SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Questions on Summer Funerals

Funkyart
3 years ago

I will have a number of funerals to attend whenever guidelines permit-- including my own father's. I am anticipating that they will start in late summer and go into Sept. For my father, the church and cemetery are in two different counties (one of which goes yellow today and the other is still red).

I typically wear a suit to a funeral but I am looking at my black and navy dresses. So a few questions:

For church services, I was raised never to wear anything sleeveless to a church (I remember a priest once calling out a parishioner for wearing a sundress!) -- but I haven't regularly attended church since I was a preteen... 45 yr ago. Should I still plan to wear something with sleeves?

I purchased this dress not too long ago-- the v is fairly deep but it otherwise covers me up. Is this appropriate for summer funeral? (this is not likely what i'd wear to my own father's funeral but others). It is a med weight jersey.. is it too covered up/too much material to look appropriate for summer?

I do have other dresses so don't hesitate to tell me, "my god, NO!" It's just very comfortable and flattering. Also, I like the 3/4 sleeves for in A/C.

Also regarding shoes regardless if I wear the dress above or not-- are sandals are appropriate for church? I am thinking I am ok as long as they are not a thong style sandal?

What about hats? For the interment (I believe I will only attend my father's interment) would you think a hat is appropriate? What about a nicer straw hat-- i.e. a little more structure than a beachy straw hat-- but still a straw hat.

Comments (29)