SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Trouble finding instant dry yeast - will heat destroy it if delivered?

Lars
4 years ago

I forgot to bring the yeast that I had in Los Angeles, and now I am having trouble finding it. It is not available in the stores here, King Arthur does not have any, and when I tried to order it on Amazon, my first attempt failed - plus it was not cheap with $10 minimum shipping cost. I did find it from a different seller on Amazon and ordered it from them, but it was $14 plus $7 shipping, and so I ordered it. I was a bit concerned that when it is delivered, it will be hot, and I thought that might kill the yeast. The window of delivery is May 2-7, and it is supposed to be cooler here by then but still in the 90s. It was 105° yesterday, and we have a heat advisory through Thursday. I can cool myself off in the pool, but that won't help the yeast, if it is left in my mailbox, which is in a large metal box on the street with a dozen other mailboxes. All the mailboxes have locks (not very good ones) and are large enough that the yeast would fit inside. I told Amazon to deliver it to my front door, and my security light will cause a bell to ring when that happens, so that I can pick it up right away.

Are you having trouble finding yeast? I have plenty of flour and thought I might have to bake bread, since that is sometimes difficult to find.

I plan to track the package on Amazon to make sure that I know when the package will be delivered, in case they put it in my mailbox.

Comments (35)