SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

May 2020, Week 1

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

At least the weather finally feels like Spring. Well, except when it feels like summer. Maybe for those of you expecting nights in the 40s at the end of the week, it will feel like winter. Why can't Oklahoma weather ever behave itself?

May always is such a period of transition, with cool-season crops beginning to finish up and produce their harvest, even as we are still planting warm-season crops. In our southern Oklahoma garden, some of the cool-season herbs are bolting, while the volunteers of warm-season herbs, like basil, are just now popping up out of the ground. Some of the prettiest flowers in our garden right now are the purple flowers of the chives. Bees and butterflies simply adore them.

May remains a good time to plant, but remember that permanent plantings of trees, shrubs, vines and perennials that go into the ground in May will need to be watered carefully and consistently as the hotter weather arrives. There's lots of warm weather flowering plants available in nurseries now, but I'm just counting on zinnia and cosmos volunteers to continue popping up and creating beauty around our garden this year.

Generally May is the month when I really start seeing pests in the garden, but I haven't seen that many yet. I am not sure if we have the persistently wet autumn and winter weather to thank for that, or the late cold nights, but either way, it is nice to see fewer pests than usual for once.

I have whined incessantly about the endless rain, mud and puddles, and noticed yesterday that our county is among a handful of counties in southern Oklahoma that was approved for disaster relief funds for agricultural producers because of all the rainfall we had in the fall and winter months. We often have disaster declarations for drought, but I don't know if I can remember any other time we've had a disaster caused by too much rainfall. Usually when we get too much rain, it comes as a river flood, and is shorter-lived overall. This fall/winter of nonstop rain just made a real mess of things for the guys who grow winter wheat, for example, and I hope the disaster relief funds help them.

The wildflowers are glorious all over right now and it is so good to see them. We have tons of bees and butterflies everywhere enjoying them and the lovely weather. Since rain hasn't fallen lately and because we have been very windy, we finally had a week last week in which there were very few mosquitoes around. It is about time! Of course, today we had biting horseflies so I guess it is always something.

Weeds are growing like weeds, of course, and the lawn has to be mowed weekly, and twice a week probably would be better but nobody has time for that.

In our garden, the best-looking plants are the pepper plants in full bloom and with young fruit on them. The tomatoes in the front garden are lagging behind, but some of them are starting to bloom and set fruit. The tomatoes in large pots by the house were planted quite a bit earlier, are quite a bit larger and some of them have quite a bit of fruit. The oldest SunGold plant has produced two ripe tomatoes, which may not sound like much, but they were the first ripe tomatoes this year so that made them extra tasty to our tomato-starved taste buds.

Have a great week everyone and be sure to let us know what's happening in your yards and gardens this week.

Dawn

Comments (72)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting