've tried to hit the thank you buttons but they won't save. Little girl was a bit out of sorts today. She snuggled with me this morning in bed, then joined me for yoga (she was pretty active trying to rub up against me so sorry for the blurry photo) and later in the office.

I may need to put the blue cat bed away because I keep looking over at it expecting to see Shelby in it.

• Bluebell66
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I’m so sorry. It may be a while before you stop looking for her, blue bed put away or not. :(

We also have a black kitty with cancer, among other things, who doesn’t have much time left. It’s so hard to lose a furry friend.

gsciencechick thanked Bluebell66
  • pamghatten
    3 years ago

I'm so very sorry for your loss. And very glad you found Lap of Love. I used them once a few years ago for a cat that was terrified of going to the vet. It was so calm and peaceful for all of us at home.

gsciencechick thanked pamghatten
  • 3katz4me
    3 years ago

gscience - I often surf petfinder just to look at the interesting siamese-ish cats. The fact you will at some point be searching for a new buddy for your cat caused me to look yesterday. If I could accommodate another cat I would have claimed this little seven month old girl. Today it says no longer accepting applications for adoption so apparently she was in big demand.

gsciencechick thanked 3katz4me
  • gsciencechick
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, I have saved some on Petfinder as well. I am also starting to see some cats on Nextdoor. Someone posted their roommate is moving cross-country and can't take her 3 cats. We got our little girl through Nextdoor. A couple was breaking up and they had 4 dogs and 4 cats that mostly needed to be re-homed.

It is way too soon to think about new cats right now but I am hoping in the coming weeks that we will feel ready again. She's so sensitive I don't want to stress her out more by bringing someone in. After my previous cat died, we thought Shelby was too old and grumpy for a companion, but they got along great.

Still, need to think about age of a new pet, gender, etc. She is 10 but very energetic.

• denali2007
    3 years ago

Two years ago and three years ago we put down our very first fur babies. They were both 17 years old when they crossed. I feel your grief. It’s hard to get over because they are so much a part of our life. We too used Lap of Love and they were amazing. RIP Shelby

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio