SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Carrot Bacon? Really?

annie1992
4 years ago

OK, I just had to. I've seen this all over the internet, and so I sliced a couple of carrots with my peeler, marinated them in the maple syrup/liquid smoke/etc mixture and 10 minutes in the air fryer.

It looks kind of like bacon. It's crunchy. That's where the similarity ends, the stuff is nothing at all like bacon, LOL. It's not bad, Elery says it tastes like BBQ potato chips, but it's definitely not even close to tasting at all like bacon.

It makes a great crunchy snack, though I wouldn't bother with the air fryer, I'd make it in the oven, a big batch on a half sheet pan and cooling rack. I can get about 8 slices in the air fryer and had to make 4 batches before they were all done, and I could do that many in the oven all at once. One carrot makes about a "handful", so enough for a single person, but if you have more than one person eating it, you need to make more than that.

Right now I have more sitting on the counter, I want to see if it stays crunchy when it cools, because it would be a lot more convenient to make it ahead for a snack later tonight, than trying to deal with it at 8 pm or whenever Elery would like a snack while reading.

So, my next adventure will be making the same stuff in the oven. It's fast, it's easy, it contains easily obtainable ingredients. I'd definitely make it again. It sure ain't bacon, though. (grin)

Annie

Comments (26)