SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smouse77

What would you do? Fresh start for mid century ranch.

smouse77
8 years ago

We are currently doing a complete overhaul on a fixer-upper house in south Florida. It's a 1960 ranch close to the beach and definitely has that mid century feel to it that I'd like to keep. I'm now in the planning stages of exterior painting, landscaping, curb appeal, Ect. I'm thinking of a privacy screen (horizontal cedar) to block some of the huge front window... (The street has a speed hump and EVERYONE looks in, no kidding, everyone!) I should also note, we are enlarging the two front windows by the chimney and re-stuccoing. sp?

So any ideas on paint colors? landscape ideas? I'm open to something fun! Note: privacacy screen to go in front of the window by the fron door. The other window is the garage.

Comments (96)

• l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

Your front yard looks like it could be a "museum of mixed hardscaping." So does your car just sit out in front of the house, or is there parking for the car in the back or side?

• smouse77
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ha. We have another driveway to the far left. It's connected to the circle drive along that side. The door to the garage is perpendicular to the front of the house. We usually park one vehicle out front and another in the side driveway by the garage.

• Related Discussions

Living room design help for mid-century ranch

Q

Comments (8)
    I see this languishing way down on the Design Dilemma queue. That's not good. There is something so wonderful about the light spaciousness of that room that I'd suggest you go for a very light grey -- I think cool will work better with the blue-green range of colours you are thinking of. White trim. I was thinking it might be best to decide on the fireplace when your furniture is in and the walls are painted, but I suspect carrying the wall cover over it will work best, because it really is a rather imposing chunk, isn't it? Not sure about the aqua ceiling .... I'd like to hear others' opinions about that.
    ...See More

Exterior paint help - Mid Century Modern Ranch

Q

Comments (20)
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Off-white with a bright colored, mid century door was the direction I was leaning, so it sounds like I’m on the right track, @emmarene9, I think the small plants are boxwoods, but I am going to pull those out along with the stones and redo that bed with some more mid-century appropriate, Texas native landscaping - maybe grasses or succulents. And here’s a close up of the iron scrolling that you asked for (dirty and coated in that ugly green paint, but in good shape otherwise).
    ...See More

Mid Century Ranch Plain Jane Curb Appeal Challenge.

Q

Comments (22)
    It looks like the landing area needs some work, but I will leave that for other better qualified people to comment on. My first impression was those awful white downspouts on the front of the house. You should consolidate those downspouts so that you end up with one long run of gutter across the front and one downspout the Left End where it is less noticeable. It's an inexpensive job and would make a big Improvement visually. I did this on the back side of my house where four small downspouts were consolidated into one larger one. (This not only looked much better but it made it easier for me to route the water away from the house, since my neighbor's driveway is only a few feet away on that side.) If it were my house I would paint the downspout to blend in better with the house color.
    ...See More

Looking for paint guidance - ranch mid-century home in CA

Q

Comments (20)
    I think I might try 100% as kandrewspa asked. We had our exterior painted last year, and it was pretty amazing how our siding color lightened up. Also, as kandrewspa suggested, we had the painters do large swatches on all sides. We’re also in CA and have a ranch home, although ours is more Cinderella ranch than MCM. I see Revere Pewter has an LRV of 55. The Repose Gray we used (from Sherwin Wms.) is 58 so not that much lighter, especially in full sun. I would at least try RP at full strength just to see what you think.
    ...See More
  • robo (z6a)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Here's a neutra house with kind of a contrasting band effect across the front

I only have MS paint so consider this just looking into colour blocking.

Anyway, here's a contrast band and a contrast chimney. I don't love it. Too busy IMO

smouse77 thanked robo (z6a)
  • robo (z6a)
    8 years ago

Contrasting front and vestibule with chimney and main body of house all one colour (preferably a colour that matches the roof a little better than what I ended up with) - I prefer this.

smouse77 thanked robo (z6a)
  • l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

This is just my opinion, but if you're going to keep the chimney the same texture as the rest of the house, it's not pretty or interesting enough to make a focal point. Keep same color. If anything, do the pebbled surface a lighter color. If it were me, I'd spend the big bucks on the privacy fence and landscaping for the front, stick with a simple paint scheme.

smouse77 thanked l pinkmountain
  • emmarene9
    8 years ago

I think a breeze block screen suits the house better than horizontal wood. I must know, does the textured part of your house sparkle?

• voila
    8 years ago

You might consider cleaning or power washing the textured area and leave it unpainted. Paint all the stucco, including the chimney, a darker color. Do you have a sidelight window next to your front door? Do you have room for a double door? You could paint the entire entry a bright color.

smouse77 thanked voila
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

Paint all the stucco, including the chimney, a darker color.

In Oregon, yes. In S FL, no.

• smouse77
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Writers block, what color would you recommend?

Voila, we DO have a sidelight but really like it. It looks to be original and let's in beautiful light inside!

here is a close up of the horizontal accent. It looks to have some quartz pieces which do have a little sparkle.

• rockybird
    8 years ago

I like that horrizontal accent! You have to keep it!

• starnold
    8 years ago

I'm always amazed at what a good carpenter can do, and with the turquoise color of the door so very MCM, I wonder if the center panels could just be cut out and tempered glass framed in, (like the orange door above) for an inexpensive makeover?

• voila
    8 years ago

I live in South Florida. Your pebble accent strip should not be painted, just the stucco. Can someone photoshop some paint for her? I wonder if you could use a different front step material rather than the red brick?

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

Something to bring out that pink in the horizontal accent? Should it contrast or be close to it (Sherwin Williams Mellow Coral)?

• smouse77
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I tend to lean toward the cooler tones, gray, white, ect but I'm open! I would LOVE to see a few more options!

• zmith
    8 years ago

Smouse, I was playing around with your house a bit...

I'm too slow and unsavvy with Paint to clean up the front much more than this. I took out the brick wall and used the same pebble on the chimney. I was thinking a solid color chosen from the pebbles might also work.

smouse77 thanked zmith
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

I have a really sad attempt at trying to play with the color! Maybe someone else will be inspired to fix my mess? :) (I like the pebble on the chimney)

smouse77 thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

I think if you are going to pay homage to and keep the pebble strip the same idea needs to go on the chimney and chimney wall. You could buy a very close match terrazzo tile and tile that whole chimney and chimney wall. I think that would look fantastic. Then, do the privacy panel with circles. You would then have texture, a square pattern of the tiled wall and the circles in the privacy screen for interest . I would not paint the bottom band a drastically different color, I would keep it close to the pebble color above. Your "interest" will be in texture, pattern and fabulous landscape.

• smouse77
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone! Great ideas.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

I can't wait to see your final product. You have a lot to work with there, and it's just so different from my home, I love the escape of playing with yours.

• robo (z6a)
    8 years ago

Don't paint your pebbles!

I would paint your house just a simple off white that coordinates with the pebble strip.

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

How about something like this? That chimney and wall are tiled but the chimney section is with darker grout and a larger grout line. I could not get the cement area right but I would remove some , the part I was keeping would be pressure cleaned and i would plant very low ground cover in the seams. I didn't add it but some cool Palm trees would look nice. I also do not have the landscaping exactly right but you get the idea I hope. If you do not like the tile idea that area could be done to very closely match the other pebble area and they could score it for a pattern. If you check also check patio floor resurfacing companies for that as well.

keep an eye in that big tile warehouse in Boynton Beach.

BEFORE

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

AFTER.

smouse77 thanked just_terrilynn
  • awm03
    8 years ago

jtl, that is fabulous. Nice job!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

Sorry, missed your question before. I agree with everyone else about leaving the pebbles alone. The house has been mucked about so much that you could really do anything to it now, but originally houses of that period in S Fl were usually either very pale pastels, like Bermuda pink or pale yellow, or else white with brighter pastel trim. Our house was also built in 1960 and had that exact front door (minus the mailbox--never saw that before), with a white breeze block screen and then matching turquoise accents around the windows. Other houses on our street had bright pink or yellow. The kitchens were coordinated, so we had walnut Formica slab cabinets with white formica counters with turquoise atomic stars, and turquoise appliances.

But remember that AC wasn't ubiquitous back then. We had it, but only used it in July and August. Houses were light to help keep them cool.

Having said all that, I love justerrilynn's idea.

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

Writersblock, I think a pastel door would look very nice as well. Edited to add: I'm also seeing a pink door.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

Thanks, justerrilynn. I'm pretty sure the house would have had aluminum framed awning windows originally, but with the current bronze frames I think your red door looks better.

ETA in Miami Beach there were a fair number of houses from that era that had front windows that consisted of a large fixed central pane, occasionally with smaller jalousies on each side, especially if they were on a main road or had a water view. I guess the lack of ventilation didn't bother the folks who only visited seasonally.

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

Darn! I again spent much time on a before and after for someone no longer with us. Oh well, at least I enjoy it.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

How do you know smouse is gone?

• smouse77
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm still here! Just been super crazy around here.

Justterrilynn, that after is amazing! I wonder if I can sell it to DH? He I really wants cedar siding to cover up the pebbles. Anyway you could do a mock up of that? Maybe that would change his mind.

I love the landscaping also, really clean. We just removed two huge dying trees from out front do I'm not sure if we can get away with moving the palms out front, maybe relocate them?

I wanted to show you guys what it looked like before, lol, before the before...

Note: we bought it last summer. Ignore the wrong time stamp.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

He I really wants cedar siding to cover up the pebbles.

Just have him have a chat with your exterminator. That should fix that.

• smouse77
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I thought it was funny you guys brought up the PINK! That had to go.

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

Here's an argument for your husband...if you get the house cleaned up tidy and close to something that resembles the original intention of the home you will be sitting on a Lot of resale money. Improve what's already there in a way that doesn't go against what the house is. As you have probably already discovered your first idea of remodel costs will be about three times more than what you figured. You can do things a bit differently with this type of home in that you would first clean up the outside and pay homage to its original. Since its been mucked up you can pay homage using some modern day products that jive with what's there. After that and before you start on the interior "pretties" do the improvements to the electric and plumbing, a/c or roof. You will then still be in a good position $$$$$. More than likely you already know all of this and have seen first hand those that just do the pretty stuff, get over stretched on the budget, decide to sell...and then can't pass inspections for a deal to go through. Homes of this age are a whole different kettle of fish.

You could ( some may not agree with this) do a sort of modern siding look on the chimney and chimney wall using the cement board I mentioned above. You could do it inexpensively and then paint to match the rest. I would do wide bands the same as the lower band on the house.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

I was the original pink picker! I figured it'd either get the discussion moving forward or picked apart. It's why I picked the visual mellow coral picture.

:)

So no pink. What direction do you think? Will you stay in the pastel end of things? Or do you have any other absolutely not, it has to go colors ?

• smouse77
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lol, Rob. I'm not into beige either. I think that's it. I really am drawn to the houses in Palm Springs.

As far as the renovations. The exterior is one of our final steps. We have already put on a new roof, new electric, new sewer plumbing, new kitchen, installed HVAC, updated bathrooms. Now we are working on doors, windows and exterior. We are planning on this being our forever home, all our family is nearby so I can't imagine moving away in the next 30 years. This is really our dream house, double lot, close to the beach, close to family, so we want to make choices that we love and can live with for awhile. All without breaking the bank, lol. We ran into a few problems that we weren't planning which set us back a few months, hence waiting to do the exterior for last. I feel bad for our neighbors, time to get this house looking like the gem it can be!

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

Here is the cement board idea done just each side of the chimney. Very low maintenance with very low shrubbery. is there room in front of chimney and before cement area for shrubbery ? #2

OR. #1

• smouse77
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The space is about 12 ft as seen in the picture from the chimney to the driveway. We are having larger Windows placed on either side of the chimney, so a little landscape privacy would be nice without blocking too much light.

We started tearing down the brick wall too!

• l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

I dunno all the ins and outs of it, since I live in the upper midwest, but I would be very wary of having wood close to my house in FLA due to possible pest attracting. But perhaps some Floridans can weigh in on that.

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

Pink, it's the same down here. That's why some are starting to use the cement board.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

Yeah, that was why I said for smouse to have her husband have a chat with the exterminator. I'm not sure that cement board will be that much better--it's anything that creates a space for things to hide.

• smouse77
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ewww.

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

I'm no expert I just know a lot of people are doing cement board around me. I am not sure if they glue then screw and caulk to prevent hiding spaces. Best to check with an expert. However. It can all have the same look with a smooth stucco or other surface and scoring. Here is one with a slight two tone chimney. Not to much but enough to diminish the height a bit .

• smouse77
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I wanted to share an updated picture of our remodel. I'm not thrilled with the yellow door but that's going soon anyway. We haven't decided yet on a privacy screen.
  • robo (z6a)
    7 years ago

Thanks so much for the after! Wow, looks amazing!!!

• smouse77
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oh and, We didn't paint the pebble strip in case we ever want it back.
  • robo (z6a)
    7 years ago

The wood looks amazing!

• Lyban zone 4
    7 years ago

What a great renovation. you must be very pleased.

• cawaps
    7 years ago

Amazing transformation!

• Pipdog
    7 years ago

great job! What color will you paint the front door? I like the horizontal wood.

• powermuffin
    7 years ago

Looks great. I like the yellow door. And the horizontal wood siding is beautiful! maybe you can tie in the privacy screen by including some wood there too.

• zmith
    7 years ago

The house looks great! It's come a long way from your "before before." :)