SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
venexiano

Lungs and eyes pain - how to test for air quality (Corona negative)

venexiano
4 years ago

I moved to my new house (built in 1959, Gainesville, Florida) two years ago. Since I am working home in my room (40 days) I feel something wrong in my lungs, especially when I breathe deeply. And my eyes are sore in the morning, it gets slightly better during the day. The eye pain actually started probably 1 year ago and is always there in the morning, except for when I do not sleep in my house, I have no eye problem. I do not think it is a polen allergy, since my eyes have this problem since 1 year. The three big culprits are (I ruled out the forth):

1) Pool. My room faces the pool (standard Chlorine pool), with my bed edge 12 feet away from the pool. So I wonder if it is the pool that gives me the problem, but I asked around people say its unlikely. Is there a way to test my room for Chloramines? The feeling I have in the morning in my eyes is similar to what I feel when I dive in any pool. But I didn't jump in my pool for 7 months (since October)!

2) The new furniture I bought, so I am planning to test my room quality for VOCs, formaldehyde, Legionella etc.

3) The carpet? I vacuum regularly though. Planning to get tiles.

4) Radon. Very unlikely the cause. House tested positive for radon. I did the radon remediation (a fan blows air out of the crawling space), so it should be fine, and radon should not give this symptoms.

I tested negative to Covid19. I am planning:

a) To sleep in the guest room opposite side of the house for a few days
b) To sleep at a friend house for a few days

to see if symptoms stay or go. Any suggestions for testing air quality? Any similar experience?

Thank you!
Best

Alberto

Comments (6)