Can I sub white flour for Whole Wheat pastry flour in this recipe?

Compumom11

It's an apple muffin recipe from Smitten Kitchen. I have 3 beautiful Granny Smith apples here since 5/4 and really need to use them up. I didn't buy them, they were part of a beautiful fruit arrangement for DH's birthday. This recipe sounds good, but no WW flour on hand and frankly, don't really want any either. Can I sub white AP flour?

If not, can you suggest a muffin or quick bread to use up these apples? Points added if I can use greek yogurt as an ingredient!

SaveComment8Like
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plllog

There are a whole bunch of recipes for apple/Greek yoghurt quickbreads:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS795US795&ei=gkHIXtaGMI2wytMP37ql0A0&q=greek+yoghurt+apple+bread&oq=greek+yoghurt+apple+bread&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeOgQIABBHOggIIRAWEB0QHjoICAAQgwEQkQI6CAgAEJECEIsDOgcIABBDEIsDOggIABCDARCLAzoFCAAQiwM6DggAEOoCELQCEJoBEOUCOgQIABBDOgIIAFDD_jBYq7kxYOC6MWgBcAF4AIAB5AGIAb0kkgEGMC4zMC4xmAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdperABBrgBAg&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwjWz_fMssjpAhUNmHIEHV9dCdoQ4dUDCAw&uact=5

Re your muffin recipe, you could make it without the whole wheat flour, but you'd want to adjust the quantity of flour and sugar, and that could be tricky for it coming out right the first time. Do you have any bran or unsweetened bran cereal? Because you could make your own whole wheat flour substitute. That would give the rich flavor and earthy structure.

You could also make a small pie with three granny smiths. :) Or poached or baked apples, or applesauce. .... I love tart apples. Nix that if you don't.

Save     Thanked by Compumom11
Compumom11

Baked apples were a good idea, I thought about that too. No, I don't have any bran, I"m Gluten Free and don't bake very much. I just have AP flour for my regular gluten baking. I'll look at apple yogurt breads too. DH likes something like that as an option for his breakfast.

1 Like Save    
lizbeth-gardener

I have a recipe for apple muffins with AP flour if you still need one. I also have a recipe for raw apple cake, which is good.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Compumom11
Compumom11

Yes please!

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

I sub and mix flours all the time - esp. in quick breads like muffins. I don't see that it should be a problem.

That's a lot of cinnamon, though!

Something I used to make lot but haven't in awhile (not sure why) is baked apple compote. Sorry no recipe, just cut up (cored) apples (peeled or not), a squeeze or so of lemon juice, raisins, honey or maple syrup, cinnamon and/or other sweet spices and a little water to help plump the raisins, dotted with butter and baked in a shallow enamel or pyrex pan at 400F until apples are soft - maybe 35-45 minutes, depending on how much there is, stirring a couple times. Adding some chopped nuts on top for the last 8-10 minutes is good too.You can serve topped with crumbled cookies or granola, or just eat as -is.

lizbeth-gardener

Compumom11:

Apple muffins

3 -1/2 cups flour

3 cups peeled, finely chopped apples

2 cups sugar

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. cinnamon

Combine above, then stir in remaining ingredients.

1 cup cooking oil

1/2 cup chopped nuts

1 tsp. vanilla

The batter will be stiff.

Fill muffin tins (greased) or cupcake papers. Bake @ 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

I haven't made these in years, but I always check baked goods early-just in case.

Raw Apple Cake

2 cups sugar

1 cup cooking oil

2 eggs, beaten

4 cups raw peeled apples, finely chopped

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. allspice

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

2 cups flour

4 cups raw peeled apples, chopped

1/2 cup chopped nuts

Combine sugar and oil, then add beaten eggs. Sift all dry ingredients together and add to egg mixture, then add apples and nuts. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan and bake @350 degrees for 45 minutes.

lindac92

Of course you can....I sub one flour for another all the time...in muffins and pancakes and quickbreads and yeast breads......just flat out swap>
Sounds yummy.....I really like using butter instead of oil.

Compumom11

THANKS EVERYONE! I'll play around now!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Feel-Good Home 12 Very Useful Things I've Learned From Designers
These simple ideas can make life at home more efficient and enjoyable
Full Story
Kitchen Design Trending Now: 25 Kitchen Photos Houzzers Can’t Get Enough Of
Use the kitchens that have been added to the most ideabooks in the last few months to inspire your dream project
Full Story
Kitchen Countertops Why I Chose Quartz Countertops in My Kitchen Remodel
Budget, style and family needs all were taken into account in this important design decision
Full Story