SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brandy_foster59

Please Help: Color Choices for 1970s Mansard & Exterior Refresh

Basil
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We purchased our home in 2016 and would like to refresh the exterior, including the roof. But, we're stuck on color choices and would love some advice.

We like the Mansard roof, but do not like the brown shingles. But, changing the roof color will likely require us to change the trim, shutters, garage doors, front door, and even our huge covered patio in the back of the house--as the posts and beams are very dark brown to match the current color scheme.

Our brick looks like it has been lime washed, and has light tan, pink, or grey tones, depending on the light. We do not plan to make any changes to the brick, so its color drives all of the other color choices. The windows are a creamy ivory, with a strong yellow-tan tint when next to a true white.

For the Mansard roof, I would like Certainteed's Carriage House shingles, as I think the scalloped shingle would add charm. We're thinking a mid- to dark grey for the roof, which would highlight the pink and grey tones in the brick. I'd like to lean into the French cottage potential our home has, thanks to its Mansard roof, and I also like the thought more adventurous shutters and front door, such as dusty teal, light aqua, or French blue.

We'd love for ideas about color or design choices for any/all of the following, as we're open to replacing the garage and front doors and plan to entirely replace the shutters:

• Roof (color, material, type)
  • Trim
  • Garage doors (color and/or type)
  • Front door (color and/or type)
  • Shutters (color and/or type)
  • Covered Patio posts and beams (we might have this re-constructed, as we're planning to screen it)

We're also interested in anything we can do to add dimension or more visual interest on the front. If adding a portico is too expensive, we'd do a permanent awning above the front door. I also like the thought of window boxes on the upper windows in the front.

Here are photos of our house:

Here's a sample Mansard with Carriage House shingles:

Comments (24)