SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

Stressed breathing in cat?

solstice98
17 years ago

Hello to All. I'm a frequent poster on the garden side of the forums and am hoping you can help me with a cat problem.

Background first, then the question at the end.

I have a 3 year old calico with a poor health history. As a tiny kitten, fresh from a rescue place, she developed panleukopenia and we almost lost her. The other 18 kittens from the rescue group didn't make it so we felt fortunate that Crazy Putter pulled through. Although she lived, we have always felt she may have suffered some brain damage due to the days and days of very high fever. She's nervous and jumpy around some of the other pets and only in the past year has let my DH get close to her. She's a biter and strikes with lightening speed, especially if you forget her tendencies and pet her on her back near her tail. Seconds later she's fine and ready to snuggle again. She always seems more stressed out than any of the other animals in the house. She loves one of the dogs; pretty much doesn't tolerate any of the other cats or the other dog. We call her Crazy and we mean it.

For the past several months I've noticed that her breathing seems labored. About 1 breath per second and very deep. Her whole ribcage expands and contracts. She doesn't seem bothered by it but it's hard to watch. She occassionally wheezes but not often. I've tried to find something on the web about chronic pulmonary disease in cats but there isn't much there besides asthma. Of course, at the vet she doesn't do it at all. She just gets paralized with apprehension and barely breathes. Then she bites him. She is not the vet's favorite cat although he's proud of the fact that she survived the panleuk.

So I finally get to my questions:

Does this sound like a familiar pulmonary condition to anyone?

Is there someplace on the web I can go to and review symptoms?

Do you think this lung thing might be tied in to her earlier illness?

Thanks for your patience and your comments,

Kate

Crazy but beautiful Putter

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths