SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weberkk

Patio help please please please

Katy Weber
3 years ago

For multiple reasons our back patio is a wreck right now, but we’re trying to come up with ideas for renovating it for less than $2k. Any ideas? Deck over the concrete, or maybe just stain the concrete? Thanks in advance! (And again, I realize it’s a wreck and I’m sorry if that upsets anyone😉)

Comments (55)

• Maureen
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

For $2,000 you may have to prioritize

- staining concrete would be on my list but wait to decide on color until after you have decided on furniture

- remove brick wall and add idea below for extra seating and greenery - could stain to match concrete or stain a color to match your seating

- place bbq on a slab on the grass, so you have more usable space if needed

- Refresh/spray your dining set and add cushions.

- add seating and think about the style you like and add an outdoor rug as well. With season started and covid situation, there will probably be deals. Hard to suggest a style but just compliment dining set

- storage based on your needs should be placed near fence to free up space

Katy Weber thanked Maureen
  • Related Discussions

Outdoor Patio HELP PLEASE - TILE dilemma

Q

Comments (1)
    Can you post a picture? Will help visualize what you're working with.
    ...See More

Please help with boring patio!

Q

Comments (23)
    Anything that is steel, even powder coated, will eventually rust if left outside. Fine if you don't mind refinishing frequently. That's what we have to do with our fire pit that is steel. We spray it every couple of years with a special fire resistant metal spray paint. We had to do the same with the frames for our steel patio furniture. They also make cast aluminum lawn stuff so you might find something like that. I still use wrought iron and steel stuff, just not tons. Some finishes last longer than others. There are some lists of deer resistant plants for NJ and neighboring PA out there. Here's one from my alma mater Rutgers, https://njaes.rutgers.edu/deer-resistant-plants/ Edited to add that Doug's idea of creating a visual screen against the driveway is a pretty good one, particularly if you don't need the view. I love the little stone path leading to it, brilliant.
    ...See More

Patio drainage help please

Q

Comments (1)
    No picture.
    ...See More

Please help me with my vanilla patio…

Q

Comments (20)
    Thank you both for the recommendations and your empathy for my plight ! I have two crepe myrtles on the back corners of my property but they don’t flower much. My landscaper assured me that we would have robust blooms but much to our disappointment they just don’t flower that much. I think we got either very immature trees or some type of species of crêpe myrtle that I don’t understand. We had hydrangeas in our garden when I lived in New York and I remember them so fondly for most of my childhood flowering, in our front yard. I think I just might take you up on those recommendations and see how they do potted! I thought it would be too hot for them here—but I never checked the zoning. It would make my day to have those purple hydrangeas again! Much thanks.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

Seems like we all have the exact same plan lol

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

LOL! I just went back and read. We even mocked up using the same table set!

I mean if everyone has the same plan it MUST be the best solution!

• Katy Weber
    Original Author
    3 years ago

You guys are amazingggg. I’m a nurse working full time with a two year old so I don’t have much time. Getting quick ideas from pros is incredibly helpful.

• Katy Weber
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here are pics looking at the house.

• User
    3 years ago

a deck is just going to get dirty too, and if you don't maintain it on a regular basis it will begin to chip, rot, grow slippery moss, etc.

concrete is so much easier. for the amount of money a deck costs, I'd rather spend that on some kind of awning deep enough to protect stuff from rain. then any furniture, outdoor rug, etc, will stay cleaner way longer.

also invest in a battery operated leaf blower. it will make sweeping the area clean only take about 5 minutes! a total lifesaver.

Katy Weber thanked User
  • Katy Weber
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for that helpful comment, partim! Feel good now?

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

Katy I imagine an outdoor space to come home and relax on would be a real blessing right now. Thanks for your commitment during these tough times.

I like the division. the brick wall creates. I think the advice given still stands. In your last photo what is the pipe for? I only ask because that looks like it could be a hazard with a child who can fall and impale themselves on it. Can it be removed?

On your next day off spend it moving everything out onto the lawn and creating a keep, donate and trash pile. Your toddler can be your "helper". Once you have your keep pile estimate how much storage you will need for the items that are toys and lose. Then follow the advice we all gave above with rugs first. The rugs will help define the spaces. Target has some great ones as does Lowes. Your plant stand against the house is cute and if you got matching pots to line up on it, would make a great little herb garden stand.

Katy Weber thanked Design Interior South
  • acm
    3 years ago

I agree that tidying and rugs will go a long way, as will trimming back the shrubs. I'd leave the brick wall since it matches the house and since otherwise you'll have tripping issues where the grass and patio meet. Also, be a bit easier on yourself. Parenthood + pandemic is plenty to juggle without worrying about meeting some magazine spread threshold! :)

Katy Weber thanked acm
  • samondragon
    3 years ago

I have a problem with outdoor rugs. They look cute in photos but my experience has been that all sorts of bugs collect underneath them. Not at all afraid of insects but flip a corner of the rug or move it for cleaning & a thousand little critters will come running out. They also collect leaves & debris so its way easier to have a flat concrete space in terms of cleaning. Until you have the money for a more refined project the best thing to do is clean up the mess, the empty pots, the leaf debris, the kid toys & the plain old garbage. Buy an outdoor storage container for the toys. Spray paint the dining set. Add new colorful cushions & an umbrella if your table allows for one. Instead of all the little pots, create a few lush & overflowing container plantings. Look at container gardening websites for inspiration. You can use some seating other than the table. Lots of options there from inexpensive plastic Adirondack chairs that come in bold colors to outdoor wicker. You say you are busy working & rearing a toddler. I was in the medical field, taking 24 hour in house call & two children so I get it. Make your life easier by keeping things to a minimum for easy clean up & storage...& do clean. It takes seconds to throw out cardboard pop can containers.

Katy Weber thanked samondragon
  • Katy Weber
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wait, so...clean? It's crazy how consistently the negative amateurs show up on these posts. Thanks, everyone!

• PRO
    FZAD ARCHITECTURE + DESIGN
    3 years ago

for this space you could simply install 2'x2' IPE wood pavers ontop of Buzon pedestals. or stone pavers if you prefer that look. It would create a seamless transition from indoors to outdoors. one level space. The wood photo below is before slope correction was made

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

Wow some people live there best lives being over bearing A-holes, I'm sorry! Stick with us and keep us up to date.

As to rugs and bugs... your outside, lift a pot find a bug, lift a kids toy maybe find a spider IDK its outside lol

• User
    3 years ago

eek...I hope my comment didn't come off as "you must clean"! I meant to just offer tips for how to keep things easier to maintain.

for what it's worth, I've never had a problem with my outdoor rug and it's been outside for over a year now. I think the key is keeping it dry. like I mentioned before, I have a covered patio so the stuff gets dusty but never wet -- in spite of the fact that we have some gnarly wind/rain storms in the winter.

this is the type I have, attached to the house (so the back wall is the area that stays dry). not sure if it would fit within a 2k budget to have one installed (maybe if you have a handy friend), but what I love about it is the fact that it protects everything. add a gas firepit and some throw blankets, and you have a fall/winter patio!

• Katy Weber
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That is such a good idea and would be a dream! We do have some handy friends, maybe I should reach out ☺️

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

Just start where you can, when you can. I think the first order is some storage chests and a couple of fun rugs! That alone will let you "see" the space.

• Katy Weber
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I really appreciate your help!!

• samondragon
    3 years ago

Many of the comments on here, from both professional & non-professional, suggested a good cleaning, tidying up & storage. I just happened to be more specific in detailing the pop can cardboard laying about. Any space can look more attractive when it's clutter free & decluttering cost nothing. From your pics, your patio doesn't look bad from a structure standpoint, can even be cute, but what stands out is just the general mess. Sorry...it's there for the eyes to see in the pics you posted. I mentioned the outdoor rug issue as so many people suggested rugs but I have found them impractical, messy & depending on your location, not very long lasting. Just my view of outdoor rugs based on experience living in a 4 season climate.

• suezbell
    3 years ago

Bleach it.

Invest in a couple gallons of no- splash bleach -- emphasis on the " no-splash" kind of bleach.

Remove everything from the patio.

Hook up and turn on your water hose with a spray nozzle on its end to stop the flow of water until you're ready for it -- the kind of basic nozzle that enables you to spray for more distance with more pressure. Keep the nozzle off for now.

Wearing clothes and shoes you don't care if you end up throwing them away anyway, carefully pour the bleach all over the patio floor.

Using that old kitchen broom you've likely been wanting to replace anyway ( because the fuzzy ends that once caught dust are all gone leaving only the stiff bristles), spread the bleach around to coat the entire deck/floor of the patio, "scrubbing" the entire deck with the the broom paying special attention to scrubbing where the stains are located.

Maybe take ten minutes to scrub the floor/deck of the patio leaving the bleach do its work. Then, making sure all people and animals are out of the way, turn on your water hose and thoroughly rinse the bleach off the deck toward a direction where it will do the least damage (might temporarily mess up your grass by the patio but it will recover).

Repeat for the more stubborn stains IF necessary -- likely will not be.

Once the stains are gone, you might consider coating the area with a sealant, making it easier to clean as you use it in the future.

Would NOT use rugs much less leave rugs out on the patio.

• suezbell
    3 years ago

Repaint your black metal furnishings with RustO'leum 2x spray paint. Invest in other black metal items for the deck -- they're a lot more easily repainted and refreshed that a lot of other deck furnishings.

To help control clutter and accord an opportunity to add a decorative rectangle flower pot with plants you like atop it, do invest in metal shelving that can also be easily repainted as needed. This rack comes in black or red.

https://www.countrydoor.com/p/metal-thin-rolling-pantry-646478.html?source=google&code=PLA_Campaign-Computer&medium=inhaus&link=646478&cm_mmc=google--PLA_Campaign-Computer--All+Products--646478&cm_mmca1=ABA&mkwid=sIZGf0Sin-dc_pcrid_431602253261_pkw__pmt__slid__product_646478_pgrid_34406745551_ptaid_pla-805024966225&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkYGiqtnD6QIVCYizCh31bADbEAQYASABEgLXOfD_BwE

Consider investing in comfortable seat cushions.

Invest in a box with "wheel" for your water hose.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/watering-and-irrigation/hose-reels/7506082?x429=true&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqPXFl9rD6QIVAa_ICh229gnFEAQYBCABEgLW9_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Invest in a storage bench intended for exterior/patio use -- extra seating with the storage.

https://www.wayfair.com/Keter--Westwood-150-Gallon-Resin-Deck-Box-231666-L3748-K~W002079792.html?refid=GX99081550762-W002079792&device=c&ptid=811708042708&network=g&targetid=aud-352581794326:pla-811708042708&channel=GooglePLA&ireid=106402366&fdid=1817&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_62OuNrD6QIVluDICh2t4wEaEAQYASABEgIJLfD_BwE

Invest in a black metal serving cart.

https://www.bbqguys.com/darlee/cast-aluminum-patio-tea-cart-antique-bronze?utm_source=google&utm_medium=paid&utm_campaign=1757301804&utm_content=341652417329&utm_term=10354&species=shopping-ad-smart&campaignid=1757301804&adgroupid=67470556263&creative=341652417329&targetid=pla-784645959018&network=u&device=c&adtype=&productchannel=online&productid=10354&productpartitionid=784645959018&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIheqG39rD6QIVA4TICh1OFg99EAQYAiABEgJuOfD_BwE

• suezbell
    3 years ago

You could invest in multiple storage benches if you wanted to keep any tools separate from outdoor toys or keep each child's toys in a separate bin for each child. Would begin with only one to make sure it actually IS waterproof before investing in others.

For such storage benches used outdoors, a gel mat makes a good seat cushion and can be topped with a non-slip house rug to prevent that sticking-to-legs issue -- the rug could be rolled up (a stretchy hair band put around it) so it can be stored in the storage bench when not in use.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

Ive lived in two separate types of climates and have never had issues with outdoor rugs. Im in NC now and if you would like to discuss bugs......but seriously hose them down like you do anything else. Thats why they're made out of either recycled plastic or polypropylene. So they can be hosed off and cleaned. In the winter roll them up and store them along with any outdoor pillows and seat cushions. When I am outdoors I like to kick off my flip flops and a rug under my feet is much more appealing that concrete.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

Sam: Its not the content of your posts it's the context,

" Until you have the money for a more refined project the best thing to do is clean up the mess, the empty pots, the leaf debris the kid toys & the plain old garbage '' and this, " It takes seconds to throw out cardboard pop can containers. "

These two sentences when reading back by someone who doesn't know you, nor you know them, changes their entire perception of your comment from helpful to negative and judgemental.

The phrasing is everything where there is no way to illiterate your sentences with inflection. Take the time to make sure that your not telling someone they have a trashy yard, needs to be cleaned. I am sure that isn't what you meant to say, and if it was... just say nothing at all.

• Katy Weber
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I think samondragon may have indeed meant to be condescending, and probably doesn’t even realize because it’s just her/his nature. Especially given that, in my original post I twice mentioned that it’s messy and it is therefore pointless to tell me to clean it. I’m just impressed that, even when working “in the medical field”, having kids, and taking 24 hour call (me too), they had time to pick up boxes of sparking water off their porch! Impressive!

Regardless, doesn’t matter. Trolls are everywhere and they’re relentless. Thanks so much for all the productive help, you guys!

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

following

• samondragon
    3 years ago

Katy...you asked for help in improving your patio, stated you had limited finances, realize the patio is messy & it's pointless to tell you to clean it. Do you want miracles? Just about every "pro" on here suggested cleaning. Have you reprimanded them for being judgmental? If you can't clean, or won't or don't have time, then why even bother? Live the way you wish, the way that works for you. The patio is functional as is. I'm not a person calling your town reporting a messy neighbor. You asked for help. I, as well as many others, suggested a good cleaning & you'd be surprised how that action may give you a different view of your patio. And no, there is no way I'd leave cardboard trash laying around. That's just not me. I actually managed to have babies, work full time including in hospital call several times a week, initiated & managed two huge home renovation projects plus all the other daily responsibilities of life, no nannies, no cleaning services to help. The day I brought my second baby home from the hospital, they were tearing off the roof of my house to build a much needed bathroom & bedroom on the 2nd floor. Talk about stress? Not bragging. I'm the first to admit I'm an overachiever AND I do understand the frustration of not having enough time, something you also expressed. So for me, if you are unable to take 5 seconds to pick up trash, that suggests something else is going on here. As for the outdoor rugs & for those who love them: "cada loco con su tema"...to each their own.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

^^Who cares about this? Your extremely rude, and it has been noted that you do not take kindly to being called out for poor form, I suppose this means you have no intention of simply saying '' I'm a busy mom too, we just operate differently, best of luck".............THE END. You have completely managed to turn this thread into something negative, all on your own. UNREAL.

• suezbell
    3 years ago

Like the wind chimes. If you limit the number of one wind chime per limb -- limiting the weight on each limb -- the limb will be able to move more in the breeze and the wind chimes will be able to chime more, too.

I've also found that some center fobs are too heavy for all but strong breezes to blow. If you have a thin metal item -- something that broke off some Dollar Tree yard decor item- something that will more easily blow in the wind to cause the knocker to hit the chimes more easily/often -- then that can give you better results from your wind chimes.

Also, save the old broom you use to bleach/scrub the stain off the patio deck/floor -- leave it outside (most "out of sight" handy corner) so you don't damage your newer indoor broom sweeping leaves off the patio.

If you do decide to repaint your black metal patio furnishings, don't do that on the patio -- grass will recover without the considerable work it would take to remove or cover black paint on your patio.

Do post after pics.

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

Katy, what do you want to use the patio for? Eating, relaxing, both? What are the measurements of the space? I like the brick wall and the way it ties into the house and gives some separation from the yard.

Do you have time to re-furbish the existing furniture or is it easier to buy new? Concrete paint can be an easy and inexpensive way to refresh the floor. I have a rug but mine is covered by my lanai roof. It still gets yucky and has to be cleaned on a regular basis. Perhaps, if you enjoy a DIY project, you could stencil a rug design right onto the concrete. Then it would only require sweeping off with the rest of the patio. Do you have a green thumb and time to tend to container plants or is it easier to grow low maintenance perennials around the patio for color?

What do you need to store? Do you need tall storage or something like a deck box? Do you want to add lights to the patio for dining or hanging out at night? 2K can go a long way to making a relaxing, easy care space for your family to enjoy.

• Rebekah Gibbs
    3 years ago

I agree with everyone else that the space itself is fine and investing that money in a nice rug and either a new dining set if you use the space for eating or a conversation set if you just like to relax out there. Maybe add a few planters around the perimeter with poles so you can hang string lights?

• Missi (4b IA)
    3 years ago

We have cement for the patio right out the patio doors, and added lots of red bricks to extend it. we have a roof over the cement part. It’s a nightmare currently-redoing the kitchen so all the lumber and tools etc are everywhere, and we keep bees so hive boxes are back there until the bees need them. Added bird feeders this year and birds are about as messy as can be. When it’s cleaned off it’s lovely. However-life happens and shit happens, so nobody’s space is ever perfect all the time. And even if it were—-so?

The easiest way to see what you have and do what you can do with the space is to move everything off and clean it.

**Which is entirely different than snarking to someone as if they’re lazy and can’t be bothered to pick up after themselves for heavens sakes.**

Measure your space, see what you want to keep to know what you need storage for.

• Tara
    3 years ago

I guess it's just me...but I STILL do not see cardboard pop containers. Even after I examined all the photos carefully. I think they're being imagined. :) And for the record, I don't think your patio is all that messy as it is. Maybe disorganized. You should see some of the ones I have seen! Sprucing up this area won't take much, in money or effort (when you finally find the time). Arrange your furniture and other patio items in zones. A zone for eating, a zone for having a conversation and perhaps a cocktail, and zone for cooking. Make your chairs more comfortable with some cheerful cushions. As for rugs, if that area gets wet, I wouldn't. Maybe paint the concrete in a rug-like pattern to delineate zones. Place planters with all the flowers/herbs you enjoy around the edges. And I like the lights for when you want to be out there after the sun goes down (and some of those plants might need to be lemongrass which helps repel mosquitoes; some of the accessories might need to be citronella for the same reason). It doesn't have to be done all at once, either.

• User
    3 years ago

it looks like a patio of a house that has kids, where people prioritize fun. it's not even that bad. and the op already acknowledged it.

samondragon: just stop already. we heard you the first time.

• Katy Weber
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, guys. All this input is so helpful. With my original post my intention was to say “✋ before you say it’s messy, I know that. Now here’s what I need advice on.” We pressure washed it a couple weeks ago and haphazardly put things back on the patio afterwards. Since then we’ve spent all our time in the actual yard part, which is huge. The patio was neglected. And the box of sparkling water? When I took these photos I had just gotten off work and brought my recycling out to the back to walk it to the bins. I guess I assumed everyone on here was a reasonable adult who wasn’t looking desperately for something to criticize. The wind chimes? The day before the picture was taken, my daughter wanted to “play” the wind chimes together so I moved them all to a temporary place for her to do that.

Jesus, why am I explaining that? So crazy. Anyway, I got a new patio furniture set, and two new 8x10 rugs, all of which are arriving soon. Also got a 135 gallon storage bin. Gonna pressure wash again, once it stops raining, and then see what else should come next. Might look into staining. I’ll be posting after pics!

• User
    3 years ago

houzz is full of threads where people jump in and criticize things the OP did not ask about, and are really tone deaf about it. thankfully there are many helpful people here too.

excited to see your changes. have fun!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

OH I am so excited to see the pictures.

I think we scared of the ney sayers! So we can all move on to our happy place now.

I see it all to often, I actually have a post about it, I go under attack all the time because we own a moving company, I cannot possibly be a "pro". Hey I didn't put that there houzz did, so anyway it's like "fairgame" on here, be ready for whatever someone can toss in your general direction lol

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

Glad to hear you have some new stuff coming. I think it could be a really charming spot. I much prefer a patio to a deck-especially one with character like yours!

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

Looking forward to seeing the new stuff. It rained here all week. Poured actually! But the sun is out today! Sadly I have been behind my computer screen and under a mound of invoicing since early this am!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

That's a good thing! Happy to hear you are busy!

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

RL people have been quarantined so long they no longer like theirs homes I think. Have you found a huge increase?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

I am super busy and the new house market has blown wide open. One of my clients has two offers and 2 more showings today! So the pent up demand is going to be crazy here for the next couple months. All good.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

4 new clients this week Flo. I told DH I needed to hire an assistant. He told me to hire our daughter who just graduated and is on the hunt for her first career job. Not Interior Design however. Ive broken my own rule about number of clients I will take at once. I need to be stricter with myself and do the waiting list like you said. HA easier said that done!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Oh boy. Be careful. Too many can create more issues than it’s worth. You are so worth waiting for. Spread out a little if you can.

• Katy Weber
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here’s an update! It ended up not raining today and the furniture was delivered, so got started on phase one! Still waiting on storage, and plenty of plants. Just wanted to share the progress!

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

Hey hey hey! That looks like a nice place to sit with a cool drink ;-). You have made quick work of it. It looks great! Are you going to be adding your table and chairs back in? Because if you are I think you may have a protester on your hands. Looks like an ideal space in the cool shade for an afternoon of content play.

• Missi (4b IA)
    3 years ago

It looks fabulous! Nice going!

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

Wow-what a difference! The furniture choice is really nice. Just in time to enjoy the holiday weekend!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

Well Sh*t!... that looks dang good! I mean seriously you did a great job! thank god all you had to do was clean ahhahahahaha!

• PRO
    FZAD ARCHITECTURE + DESIGN
    3 years ago

Great job !