SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angie_mccraebarazas

Help potting my first meyer lemon tree

I plan on buying a 3-5 ft. Meyer lemon tree and planting it in a half whisky barrel. I have never grown a lemon (or citrus) tree but have always wanted one and now we have the space for it. (I am in Zone 5 and I will need to bring it inside for the winter.) I have did some research online on how to plant it and what to use. Some have recommended buying a pre-made citrus potting mix, but we don't have it readily available where I live. Others have said the pre-made mixes use manure and manure is not good to use with citrus because it compacts or it may have arsenic if they use chicken manure.

So, since I can't buy it anyway, I plan to make my own mix but cannot find a definitive "recipe" of what to use. I have read to use equal parts of peat, course sand and perlite or vermiculite, to use equal parts of potting soil, manure and perlite, to use bark instead of peat, to use 90% sand and equal parts of potting soil and perlite, to use crushed brick or clay, someone even used Turface (what they use for baseball diamonds). Some say to use organic, others say inorganic is best. It's all very confusing! I plan to drill holes in the bottom of the barrel for drainage and to put it on castors so it's not sitting directly on the deck. Should I put a layer of pea gravel on the bottom before putting the soil? I have read where gravel is not recommend although I do not know why. I would appreciate some guidance on what to use and any advise on potting lemon trees.

Comments (10)