First nesting pair has disappeared, leaving behind one egg

HU-509888430

After installing our first bluebird box, we had our first pair of bluebirds show up in early March. They were very active for a long time, coming and going from the nest box. A few weeks ago, however, I noticed the female seemed to have disappeared. We saw the male, always away from the box, just a couple of additional times, and now he has disappeared as well. I finally got up the courage to peek inside the box. (I had never monitored before.) I saw what appeared to be a well-built nest and one egg left behind. I never saw any fledglings, although I suppose they could have fledged and left without our noticing them.

Any ideas as to what has happened? I'm quite disappointed. What do I do next? Remove the egg, now that weeks have passed since seeing either parent? Remove the nest?

Hoping for a healthy next box again soon! Thanks!

SaveCommentLike
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Downsizing Downsizing Help: Choosing What Furniture to Leave Behind
What to take, what to buy, how to make your favorite furniture fit ... get some answers from a homeowner who scaled way down
Full Story
Fun Houzz One Guy Found a $175,000 Comic in His Wall. What Has Your Home Hidden?
Have you found a treasure, large or small, when remodeling your house? We want to see it!
Full Story
Moving 10 Tips for Leaving a Garden Behind
You can make parting easier by taking ideas and plants with you
Full Story