SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonechickchris

WOndering if 1 of my Meyer Lemon Trees in not a Meyer afterall?

bonechickchris
13 years ago

Hi everyone!

I have one of my Meyer Lemon trees pictured here. About 2-2 1/2 years ago, I bought a lemon tree label as a Meyer from Ott's Exotic Plants in PA. They have huge citus trees that I believe they take cuttings from to start new plants to sell.

When I bought it, it was still immature and did not flower. About a year ago, it gots its first flowers on it. Today, it has its first mature fruits on it that it has ever had.

Now that the lemons are mature, after looking at these mature lemons, I am wondering if this tree is a Meyer Lemon.

Just based on my own experience, ( which is not Necessarily a lot) Meyer Lemons were on the smaller side when compared to a regular Lemon, have a smoother skin, and sometimes also a touch of orange to the skin color of a really ripe fruit.

These lemons seem awefully large for Meyer Lemons. The lemon on the right has a circumrence of about 10 inches.

They pores of the skin seem to be larger and more bumpy than of a Meyer Lemon. Plus, they do not look like the lemons I currently have that are just about mature on my other Meyer Lemon trees.

The fruit are just about fully mature, so I guess I can just taste them to figure it out for sure, but I was wondering if by the pictures of the leaves and fruit, that maybe if it is not a Meyer, someone can tell me what type of lemon it is.

I am trying to think of the other lemon varieties they sold at the store to maybe single out what else it could be if it is not a Meyer, and this was possibally mis-labeled. I know they also grew Ponderosa, but I know that this is not that at all. I think they may of sold one more variety which maybe I can call and see what it was.

Who knows, I could just be wrong and this may be a Meyer after all, I just never grew or saw a Meyer lemon with a circumference of 10 inches before.

ANyway, if any have suggestions to share, it would be greatly appreciated! It would be dissapointing though knowing these past 2 years I have been growing something that is not what I thought it was! LOL!

Thanks guys! Christy

{{gwi:645550}}

if you look closely, you can see my new pet! LOL! A ladybug that has been living on my tree in my house for almost a week since the weather got very cold! I figure she would have no way to survive freezing outside, and seems to be just fine inside! LOL!

{{gwi:645551}}

{{gwi:645552}}

Comments (12)