SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laynemcd24

Rounded Natural Gas Fire Pit Building Advice/Help

4 years ago

So I've decided that I want to get a natural gas fire pit for my backyard. I have a plumber running the gas line so that's covered, but I got a quote for the construction of the fire pit itself and it was much higher than I am willing to pay. I've done a lot of other projects so I feel like I can tackle this project as well. The fire pit that I'm looking to build is going to be something similar to the picture I've attached. From the look of it, the base looks like stone veneer and the top is concrete. I believe I would need a flexible steel track with steel studs for the frame, and some backer board to surround the frame which I could attach the stone veneer to.

My main concerns though are:

1) What backer board do I choose that is flexible enough to make the curve?

2) When pouring the concrete, how do you get the concrete to look nicely finished and stay looking good for years to come with minimal or (preferably) no cracking?

3) How do I secure the concrete top so that it stays securely on the base without risk of falling off?

I am planning on having the inside circle of the fire pit to have a 24" diameter, and the concrete top to be about 12" wide to allow for glassware/ plates or anything else to be able to sit on top of it, so the total diameter will be 4'.

Any advice from someone who knows about this is much appreciated!

Comments (6)