SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spider96

Non-Kitchen design challenge- need help!

spider96
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to post a non-kitchen question here, but I can't think of another board with as many talented folks as there are on this one. And I'm desperate.

I have a delima and 4 days to solve it...if there's even a solution. I would like to see if it's possible to change this jack and jill bathroom to 2 separate baths. Why I did not come to this realization 6 months ago, or even one month ago, is beyond me. Believe me, I have been kicking myself for days because I thought it was too late (they have already roughed in the plumbing). I finally got the courage to just ask my builder about it yesterday, and surprisingly, he did not have a heart attack.

He said if we can figure out a way to change it before the electrical walk through this week, he has no problems doing it and the cost to change things would be minimal. (extra expense for the additional bathroom, of course) However, he said he's not always the best at figuring these things out on paper.

So, I thought I would ask you wonderful people. Is there any way to make this work without completely getting rid of closets? I'd ideally like a small vanity, toilet, and bathtub for each child. If that's not possible, maybe one could just have a shower. If that's not possible, maybe they could each have their own toilet/vanity and share a bathtub/shower. (that wouldn't be ideal, but still better)

Oh, and the word "laundry" is in the bedroom- just ignore that. Thanks in advance for any help!!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (30)

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

The answer is yes, because the American Standard bath template that was used for years to get a full bath into smaller houses and spaces was 5x7.

The tub goes across the 5' width and the toilet and vanity line up along the 7' width next to the tub. Unfortunately I can't post a pic right now but it is possible

• cpartist
    13 years ago

it's possible if you're willing to go to one smaller closet for each child. I am on an iPad right now, otherwise I'd show you also, but think in terms of dividing that whole bath/closet space in half, with the closet in front of the bath from the other br. I know I'm not explaining well.

each bath would be approximate 7' long x 6' wide, so when you walk into the bath you'll be looking towards the shorter dimension. closets would then each be approximately 7' long x 2 1/2' deep.

• Related Discussions

Need a Challenge? Help me update my kitchen!

Q

Comments (6)
    Definitely paint cabinets. I like white--it is timeless. If you do the "wood" planks, maybe choose a dark shade--kind of in right now. To me, simple hardware is pretty timeless too--knobs or simple bin pulls, etc. Could you mount the microwave on a shelf under the short cab that is where the fridge used to be? Also, there are Sharp microwaves that can mount under cabinets. You could look into that. Are you keeping the stove? If you can afford it, replacing that would be a nice update. Not sure what your budget is. Are you going to do a backsplash? Beadboard might be a good option. As for colors, what colors are the rooms next to this one? Have a nice weekend. I look forward to seeing what others say.
    ...See More

Color-challenged couple needs help w/remodeled kitchen walls!

Q

Comments (6)
    i was never into gray until i saw mystery's kitchen. i love them now and for you...that color would really sing with the bordeaux and gray in the stone. wood looks lovely next a rich gray as well. i have a ralph lauren wheel here....i love polaris gray...soft and towards an old silver in tone...but (ugly name) sweatshirt gray is also gorgeous. grey stone and neutral graY work as well/ i'd grab a few samples and see how they woek in the space. i think they would be very elegant myself
    ...See More

Please Help! Design Challenged - Kitchen Hardware!!

Q

Comments (9)
    My granite is Sienna Bordeaux/Typhoon Bordeaux (our granite yard used the name interchangeably). The whole kitchen remodel was planned around it. The big reveal will be coming -- soon I hope. Had a few glitches along the way. Range hood installation is taking very, very long. Contractor that was doing it didn't bother to pre-measure so that the vent was placed in the right place -- he thought the old vent space for OTR MW would be fine for a chimney hood --- wrong!!!!! (Only about 12" or 15" too low) So now, a lot of tile backsplash will have to be pulled out & bracing put in behind the wall (vent will run right through a stud). Anyway, I know you will choose beautiful hardware for your cabinets. There is so much to choose from!
    ...See More

Help us with colours & design for this challenging kitchen upgrade!

Q

Comments (16)
    a black slate (more of a dark gray) can look great in a modern style kitchen. The wood look tiles though, be careful as some can look rather cheesy. they are fast becoming dated because of this. have you considered some fossilized bamboo? this one from CaliBamboo is one of the better qualities. (they have all colors) https://www.calibamboo.com/product-grey-hardwood-floors-vintage-moonlight-9009008001.html? porcelain tile option or, think about feathering in some of the black hex tiles like this, or doing a cool effect w/lighter and darker tiles in a herringbone. these are the blues, but you could do just the white, or grays/blacks.
    ...See More
  • spider96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmmm....I must be design challenged because I'm not following that, but it sounds hopeful. Thanks!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I think if you gave each kid their own vanity and had them share the tub/shower, that would be ideal. If you can give each their own toilet, even better, but if not, it would not be so awful to have them share. Having 2 separate full kid's baths next to each other seems excessive unless you are in a real high end area. I also think that losing the closet space might be a regret. The space to do the 2 full baths has to come from somewhere.
    Also keep in mind, you will now have to clean 2 tubs, 2 toilets and the 2 vanities (the vanities seem to already have been the plan).
    You will have tax consequences for another bath. Depending where you are, that could be costly.

I'd consider how old the kids are. If they are off to college potentially in the next few years or so, you may find you have a house that has more bathrooms than people.

If you moved the entrance doors to the bathroom to be on the other side of the vanities, you'd have an easy way to give each more privacy. A pocket door on each side of the linen closet would preserve space by not having any swing.

If you want them to both have their own toilets, you;d have to lose the linen closet. Like this: {{!gwi}}

• spider96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dianalo,
    Thanks so much- that is a really great idea. I will save this and show it to my builder.

One thing though might change your mind on whether or not we should do separate baths- our house is over 6000 square feet, it and it currently only has 3 1/2 baths. (the master, kids bath, and a guest room bath) Again, why it didn't strike me as an issue earlier, I do not know. I guess because this is the set up we have now and it works fine for us. I am concerned for resale purposes because for the size of our house, most anyone wanting that would want more bathrooms.
    Also, our kids are very young and opposite gender. Sure, they could make do and share, but I'm just not sure in the long run that makes as much sense.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Great suggestion dianalo. Separate toilets and vanities are good. The only other thing you might do (for resale value) would be to change that small closet on the left (in dianalo's version) to a shower for the shared tub area.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Ok.. with opposite genders and young ages, that makes giving separate more of an issue. If you had 2 teen boys or girls, then you would get less mileage out of it.

If you really wanted to give each their own full bath, then I'd change the layout to this:
    {{!gwi}}

I gave one child a shower and one a tub. You can pick which for which. The shower one gets the walk in closet.

• spider96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dianalo,

You are amazing! How did you come up with that so fast?
    THANK YOU!! Printing this one as well!

Do you think there's any way (if I wanted to give them each a tub) to turn that small closet on the left into a bathtub area for the front bedroom? Then I could adjust the divider between the 2 remaining closets (on the right) so that they each have a closet measuring about 5'4" x 4'7"....is that a decent size?

• homeagain
    13 years ago

We'll we didn't exactly get off to a friendly start but since I can't resist a challenge...

You will lose your linen closet, have to change your plumbing rough in considerably and might have to move a wall out 3-4 inches but you gain windows in both baths. Or you could do the same thing with the baths on the interior and leave the closets on the exterior.

• spider96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, homeagain. These are great. I love this set up!!

Unfortunately, we can't add any windows at this point, but I could actually rotate the vanities to go on the outside wall and move the door over a bit to make space for that.

Which wall are you talking about that needs to move 3-4 inches?

• plllog
    13 years ago

Spider, Now that you have a layout...one of the things that people always want is windows in bathrooms! A powder room without isn't bad, and a skylight is a compromise, but a window is the best thing ever. Why can't you add a couple of small windows? If you're out of money, okay, but it's a lot easier to remodel while you're building than later.

• cpartist
    13 years ago

as soon as I can steal dh computer, I'll draw out what I was suggesting.

• homeagain
    13 years ago

The reason that one of your bedroom walls would need to be moved is the end to end bathtubs overlap the framed wall. You might be able to find slightly shorter tubs and this wouldn't be an issue but I did try to keep everything to scale working in the space that you have. Even with the second bath posted in my other post the toilet is too crowded without moving the wall slightly.

Well, if you don't need the windows, I would leave the baths interior.... The vanity could be changed to the other wall in both baths and you would have more counter space.

But I would never miss the opportunity to have a window in a room if it's even a remote possibility...

You could still have the larger vanity on the outside wall and put a couple of clerestory awning windows above the mirror....

• spider96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Homeagain, THANK YOU AGAIN!!! This is so incredibly helpful and I love all of these options. My builder is going to be so impressed with me! I am glad we are on civil terms again. :)

Plllog, I agree that a window would be ideal. I think I am not allowed to change the windows because of a rule about the windows lining up with the downstairs windows. I have seen a few houses that break the rule, so I'm not sure how strict they are...it won't hurt to ask!

Is there anyone who thinks adding the extra bath and decreasing closet space is a bad idea?

• homeagain
    13 years ago

If you definitely can't do the windows, then to keep from moving all of the rough in plumbing I would do this one

• cpartist
    13 years ago

Here is my suggestion since you're still at the point where things can be moved.

{{!gwi}}

I used everything from your original plan and didn't change the size of any of the plumbing; just the bathroom sizes and the closets. You'd lose the linen closet, but heck I'm sure you can find a place for that. I agree with a house your size, you should have separate baths for each. Both bedrooms remain the size they were also. Obviously the closet doors would be centered in the closet, but I'm working on a laptop and not my home computer.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Actually, I disagree with conserving the interior plumbing. If the baths are on outside walls there's no hope of ever putting in windows. As developments age, even if they started with really specific rules, those often relax. Meantime, if there's any hope that you can get approval for windows there, may as well continue the work in that direction.

BTW, I'd also consult a closet planner, unless you're good at that, for how to make the most of those, since they're a less common shape. Perhaps it's as simple as an L for hanging with the short wall by the door for pegs or accessory shelves, but someone cleverer than I might have a genius notion. Maybe a lazy susan the shelves in the hanging corner. Maybe hanging on both short sides, shoe/bag/belt cubbies along the lower part of the long wall with underwear drawers on top, and a dressing mirror in the center flanked by hooks for doodads. I can see that in my head, but don't know if it'll work well.

As to your other question, ten feet of linear hanging space is adequate for most kids, and you should have more than that in those closets. The rooms are large so they can always be supplemented with wardrobe cabinets. The current trend is to have small auxiliary bedrooms with shared bathrooms, and oversized, massive masters. You have good sized rooms there, however, making for a much nicer house. Having a separate bathroom for each is terrific! As far as I can see, you'd be getting a pretty similar amount of hanging space, only losing the linen closet. I don't think that's such a big sacrifice, especially thinking long term. Future owners might have two girls in one room and a boy in the other. Separate baths could be a selling point.

• mountaineergirl
    13 years ago

We have a jack/jill bath which the 2 youngest boys used, then the oldest had his own bath off his bedroom. The jack/jill bath worked great - but then again they were of the same gender.

If I could do it over - I would've had their baths to just have showers and no tub/shower unit. Boys never take baths. Your daughter may want a tub, but your son will be happy with just a shower which would save a couple feet in space perhaps??

I think everyone has really good suggestions, but I would tend to go with the plans that have a window.

• spider96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cpartist,
    That is a great one, too! Thanks so much. I went from not thinking it would work to having some great options. I really appreciate it.

Plllog, thanks for your closet suggestions, and I agree. I definitely need to have them well planned if they are getting smaller and oddly shaped.

I am amazed by the people on this board and how you just pull out toilet and sink layouts as if it's nothing...it's a very smart and talented group here. Thanks again to everyone.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I am not so sure how far along with framing building you are, but your builder will know right away what is easy to change and what is going to be a lot.
    You mention electrical walk through and I am not sure if you mean your electrician or an inspection by the town. You may not want to put off the inspection if at all possible (depends how awful your town is to work with).
    If this is a second floor, a skylight would be wonderful (esp the opening kind), but even a solatube would help. A window is the best but it sounds like you won't be allowed.

Your builder will now have several options and will tell you what is feasible. Try to put them in preference order and see how that affects cost and timeline (and issues with the town for making big changes on the fly). You have caught this just in time and this may be something you will really appreciate having changed last minute.

I have had a few "aha" moments about our plan in the last few weeks and thought that after all the time and effort previously (4 years worth), that I had nothing left to tweak. Luckily, my demo has not even started, so it is not too late for my changes either, lol. By the time we start, we will have a lot to go over with our g.c., but all are thought through and dh agrees, so we had better start soon before things change even more! ;)

• research_queen
    13 years ago

This thread (and others like it) are why I so enjoy this website and this forum in particular. So many talented and generous individuals. Just my two cents.
    (oh, and I really like dianalo's drawing with 2 separate bathrooms...thought that was great. Gives you exactly what you were looking for)

• Linda Gomez
    13 years ago

I was looking at homeagain's closets. All of the closets in our current house are walk ins like those. The door is centered and it is 6 ft wide. Along each side, perpendicular to the door wall are the hangings rods. Dh's has double rods on each side; mine has double on one side & the other has one for dresses & long dress pants. I had 2 boys in 1 room; their closet had double on one & single on the other--we never needed to change out seasonal clothes--there has always been enough room for all clothes (except for my dh--work uniforms have taken up a lot of space). Double shelf where possible. Dh's & mine each have shoe racks straight ahead when we walk in the door. (2 closets in master--I don't have to compete with his shoes & clothes!)

• Susan
    13 years ago

a long time ago my former mil had a similar dilemma.
    she placed a large tub and shower unit between the two powder rooms, so the tub/shower could be accessed easily from either side. each side of the tub had an opaque slding door, so one using the shower/tub could have the same privacy as one using the toilet.
    worked out great, she had it between her master bath and the guest bathroom.
    hth,s.

• research_queen
    13 years ago

I have a jack and jill bathroom between 2 boys rooms. When I redo that bathroom, I will be getting rid of the tub and putting in a standing shower. They rarely have baths (and if they want to, they can always use another bathroom in the house. Like yours, mine is a larger home). It will add more space to an already small room.

• spider96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks still waters- that's helpful.
    It's interesting that people say boys don't take baths....I guess doing just a shower is something I should consider.
    I sent all of these to my builder but I haven't heard back- I will update this with the "winning" layout! :)

• lyvia
    13 years ago

this is a great learning thread on so many levels:
    1. plan enough bathroom
    2. Think through the kids area
    3. Ask for help when frazzled (people here are marvelous!)
    4. Every change cascades
    5. Expect a complex conversation, expect effort to make the spatial things clear, expect tweaks and style differences. This is really excellent prep for my gc conversations to come. I can't simply say "move that," and expect that to be the end of the conversation.

One wierd thing I'm learning is that I am overly attracted to plans that are symmetrical from the top, even though this has little to do with how they "live". Good to know my own bias.

• lascatx
    13 years ago

I think a house that large needs at least one more bathroom, so I think you are wise to make the change now. A window is desirable, and one that opens is better than a vent. I hated the port hole type window we had in one master bathroom -- didn't open and only served to turn the shower/toilet area into an oven in hot afternoon sun -- so consider where your sunlight is if you look into windows.

If you decrease closet space, consider adding built-ins inthe room as well as closet organizers. You could use the corners of the rooms or the spaces between the windows and have dresser/bookshelf space, desk space -- just figure out what you need. And that can be done later -- except that having an outlet in the right place for a desk or possibly chargers, lighting, radio, etc. would be good to consider now.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I like cpartist's idea. There's plenty of room in each bathroom and still some closet space...plus, either room could be the boy or girl room. The rooms are more than big enough to add an armoire or extra storage space. I still have an old armoire I used when I was 7. They're wonderful :)

• spider96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lyvia, I agree, a great learning experience....too bad I didn't learn about bathrooms earlier in the process. Maybe someone can learn from my mistake, though. I'm also drawn to the symmetrical layouts.

As for which layout is best and questions about windows, I'm still waiting for the builder to get back to me. Patience is just one of many things I am learning, and I am not very good at it. Waiting for people to get back to me is my least favorite part of this process....no one seems to have the sense of urgency that I do! LOL!

• spider96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just wanted to report the final decision on this- I met with the builder and KD yesterday, and we are using a version of homeagain's bathroom with both bathrooms being on the interior wall. However, one will be a shower so that we don't have to encroach on bedroom space. They have changed it up a bit and figured out how to give each child a 4-5 foot vanity....don't ask me how, I was lost in the process. (they were actually drawing with marker on the floor) Both closets will also stay a decent size, although one will be long and the other deep....I'd have to actually post the layout for it to make any sense.

Thanks again everyone for your wonderful ideas!!