First nesting pair has disappeared, leaving behind one egg

HU-509888430

After installing our first bluebird box, we had our first pair of bluebirds show up in early March. They were very active for a long time, coming and going from the nest box. A few weeks ago, however, I noticed the female seemed to have disappeared. We saw the male, always away from the box, just a couple of additional times, and now he has disappeared as well. I finally got up the courage to peek inside the box. (I had never monitored before.) I saw what appeared to be a well-built nest and one egg left behind. I never saw any fledglings, although I suppose they could have fledged and left without our noticing them.

Any ideas as to what has happened? I'm quite disappointed. What do I do next? Remove the egg, now that weeks have passed since seeing either parent? Remove the nest?

Hoping for a healthy next box again soon! Thanks!

SaveComment2Like
Comments (2)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CaWill

I have been hosting bluebirds for 13 seasons now & once in a while this happens. The egg was not viable apparently and the parents just left - I would imagine there were others eggs which hatched and fledged. If you were not monitoring the nestbox it would be pretty impossible to know. The bluebirds are quite tolerant of monitoring - just don't overdo it. When I have eggs in a box I look in about every 2 or 3 days to be sure there are no cracked one (this would draw ants) or one that has disappeared (could be a coon, snake, or other predator). I would go ahead & remove the nest after "weeks" and maybe they will return. Good luck.

Save    
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HU-509888430

Thanks! Will keep this in mind.

I looked in just a couple of days ago, and the lone egg was gone. Today, a pair of bluebirds were investigating the box, perhaps flying in and out a few times! This is the first encouraging activity I have seen in a long time. I don't know if this is the pair from earlier, or a new pair, but I'm hopeful that this is good news.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decluttering Downsizing Help: Choosing What Furniture to Leave Behind
What to take, what to buy, how to make your favorite furniture fit ... get some answers from a homeowner who scaled way down
Full Story
Remodeling Guides One Guy Found a $175,000 Comic in His Wall. What Has Your Home Hidden?
Have you found a treasure, large or small, when remodeling your house? We want to see it!
Full Story
Gardening Guides 10 Tips for Leaving a Garden Behind
You can make parting easier by taking ideas and plants with you
Full Story
At 2 Navy Lane, we pride ourselves on amazing customer service and beautiful designs. We also offer Professional... Read More
With quality custom window treatments and the best window treatment designers in Long Island, we have you and... Read More