SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_640302828

Replacing original vinyl windows in stucco

Greg
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I need to replace our original vinyl windows. One method I saw was to cut the nail flange and do a full frame replacement. Another was to chip out around the window exposing the nail flange and taking the whole window out then patch the stucco or trim it with AZEK (not sure how you'd water proof where the stucco was taken out though). Another method I've seen is to leave the frame and do retrofit with a stucco flange. Of course the window would be a little smaller but you wouldn't have to cut into the stucco. This method is most commonly done with aluminum windows but I've seen it suggested that you can still do it with vinyl if you put down some solid wood filler to support the window frame. Which of these methods is recommend?

I have two windows where there's a decorative raised stucco frame around the windows with a half moon window on top (see attached picture). I had Pella come out and give an estimate (wanted to get a feel for pricing and what method they'd use) and they said they would have to tear out the stucco around these two windows but the other windows they would be cutting the nail flange to take out the windows. The other windows stick out from the stucco about an inch. If I left the vinyl frame and did retrofit I'd have to cut that flush with the stucco.

I'm a fairly handy DIYer and I've been looking at windows from the Window e-store (windowestore.com). Their windows are made by Simonton. Any thoughts on those windows? I'm in Utah and I don't think I can get the brands like Soft-Lite or Okna here. Are there better windows that would sell to a DIYer?

Comments (10)