SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anne_marie_alb

Uveitis in a young cat / probable FIP

14 years ago

I just posted about pancreatitis, and I thought I would try my luck again on this other issue.

I've beeen fostering this young female cat (maybe just over 1 year old) for just over 6 weeks now. She comes from our local (over-populated) shelter where I volunteer.

I took pity on her bec. she had been kept in a cage for a long time and she looked so depressed and seemed to be losing weight. She was on eye med for apparent uveitis in her right eye. At the time, they suspected that toxoplasmosis was the underlying cause (on Clyndamacyn & 2 types on eye meds). We kept treating her for another 3 weeks, but her eye seemed to get worse, and she lost another 4 oz (she is skin & bones in spite of a reasonable food intake). Vet put her on slightly different eye meds for a week. Her eye still got worse. At my insistence and expenses, they finally did some blood work, and analyzed a fecal sample. She tested negative for toxo, but positive for Coronavirus (ELISA titer of 1:1182 consistent with FIP supported by other clinical signs such as uveitis).

Fecal showed heavy infestation of roundworm eggs--so she has got dewormed twice (2 weeks apart).

I seriously considered taking her back to the shelter on account on my other cats, but did not. I talked to the manager, and she agreed to let me give her a break from weeks of eye meds which did not seem to work.

Don't worry, from day one, she never shared litter boxes, food/water bowls, and we were very vigilant on preventing 'physical' contact (grooming, rub noses or bottom smelling). A full time job in itself! However, she does roam around part of the house with our cats during the day, and gets along..

3 weeks after we stopped the eye meds, her eye looks better, but it still has that reddish film if you look at it from the side.

BUT she has not yet gained any weight back (although she has not lost any more either)... she just weighs 4.8 lbs...

She does not eat much at one time, but welcomes some soft food 4-5 times a day, and eats a little bit of dry at night. Otherwise, everything seems pretty normal. No vomiting, no fever, no coughing, no diarrhea. Her activity level certainly could be better, though.

Now the questions:

1. Some odd behavior: she loves to lick our bathroom tiled floor (we keep the door closed now), the metal bars /> from under the bed, and now even a little section of our hardfloor by the bathroom. Looks to me it could be a sign of vitamin deficiency but can't find much on that.

2. How can I help her gain weight? (I don't like to give treats, but have tried a couple with no success). Have tried several wet foods, too, with no success. She is Purina Pro-Plan girl!

3. Is there any hope of recovery for her??

I realize this is a lot to ask, but any input will be appreciated.

Anne-Marie

Comments (12)