SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_trask

Help! In desperate need of help deciding on exterior paint

Michelle Trask
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

This week (maybe as soon as Wed) I need to have my colors picked out for the painter. A month ago this search started: got the color wheel, read internet articles, talked to many hardware/paint stores, drove around neighborhoods, bought numerous samples of paint, (first on cardboard, then big chunks on the house), and played with Sherwin Williams visualizer like it's my job!Last week the contractor replaced necessary word rot in some trim and replaced our farmers porch columns (also rotting) which now look amazing!So the one thing we know is that all of our trim will be a bright white. What we can't decide on is the body, shutters, and door color.
It may help to know I live in Plymouth, MA, have a South facing house with clapboard (other 3 sides of my house are cedar shingles) and love the beach/ocean. My favorite color is Navy so my initial thought was light/med gray body color, navy blue shutters, maybe a navy blue door (or red).But then there are many gray houses around me (a popular house color around here) so my fiance and I both thought we should try something a little different.That's when we focussed on blue grays, medium to dark grays. And I thought I had finally settled on Sherwin Williams Granite Peak for a body. However then I got 3 different Navy Blue paints, and think it will just blend in, rather than contrast /complement. So then I take another ride today, and see a few houses that I've never seen before with my original idea: light gray body, beautiful navy blue shutters.I know this is wordy, thanks for staying with me if you're still reading. Let me know your suggestions and honest truth.Hope I can add a photo below and please all any questions I may not have answered. Thank you so much!!

Comments (18)