SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
superlumen

1966 Mid-Century Ranch Exterior Refresh- Working on a Color Scheme

Super Lumen
last year

I just bought this house. It is a 1966 ranch that had bad things done to the exterior during an addition at some point, including the current poop-brown/green siding that is worse in person than it appears in this photo. The roof is currently new and solid black, and it has cheapo black shutters and 8-lite windows.

There is a lot of house here and I will be spending big $$ inside to renovate, so I don't have another $100K outside. I need to try to return the house to a more period correct but updated look for as little as possible.

My plan right now is: new front door, convert the windows back to casement style, and repaint the house. I'll also probably remove the dog-ear garage corners as from the looks of the framing those were added later as well in the addition.

I'll be doing all the work myself, and this isn't even close to my first rodeo, I understand the scope of work involved quite well. I'm looking for opinions on the color scheme. Without tearing off a brand new roof(I'm not doing it) or painting the stone(also not happening) it is proving hard to choose a color scheme that balances that black roof with the lighter stone.

Here is a current picture, and one Sherwin Williams Mid-century color scheme I've been playing with in Photoshop(color masks). Am I on the right track?

Comments (88)