SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dmarieok

one egg has dent..is it still viable??

dmarieok
13 years ago

Hi guys!!! Long time no post!!! But I haven't had this happen, I think, in maybe all my almost 10 years...my female laid 4 eggs and all was well and when I went to check them yesterday, one has a dent in it...but it is not poked all the way through and no liquid is leaking...I am at a loss as to 1) what made the dent and 2) should I remove the egg because the mother seems to have not been in the nest as often as she was....

I had a wonderful first pair of 5 that fledged and then she laid 5 more...I have a very old predator baffle and we obviously did not get it fixed soon enough and we lost all 5 of the last clutch...all the eggs were either carried off by the female or a snake...just not sure...there was no disturbance or blood or egg debris left. After I knew that we had lost 3 and had 2 eggs left with one chick hatched, we quickly fixed the baffle but we think whatever went after the eggs was able to grab onto the duck tape...not sure, but all 5 were gone. This nest took her a lot of time to start and it is in the other box in my yard....

Anyway, what is your advice as to what to do with the egg? Should I leave it? Or do you think she is aware it is damaged and that is why she is staying away?

Thanks! Even after so many years...new things always pop up! Thanks in advance!

Diane

Comment (1)