SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Bloomerang Lilacs keep dying - why???

lkplatow
4 years ago

Maybe 7 years ago, we planted a mass planting of bloomerang lilacs in a raised sloping bed, in full sun, against a stone wall near a patio. There are maybe 20 shrubs involved. Starting with their second year, every year, we have had at least one or two entire shrubs or large parts of a shrub that just don't come back in the spring - the branches are simply dead. This wasn't a huge deal when the plants were small - we just dug them out and replaced them - but now they are a good 4-5' tall and wide. This spring it looks like basically 2 full bushes are dead - each one has maybe a branch or a shoot coming out the bottom but the rest of it is just dead. Cutting them down to just the 2 "live" branches will look ridiculous (the trunks on some of these are a good 5" in diameter.) Even if we dig them out, it's going to look stupid to replant them with tiny immature shrubs. And I'm tired of replacing plants every year.

I can't figure out what is going on - there doesn't seem to be any fungus. The plants that don't die are doing great - there is no in between. On some bushes, half the shrub will be dead and the other half doing great. They are in full sun and the bed is raised and on a slope so the soil should be about as well drained as it is possible for any bed to be. We have had a crazy amount of rain for the past few summers so I haven't needed to irrigate but in drier years I have used a drip hose. We are in zone 6 (they are hardy from 3-7 supposedly) but on top of a hill so I usually consider us zone 5 to be safe due to wind. Could it be the wind? This year the one on the end is dead so that makes me think wind but then one that is squarely in the middle of the row and relatively protected is also dead so I dunno. The plants look fine all summer and into fall and then they just don't come back next spring - there's no signs that they are struggling during the growing season. The bed was installed by a landscaper when they made our patio so it should be good high quality soil. We keep it mulched though I don't really fertilize - should I be?

At any rate, if I can't solve this, I'd like to start replacing the dead bushes with something else that will look good and hopefully survive better. So I'm posting for both suggestions on what might be killing them and what other shrubs might look good scattered in a mass hedgerow type planting of bloomerang lilacs!

Thanks for any help/guidance you can offer!

Comments (24)