SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizabetheva

gfci receptacles and lights on same circuit, not in kitchen

EvaElizabeth
3 years ago

I am adding receptacles in my garage, but I’m running low on circuits and not ready to add a subpanel until we finish our basement, which won’t be for a while. The house is just a couple of years old but we’re short a few garage receptacles. I’m adding a dedicated receptacle for my miter saw, as it keeps tripping the breaker. I’m also adding 3 receptacles above a work desk on a separate circuit. They aren’t for actively using tools, but for charging battery packs for my drill and impact driver, and to plug in my phone and charge the headphones I use when I’m out there. I sometimes plug in my laptop while I work. I would like to tie in some kind of task lighting, like under cabinet lighting, to the same circuit as the 3 receptacles, if possible. when I try to find code relating to this what I find is for gfci’s and small appliance circuits in kitchens, and it says no lighting on the same circuit. Could someone please direct me to the applicable code and recommendations as how this might apply in a garage setting?

Comments (5)