Doves, Doves, Doves, Doves, Doves

Pat z5/6 SEMich

In an effort to discourage Doves from butting off ALL other birds from ALL my feeders ALL day long, I'm thinking of only putting out the feeders at about 6 p.m. each day when the Doves seem to disappear. Does this sound crazy to you? I'm very old and quarantined. I tried only putting out tubes without saucers, but Grosbeaks and Cardinals like saucers. Please don't tell me to throw birdfood on the ground, the Doves here prefer feeders. Any ideas?

SaveComment12Like
Comments (12)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
popmama

I don't think it's crazy if it works for you. I perform all kinds of antics to keep squirrels from eating bird food. Whatever it takes!

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Pat z5/6 SEMich
socks

Sure do whatever works. Maybe in time the doves will relocate. Al little sad for you though—you have wait all day to see the birds you like?

Save     Thanked by Pat z5/6 SEMich
colleenoz

But are the other birds around after 6pm? IME most birds go to bed at about the same time if they’re day birds.

arcy_gw

I agree--birds aren't feeding after 6PM as a rule. The saucers are an issue, how do you not get squirrels raiding or water spoiling the seed? Stick to a tube or house feeder...the birds will adapt--but the Doves may also!!

tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱

Well, cardinals and grosbeaks among others will feed after six but they may move elsewhere without food all day.

tj

1 Like Save     Thanked by Pat z5/6 SEMich
socks

Are they the smallish grey mourning doves? I didn't realize they can be so pesky. Pigeons, yes.

Save    
ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado

Could be the darned collard doves. I had bird feeders in Phoenix and I eventually gave up since all it did was attract hoards of those pests. One day I counted over 60 in my tiny yard. There was three Inca doves mixed with them but it wasn’t worth dealing with the others.

Now I can’t have bird feeders because we have an army of house sparrows and mice. I put up oranges for the Orioles but that’s it.

i don’t know how to discourage pigeons/doves, I wish I had a better answer. You could go with only putting out a finch feeder at the expense of not getting cardinals and grosbeaks. In my experience, many other birds except finches (including house sparrows) can’t access the seed through the small openings and don’t like to bother with the tiny nyger seed.

pudgeder

You could always take them out during dove season.

;-)

Save    
Pat z5/6 SEMich

Zach, I LOVE Cardinals and Grosbeaks the most, but your idea makes the most sense. Darnit.

Save    
Lukki Irish

I’m in SE Michigan and have several feeders but have not ran into a situation like that. The doves in my area all feed on the ground. The birds that kind of bully the other birds in our yard are the black birds.

It used to frustrate me because I love seeing a variety of birds, but one day it dawned on me that it’s not my place to decide who eats and who doesn’t. So now I leave it up to Mother Nature to direct the traffic and I just try to embrace them all.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Pat z5/6 SEMich
jemdandy

Cardinals do a late evening feeding up to darkness to tank up for the night. Most other birds have already retired for the night. This behavior is more noticeable in winter. Cardinals prefer sunflower seed over any other. At my feeder, they ignore the small spherical seeds such as millet. Experiment to discover what food your doves prefer, and then set up a separate feeder with that food for the doves in hopes the doves will leave the cardinal feeder alone. But then, that might attract more doves!

As an aside, the city of Milwaukee had a severe pigeon problem. These birds were fouling manufacturer's products that were temporarily stored outside, for example, pickup truck frames made by A.O. Smith. Peregrine Falcons were imported and nesting sites set up with cooperation of the power company. After about 3 years, a breeding population was established and pigeons began to disappear. The pigeon is a favorite prey of the Peregrine falcon. Today, there are barely any pigeons in Milwaukee, and a breeding population of Peregrines have been established. Peregrins were threatened 40 yrs ago.

Pat z5/6 SEMich

I wish my Cooper's Hawks had the same effect.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides Great Design Tree: The Dove Tree
With distinctive fluttery flowers and a height that towers over the landscape, the dove tree provides a respite from the summer sun
Full Story
Gardening for Butterflies Garden for Wildlife to Reap Rich Rewards
When you plant with animals and insects in mind, you make gardening easier, the planet healthier and yourself more present
Full Story
Color 10 Pretty Ways to Refresh a Gray Palette
Energize your favorite gray shades with pick-me-up accents as fresh as a spring day
Full Story