SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisasmall_gw

Funeral for 'Francee' ?

lisasmall
16 years ago

Ugh. I have been crazy about 'Francee' because of y'all here and your enticing pictures of same. I bought one in summer/fall 2005.

Got planted out back...was okay in 2006...barely came up with five or six this spring 2007, started dwindling fast, was down to two leaves when I repotted and both of those died within a week. If it had a crown, it was negligible.

I think it was too deep, and maybe too put-upon by the vinca growing over it in the spring location.

So. Now. Do I hang onto this pot and see if 'Francee' shows up next spring, or do I start humming a dirge and start looking at catalogs?

Comments (2)

• chocolateis2b8
    16 years ago

Lisa, Darling, I don't know what to tell you except don't feel so bad. For some reason Francee, who is suppose to be a die hard, will not grow for me. Doesn't matter where I plant her or how many of her I plant, she refuses to grow for me, I have been trying for years, go figure. I guess die hard only applies to 99 percent of the population and I have never fit into the norm,lol.

But to answer your question, hang on to the pot, you never know, I've had totally barren pots I've thrown to a side corner until I have time to dispose of them suddenly sprout hostas in them, actually got a nice plant of Vanilla Cream I put down as a goner this way. My biggest surprise this year was Cherry Berry showing up in it's old spot 3 years after it totally disapeared, sure didn't expect that and don't even ask me how that happened, hosta's are funny that way.

And while I have you darling, your erromenas (sp, don't want to look up the correct spelling at this time) are just glorious. I see them first thing every morning as come home from work at 7am because I walk right by them to get into the house. They are very much a welcome home type plant.

• lisasmall
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, you spelled erromena correctly! But go kick them for me... 'twas the mother of those erromenas as what kilt the 'On Stage' you sent me. Just overgrew it completely.

(Remember, I couldn't remember where I'd planted 'OS'? Well, the tag eventually surfaced, and the answer was, waaaay too close to the erromenas.)

My 'Francee' pot is banished to the back until next spring. If no action, I may weaken and buy one, though in theory, I have all the hostas I have room for... heh heh heheh.