SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

May 2020, Week 4, The Rainy Week....

Want to be happy this week? Just don't look at the forecast. That's all I have to say about a forecast that includes rain in it every single day.

Down here at our end of the state, the constant rain and the heat have combined to make it feel hot and muggy most days....make that hot, muggy and muddy. Oh and mosquito-y. I believe this week's weather, after today and tomorrow, will be a bit cooler though, so maybe the heat index values will stay down a bit.

Garden chores? Well, heck, what chores can one do if it is raining every single day? I don't know how to even think about garden chores. I'm going to be happy if we just find a way to mow the mud and the wet grass. Does sitting indoors watching it rain outdoors count as a chore? If so, it is not a pleasant one. I had to wade through ankle deep water yesterday just to reach the hummingbird feeder so I could refill it. My shoes and feet were not amused by the standing water. Fire ants will float in standing water. Did y'all know that? They form balls/clumps that are nothing but fire ants. It is hideous to encounter one of those balls of floating ants and I know to watch for them and avoid them.

It is May, so planting can continue, if anyone can find a place to plant something that isn't buried underneath standing water. Ditto for weeding---maybe you can weed this week and maybe you can't. I think it depends on how much wet soil/mud might be clinging to weed roots when you pull them.

Our flowers remain in bloom despite the constant assault of rain, small hail and wind, and the veggies are doing well, but several unplanted spaces in my garden remain too muddy and too weedy to plant, and I am tempted to cover them up with plastic and just solarize them for the next 6-8 weeks. It isn't like they ever are drying out enough to remove the weeds or work the soil up for planting. Any more planting that I want to do likely will have to be done in containers.

We do have some trees that need to be pruned back, and pruned back hard. The constant rainfall is making them grow like mad, and the limbs heavy with foliage are hanging down over the driveway much more than usual. It is time to do some pruning and some limbing up of those trees. I like their shade, but don't want their low-hanging limbs hitting every vehicle that comes up the driveway.

I want to go plant shopping this weekend, but if I do, I am going to have to have a plan for whatever I buy, and that plan likely will involve planting into containers. It would be an injustice to ask any newly purchased plants to deal with our mud/standing water/swamp/lake. By the time we finally dry up, it probably will be to hot to plant anything new. That's because we aren't going to dry out again for weeks and weeks if we get all the rain that they have in our forecast. So far, on a daily basis, we are getting more rain than they said we would, not less.

What's everyone planning to work on this week, assuming the weather allows us to work outdoors?

Here's this week's 7-day qualitative precipitation forecast. Read it and weep.

7-Day QPF

Dawn

Comments (100)