SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dlghome

Need help with kitchen/eat in area

Diana Garcia
4 years ago

We are making small changes to update our kitchen/eat in area without spending a lot. This weekend we painted the eat in area Classic Gray from Benjamin Moore and I love it. The area was yellow, just like the rest of the kitchen. In fact my whole house is yellow. Now I need help with a few details to finish it up!

Here is what I would love some help with...

Rug: SIZE, COLOR, STYLE. The rug that is currently there was purchased for the family room and I moved it into the eat in area just to see colors and size. Is the rug size that is there too small? It is 5.3 x 7.3. Should the rug be darker colors, such as more blacks/dark grays or keep it light. And what about rug style. Should I go more casual with a higher pile? The eat in area measures 12' x 8'.

Light Fixture: COLOR. Should I paint the light that is there? I was thinking about painting the brown sections black and leave the gold. My house was build in 2001 and all fixtures are shiny brass.

Curtains: LENGTH, STYLE. I was thinking about putting up gray curtains but didn't know if I should hang them from the crown molding or at the top of the window? I was going to hang curtains so they framed the double window only. What style curtains would look good. Something simple and plain like sheers or something with a little more personality and casual like tassels or texture?

I would like some fun/casual in the room vs formal.

You might be wondering, what about the rest of the kitchen? While we are taking things slow I am planning to eventually paint and update the rest of the kitchen. Although I am not planning to paint or replace the cabinets. I know I have a lot of wood and orange tones but I don't want to paint the cabinets so I am working with it. We could paint the kitchen sooner than later with the paint we have left from the eat in area. I would be open to any other suggestions for giving the overall kitchen a bump into 2020!

Comments (2)