SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texas_gem

Floof! Time travel! The year is 2005

Texas_Gem
3 years ago

I started thinking about just how much our society has changed and how quickly it has done so.
My oldest was born the same year that the very first smartphone was released. None of my kids have ever known a world without a smart phone.
The concept of dial up internet, a typewriter, going to the library to research, a world without Google, relying on paper maps, NOT having instant and constant contact with everyone/all information all the time; all of it is foreign to them and that's because they have never existed in a world where that is a reality!!
So let's go back, 15 years, try to think of what your daily life was like. Can you remember?
Poof!!! It is suddenly the year 2005, what are you doing?
I'm a young newlywed, no kids.
Smart phones don't exist, Google as we know it doesn't exist.
I go to work every day in a call center...providing the "free tech support for the first 30 days" that is given to all new Dell computer owners.
My work is tedious and boring. The most memorable call I had was from a (clearly elderly) woman who had not only purchased her VERY first computer, but who had also paid extra to have a technician come to her house and install it.
Her: "it was working when he left....now when I push the button to turn it on, nothing happens!"
Me: "ma'am, have you turned your monitor on?"
Her: "my what?!???"
Me: "the thing that looks kind of like a TV screen....it also has one of those buttons that you have to push."
Her: (exasperated) "YES...how many times do I have to tell you people...I've turned it on and NOTHING is happening."
Me: "okay, I need you to look at the back of the screen. You should see 2 cables, one that runs to the the power either in your wall or with an extension cord/power strip. The other one runs to another box, either sitting on your desk or perhaps sitting underneath it"
Her: "yes okay, I've found the box"
Me: "okay, that box should ALSO have a button located on it, a button with the symbol of a circle with a line drawn through it. Do you see THAT box?"
Her: "oh yes...I see the box"
Me: "great!!! Do you see the button on it??! The one I described?"
Her: "oh yes!!! I just pushed it!!!"
Me: "is your computer turning on now?"
Her: "yes! It's working now!!"
Me: "yes ma'am, that box is actually your computer, the screen is just a display device. You need to turn them both on."
I always found that to be the most amusing story from my time doing call center IT. In hindsight, I am impressed with that woman, that woman who had seen SO much development happen in her short life span, and she was still determined to learn and grow and adapt.
How about you? It's 2005, what are you doing?

Comments (25)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES