SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
csjhm

Help us with colours & design for this challenging kitchen upgrade!

Soni
6 years ago

This kitchen is currently in my in-laws house. We have purchased their home and will be moving there in a few months’ time.

So, as you can imagine we’re keen to make a few changes to make it look & feel like our home, not theirs:)

I have designed new kitchens in both our previous homes quite easily on my own, but this kitchen is a real challenge in that the cabinets, benchtops and aluminium must stay (to save costs) so am finding this project a real struggle to come up something I’m totally happy with.

To me this kitchen right now looks very hotch-botch. Small bitsy cabinets here & there and too many different colours and textures… bit of glass in some cabinets, a variety of benchtops. Don’t like the inset on the cabinets and prefer no handles!

Personally, I like more of a modern/Scandinavian style that looks tidy and uniform.

Darker colours always look great.

A bit of texture would be good, stone, dark wood, concrete… (even just in the décor? Eg. barstools, pendants, etc.)

We want to somehow make this kitchen look amazing with as minimal spending as possible, but at the same time working in with these existing benchtops and brown aluminium windows to make them blend in or even look stunning!

Read below what we plan so far… I’m keen to hear all your thoughts/ideas. Thanks in advance!

WILL GO:

Ceiling lights. (Will replace with recessed LED lights)

Macrocapa beams and window surrounds. (Will paint these out to match existing wall colour)

Vinyl. (Will change for wood look planking – preferably a light colour.

Microwave. (Will move into scullery and make the cupboards above ovens into 2 tall cabinets)

Unit beside fridge. (Will replace with tall narrow cabinet the same depth as the fridge unit)

Over-bench coffee/display unit. (Hopefully possible)

Splashback?

NEED TO DECIDE ON:

CABINETS: paint existing or replace?

What colour/s? (If 2 contrast colours are used which cabinets in which colour?)

TOEKICKS: colour?

SPLASHBACK: colour/texture?

PENDANT/S? (If any.?)

ANY OTHER FEATURES/ADDITIONS THAT THIS KITCHEN NEEDS TO TOP IT OFF.

I would love the island bench to have a bit more style if it was possible somehow.

I thought of a thick concrete top but existing island benchtop really needs to stay to match with the bench under the window.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations