SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_969703927

Challenging kitchen design help

Elie Dassi
4 years ago

Hi all! We have really gained so much from the community here and we really appreciate all your help and advice! We are planning a kitchen that might prove mildly fun to advise on, I hope! Most of the interest will come from what we know, which is what appliances we want in the space. We plan to have the following (and don't plan to change):

• Three dishwashers (full size)
  • 36" range and oven
  • Double wall oven
  • Separate cooktop (either gas or glass electric). Current thinking is a 4 burner 24" gas. Not on island.
  • fridge (35.75" wide and 36.25" deep)
  • 2 microwaves
  • Not appliances, but 3 sinks, two on walls and one in the island

There is a separate space for eating so no eating in the kitchen. We will store disposables, cereal etc. in that space. There is also a pantry where we plan to store things we use only occasionally such as specialty pans, ice cream maker, etc., as well as food.
I couldn't figure out how to get the measurements for the windows and the doors to show on the plan below, but here they are, facing the wall with the windows.

• Window to the left is 61" and is high, starting a few feet off the counter (sorry I can't get the exact measurement now) and the one on the left is 62.5" and that is very low, below counter depth
  • The doorway to your right is 42" archway
  • The doorway to your left is 36", but we will probably widen it by at least 4 inches.
  • The wall behind you has a 31" wide built in cabinet that is the original with the house (mid century) that is 30" deep (I like it but we are open to getting rid of it. Next to that, towards the 36" door, is a closet that opens from a hall (not the kitchen) and also has HVAC ducting. If not too much of a pain, we could reroute the duct to where the pantry is and open up that closet. But it would have to be a really good idea because we'd be giving up a coat closet which is a desideratum.

Much as I'd love to keep both windows, I have a feeling we wont because the window on the right (facing the wall with the windows) starts below counter height.
Any and all ideas are welcome, just bear in mind that the appliance choices were already made. Thanks so much everyone!!!

Comments (21)