SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

April 2020, Week 3

Here we are beginning the last third of this month and the cold weather just keeps coming. Maybe, finally, now....perhaps.....the last freezing cold night has come and gone and our plants finally will be safe. Maybe. This doesn't seem like a year to count on anything being normal or typical or average or whatever else.

In a normal late April in a normal year, we'd be reminding everyone to hurry up and finish getting their tomato plants in the ground as soon as possible, and certainly before the end of this month, in order to get good fruit set before the heat sets in. So, I'll throw that reminder out there. I know there are quite a few people in our state who lost their tomato plants (and other stuff) on Friday night/Saturday morning, and they'll certainly be replanting.

So, let's play the pretend game and pretend that nothing lies ahead of us, weather-wise, except clear, sunny skies and warm temperatures. If that were the case, what garden chores should we be working on in mid- to late-April? In the veggie garden, it is time to plant tomatoes and peppers from transplants, and to sow seeds of sweet corn, cucumbers, squash, beans, melons, okra and any other warm-season vegetables that you grow. It also is time to plant all warm-season herbs, whether you are growing them from seeds or transplants. As far as ornamental plants go, it is warm enough now to plant zinnias, cosmos, celosias, marigolds, angelonias, moss rose, coleus, pentas, angelonias, etc. For a few of the true heat-lovers like yellow bells (Tecoma stans), copper plants, ornamental sweet potatoes, annual periwinkles, lantana, caladiums and other similar plants, I'd probably wait until closer to the end of the month or until earliest May to be sure the cold nights really are gone.

Along with all the planting, don't forget to stay caught up on weeding or mulching because at this time of the year, even slightly neglecting weeding means losing control of the garden. Once you lose control, it is hard to regain it again.

If you want to plant any trees, shrubs, vines or groundcovers, now is a good time but be sure to use containerized plants. It is too close to summer to be using any bareroot plants now because they likely would not have time to get established before the heat sets in.

Once all your spring-flowering shrubs and vines have finished their spring blooming period, it will be time to prune them. Remember that pruning them after they bloom ensures they have plenty of time to produce new growth, which in turn will produce new blooms at the appropriate time in the plants' life cycle. If you have hydrangeas, remember that some of them bloom on new wood and some bloom on old wood so be sure you know which variety you have and whether it blooms on new or old wood so you do not accidentally prune your specific variety at the wrong time. You also can do corrective pruning at any time. Or, if you are Rebecca, you can do corrective brush-killer-applying to try to take out that green monster plant that she's been battling for years. I believe her plant's name is Godzilla. Good luck with Godzilla, Rebecca.

If anybody wants to plant a new lawn, or patch bare spots in an existing lawn, you can do that now with sods or plugs, but I'd wait until May if I was trying to start Bermuda grass from seed. Having said that, my Bermuda grass already is greened up, but we have been warmer in general than most other parts of the state. It has been mowing season for a while now, but we have mostly been mowing cool-season grasses and weeds. Now we are starting to see the emergence and growth of warm-season grasses and weeds as well. So, mowing will continue on for months now and since the zen of mowing is Tim's favorite type of lawn and garden therapy, he'll be a happy camper.

Some people are seeing certain pests show up now. We have had tent caterpillars here in southern OK for a while now, so keep your eyes open for them. If they are high up in a tree, you can use a long pruning pole to break open the webby nests, thereby exposing the caterpillars to birds that may prey upon them. If they are lower down, you can cut them out of the tree, or break open their webby nests, or just spray the surrounding plant foliage with Btk that will kill them when they feed on the foliage. Some people are seeing the canker worms now as well, but I usually ignore those little "inch worms", as they don't seem to eat enough of anything to be harmful.

This is around the time of the year when people may begin to see aphids in their gardens. If this happens to you or anyone you know, they generally can be sprayed off the plants with a sharp stream of water a couple of times a day. Or, lady bugs will show up and then their larvae will eat the aphids.

Don't forget to plant lots of food sources (both nectar-producing plants and plants that offer food for the larvae) for the butterflies, and lots of flowers for the bees. Many of the herbs now blooming in our garden, including chives, rosemary, lavender, comfrey and chamomile, draw in large numbers of beneficial insects to the garden, so it is good to always have these growing in and around your garden. If you have parsley that overwintered and which now likely will be fed upon by swallowtail cats, remember that it is a biennial and likely will die after it blooms this spring, so you'll need to have more parsley plants coming along behind it to replace it. Dill and fennel also are great food sources for the swallowtails, at least until the serious heat arrives.

Remember to feed the hummingbirds! We have had them back here for almost 5 weeks, and continue to see their numbers increasing as more and more move through our area on their journey north. They have been emptying out our 3 feeders at a pretty rapid rate. I think I may hang a 4th feeder today or at least sometime this week.

As always, the battle has begun to keep the yellow jackets and wasps from building their nests in places we don't want them, like in the greenhouse and on the front or back porch. Be sure to keep wasp spray handy to deal with them. I hate to use a chemical pesticide, but if you have wasps build a nest in an inconvenient place, like on your driveway gate for example, then the wasp spray really is the safest, quickest way to get rid of them.

If ants are popping up in inconvenient places in your garden, remember you often can divert them from their chosen spot by dousing it heavily with cinnamon, or by spraying the ground with a mixture of peppermint soap (I use Dr. Bronner's) and water. Both of those interfere with their ability to follow scent trails and the ants tend to move elsewhere. If you have fire ants, be careful if you choose a fire ant mound product to treat for them. None of the conventional fire ant products are registered for/labeled for use in an edible garden, but you can use the organic fire ant products around food crops. The one I use is a Spinosad product called Come And Get It.

Watch out for venomous snakes. They are up and moving and hungry after a long winter. They often flock to garden areas to feed on little frogs, salamanders, lizards, etc, I try to just ignore the non-venomous ones, except for rat snakes or chicken snakes in the chicken coops, but have zero tolerance for venomous snakes anywhere. Because we have had monumentally wet ground for months now, we are seeing a lot of the Graham's Crayfish snakes hunting for crawdads, though I haven't seen any crawdads around. Of course, maybe the snakes are finding the crawdads first and that explains why I 'm not seeing any.

Even though winter is over and there's tons of spring growth for the deer to browse, they still are coming into our front yard to feed on anything they fancy. I'm losing my patience with them. It isn't like we are in drought or anything, and they ought to have plentiful food available in the thousands of acres of native land that surround us on all sides. Why do they feel compelled to come into the front yard? Of course, seeing them standing in the front yard is a great reminder of why our landscape renewal project must include a tall fence. Otherwise, we'll just be planting new fodder for the deer to eat if they wish. Been there, done that, and not going to do it again.

Finally, don't forget to feed the birds! If you want for the birds to be around this summer feasting on garden pests, feed them some bird seed to make a visit to your area mandatory. Once they are used to coming to your place to eat bird seed, they'll stick around and help with pest control later on. I feed the birds every morning, and am rewarded with lots of bird song, and the constant presence of birds everywhere.

Have a great week everyone, and be sure to let us know what projects you're working on this week.

Dawn

Comments (92)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH