SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_345564107

Quartzite countertop: do faucet holes need to be sealed?

J E
4 years ago

Hello, I tried searching for an answer to this question, but couldn’t find it. I was wondering if the inside of hole cut-outs in a quartzite countertop should be sealed by the fabricator prior to install in order to protect the stone, especially in areas where there’s a lot of water (faucet hole).

I am choosing between two fabricators (both with good reviews on Houzz and Google/Yelp). I haven’t finalized my slab selection, but will likely choose a Mont Blanc quartzite, and I will definitely have a polished finish.

Fabricator 1 uses StoneTech Impregnator Pro Sealer and says that all exposed surfaces must be sealed, including the inside of the faucet hole and other cut-outs.

Fabricator 2 uses Aqua Mix Enrich N Seal and says the inside of holes do NOT need to be sealed, as sealers don’t make the surface waterproof anyway (they just buy you time for wiping stuff off the counter).

So now I’m confused. If you have experience with quartzite countertops, which viewpoint would you endorse? Is there really an advantage to sealing holes (for example, has anyone had to redo a quartzite or other stone counter because of damage around an unsealed hole)?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Comments (11)