SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bragu

What's for dinner #377

bragu_DSM 5
4 years ago

No hostas were sacrificed to BEGIN this thread.

Comments (100)

• 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

Moving along still! I agree Neely, I get tons of inspiration, sometimes too much and it takes me a long time to make the things that inspire me. Gosh, I'll trade you your seafood pizza for mine! I love 'not the average' when it comes to pizzas, but always end up just topping with whatever's in the fridge leftover... which is never seafood : ) Your steak looks really good! What's the white stuff on your salad? I'm assuming cheese but I can't identify it. And the green... sauce? Next to your steak? I've not seen anything like that. All my poor brain can come up with is wasabi, but it can't be, there's too much and you'd be on fire now! LOL! Sleevendog, what a fantastic haul! Whoo-hoo! You've got meat now! So, my cabbage MG's are now quite high! Gosh it grows so fast! I tried to look at your meal, but I was stuck on replay when I read you'd sauteed your portobellos with lamb sausage. I just couldn't go further, I kept re-reading, and I could almost smell it. WHAT IS THAT? The thing circled in red... looks like a gigantic chick pea. Your salad is divine.. and look at those lovely beans. Sigh... soon I'll get mine. I've barely time to prep lately, working. I see that wild rice too. That's another weakness I have. And I have wild rice. I need a few days to just prep. Sighing again... oh, and I haven't made more pickled mustard, either, and I really need some. Bragu, I've enough yeast, now, but kind of you to offer here : ) So happy to hear your bread-making is going so well! Don't you love the way it smells when you pull it from the oven? It's having to wait until it cools that just kills me! Ha! I really need to make a boule or baguette or something.

Made a somewhat quick meal last night... homemade fettuccine with tomatoes, red sauce, oregano from the garden, and italian sausage. Portabellas. Too rich for me, I'm wanting fish or veg so DH ate most of mine. He was happy with it.

You'all may laugh, but this is my very first green onion which I've grown, and I wanted to share it with this group : ) I'm so proud of it! Quite mild compared to those in the store, and used it all, to the tips! (well, no, I put the roots in my chicken stock bag in the freezer).
    And we did have a salad, which we both enjoyed : )

Quinoa, apples, that green onion, and of course... microgreens! Someone got awfully skimpy with those microgreens! Decided that was silly, so tonight we'll eat more. Made a nice dressing to go with.

DH ate every bit of his. As did I. I thought the radish MG's might be strong, but they weren't. Here's another photo, just because : ) Yeah, I'm a bit excited! Greens!

No more quinoa unless I eat that pre-made stuff in a bag the shoppers picked up for me (curbside today). Ugh. I'll come up with something. I did get one (just one) chicken. Smallish. Stared at it for a bit, then remembered last year, or year before last perhaps? Sleevendog saying she grilled a spatchcocked chicken on a bed of fresh rosemary. I can still remember thinking... aaaaaahhhh. So, guess what we're having for dinner tonight? Mmm hmm. Wishing I had some red cabbage to go with it and our microgreens salad. I keep scrolling up and looking at it longingly. Never thought I'd have such reverence for a cabbage. Ah, strange times, my friends!

• 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

I know this isn't the 'gardening' thread... but again, you are my friends. Annie - I have collard babies! And Sleevendog, I've got parsley babies... and don't laugh, but I planted some of the radish mg's seeds in between my shallots and garlic and I've got radish babies! I'm almost feeling like there is nothing I can't plant and grow (which isn't true, of course) but it makes me so happy to plant things we'll eat!

• Related Discussions

Idyll #377 Spring hopes eternal.

Q

Comments (102)
    Good sunny morning all, Doug and I have been busy bees here in the gardens this week and getting lots accomplished. Yesterday we emptied out the huge leaf compost bin, shredded all the leaves in it, raked the entire northeast corner/top of the hill and the area we store the trailer in, shredded all those leaves. Mixed about half the shredded leaves with the first couple mowings of grass clippings, watered it all in well and put it back in the big composter. Then we turned in several bushels of already cooking leaf compost then mixed that in well. (my arms are sore today LOL) I've got a batch of leaf compost was put together last Sept or Oct and it should be ready to use in a couple more week. Woohoo! Today Doug and I are going to tackle the pond project. (Have I mentioned I cant wait to get the fish outside) LOL Anyway, THANKS everyone for your kind remarks regarding the Fine Gardening article. I was so excited and cant believe that really happened. You know how if something seems too good to be true it probably is? Well I kept thinking that this really wouldnt happen and had to pinch myself when my magazine came in. PM2, I was contacted by the editor of this issue in February. Shed seen some of my pics on another garden forum I participate on. Shed asked to use some photos of my mailbox garden from 2005 for a garden design piece they do in the regular magazine. (That is supposed to be in the Sept. issue if all goes well, there were some image resolution issues to be resolved) Anyway, she asked me to send her some more pics so I sent links to my on line photo galleries and she contacted me a couple weeks later and asked if Id be in the container issue. Ive just been bursting with this news since February but wanted to wait until it actually happened before sharing. Mary!!!! Great news, Im so happy that you wont have to move but sorry for your DH with the continued travel. That is really a tough way to live. Doug only has to be out of town ever other week and it gets old at times. ~~ Thanks for mentioning the article! But you are "family"! So, OK all you folks out there sterilizing your bathrooms. Will you send a bit of that energy my way???? I just cant be bothered with indoor stuff right now and the interior of this house seriously need attention. Eden, so jealous of your Sutherland Gold!!!! Im really missing mine and now am worried that the Cotinus wont be hardy. Id heard it did well in this Zone. Bummer yours had so much winter kill. Well I just saw my first Ruby-throated Hummingbird of the season!!! He was checking out the little fountain in the bird bath. Woohoo!!!! Michelle, how neat about that rainbow!!!!! They are pretty difficult to photograph effectively. I dont think the neighbor would have been thrilled for you to be traipsing through his newly planted corn. ~~ Many, many years our weather here does the winter to summer thing and one feels a bit cheated. Woody, surely hope you are feeling better soon. This is no time of the year to be getting a cold. Saucy, how did your workout with the trainer go yesterday??? V. Vent away any time you need to. Sometimes that really helps. I can feel pretty ill used by my immediate family at times. They can have some pretty unrealistic expectations. Anita, how old are your grandsons? Are they old enough to help you weed yet??? LOL Cindy, more spring pics please???? I just love your garden vignettes. OK Ive really got to run and get outside and take advantage of this lovely day. Off to drain the pond and other pursuits. Have a GREAT day everyone! Deanne
    ...See More

What;s for dinner Monday?

Q

Comments (9)
    Glenda, that's a lot of food, but with all 12 bringing a dish it doesn't take long to fill up a buffet. I'm surprised there were no desserts! Raven, everything sounds delicious. We ended up having sliced avocados last night because the mangoes weren't quite ready. Way to go, Jasdip. You're making space in the frig for more of your good cooking! Shirley, I looked for green beans in the grocery today and they were awful looking. I wanted green beans and red potatoes so bad!! Yep, I think we all love our leftovers and most of the time I think they taste better on day 2 (or 3).
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #375

Q

Comments (100)
    WalnutCreek, I'll have to try pork chops in the Air Fryer. I have one but the only thing I've liked so far that I made in it was "fried" chicken". Beet chips just fell into the bottom and charred, fish was dried out, potato chips were fiddly and half were crunchy but the rest were not. (sigh) After the beet chip fiasco I shoved it onto a pantry shelf and haven't touched it since, I'll have to drag it back out. Yesterday I took Mother some roasted chicken and twice baked potatoes, the chicken was brined 24 hours and high heat roasted ala AnnT. It was really good, extremely moist and even the breast meat wasn't dry. I also made a big batch of split pea soup, Mother loves it. I had to use yellow peas because I had those and the store didn't have any green split peas (or any other dried beans) in stock. sleevendog, your garden is growing well, and Elery would love an artichoke pizza. Neely, stay well, I'm glad your sons are delivering food, I stopped and did Mother's grocery shopping yesterday and dropped off groceries along with her prepared meals. Jasdip, I'm glad you're just "hunkering down" and there's no reason for quarantine! As for that leprechaun, we didn't catch him, but he dropped some of his treasure, a couple of strings of beans, a few of those "gold" colored dollar coins and some glittery hair clips. Maci insists that she heard "tiny little footsteps in the night" and nearly caught the leprechaun eating all the chocolate, LOL. Annie
    ...See More

What’s in your pantry? (And can it become dinner.)

Q

Comments (16)
    Here is my orange vegan cake, from Allrecipes originally. I discovered it when we were having vegan friends for dinner but now I use it all the time. Ingredients 1 large orange, peeled (or sub 1 cup orange juice) 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 1 cup white sugar 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I have used corn oil or also melted butter but then it's not vegan) 1 1/2 tsp baking soda 1/4 tsp salt Directions Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8x8 inch baking pan. Blend orange in the blender until liquified, measuring 1 cup orange juice (or just use 1 cup orange juice) Whisk orange juice, flour, sugar, vegetable oil, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 30 minutes. (I usually add a little dash of nutmeg and cinnamon to the batter, and then sprinkle a bit of cinnamon-sugar on the top before baking.)
    ...See More
  • neely
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Sleevendog so lovely to see all your healthy meals. I am inspired to try growing micro greens myself. I have a tray of mustard seeds and a tray of snow pea shoots... hope they grow.

2 many so pleased to see you are already harvesting your micro greens. Well done on the green onions. The neighbour bought a bunch for us and I will use half and plant the other half to keep fresh for future use.

Also 2many, Yes that was cheese sprinkled on top, Feta and the green sauce is avocado. Sometimes I make guacamole mushed up with a fork for chunky but other times I whizz it up with the hand held whizzer, goes silky smooth like a sauce which we enjoy as an accompaniment to various foods. Like a healthy green mayonnaise.

I made a cake, not chocolate which I would have liked , but the most simple of all Flourless Orange cake using microwave for the Orange and a food processor to mix the ingredients. I looked up a recipe and halved it due to egg shortage. It’s small but OK. DH keeps taking a slice as I photograph.

• annie1992
    4 years ago

Wow, there's so much going on here, I'll never catch up. Mother has been here with me, and so I'm a bit limited on time, but tonight I made black bean enchiladas for Elery and I and a fish sandwich for mother. Last night it was a YOYO dinner (You're On Your Own). Mother had chicken and french fries, but only ate the fries. Elery had nachos made with everything he could find in the fridge. I had leftover vegetable soup. Who knows what tomorrow will bring, LOL.

Neely, that orange flourless cake is very interesting, I've only seen flourless chocolate cakes. How was it, it looks nice and moist and good. And I love the color of that lovely blue bowl.

Sleevendog, that's a nice package of beef products you got there, that should last a long time. And, as usual, your dinners looks nice and fresh and crunchy. I keep thinking I need to start some microgreens, but other things just pile up. I thought all this "self isolating" was supposed to make people bored and have nothing to do!

2many, I'll tell Elery the collards are up, he'll be excited for you. Mine are still in the seed packet, of course, I won't be able to plant until the end of May, at least. He's working on a mini hoop house for me this weekend to go over one of the raised beds, so my cabbage/broccoli/cauliflower can go out in that and I can use the space under the lights for the eggplant and the rest of the hot peppers. Oh, and we're planting morels. Yeah, that's right. I've never known anyone who actually grew morels, they were always a forage item, so we'll see how that goes!

Annie

• neely
    4 years ago

Annie I so hope for you that your morels grow. Yum.

The cake is always moist. As I mentioned there are lots of recipes on the internet but basically this is the recipe.

2 oranges ......microwaved for about 8-10 minutes in a small bowl to keep the juice. I plunge a knife into the Orange before in case of explosions but it’s never happened.

250 grms of ground almonds

150 grms of castor sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

4 eggs

2 tablespoons of vegetable oil

I halved the mixture and added a tablespoon of marmalade because I want to use it up. Also used a smaller tin.

After oranges have been microwaved, let them cool off and cut into quarters to remove seeds if any. The oranges should be very mushy.

Place oranges in food processor and whizz up till liquid. Add all other ingredients, and whizz till combined...not too long. Pour and dollop into 23 cm cake tin. I always put baking paper in the bottom.

Bake approx 30- 35 mins at 180C... might take less time.

This cake seems to go brown on top so I try to remember to cover with baking paper for the last half of the bake but often forget as was the case above.

I have added poppy seeds which go well. Can also be adapted to using 3 lemons or Meyer lemons. I’ve even adapted this to using strawberries just making sure the amount of fruit is about the same as 2 mushy oranges.

Obviously, I have a lot of time on my hands because I’ve practically written a paper about this cake Hah!

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    4 years ago

Annie, what a handful, lol. But having your mother home with you is a relief. We are planning a YOYO tomorrow. Maybe frittata in the morning that will cover lunch as well and charcuterie snacking for the afternoon/evening. (and 5+ salads, lol)

Yes, the meat delivery is great and smallish well packed amounts. Except for the sage sausage has about 18 links. But we will deal. Thankful to have it. Maps out most of next week. DH wants to make gumbo at some point. Maybe mid-week. We are feeling less red meat deprived just knowing we have some. Thought the burgers from the wholesaler might be tough and junky being such a good price but they were excellent. (thought they could always be pup food) but so much better than expected. So that's a score.

@2MD, all the seeds are great garden seed. Should have sent you watermelon radish seed but rushed the box. I did sent you 'feisty'. It is hilarious being so frilly/curly. (I find garden talk here more comfortable than any other place). I am on another, (not GW), gardening forum but is is most about breeding tomatoes. You might know the English fella gardener, y-tube, I call the MrRogers of gardening.

stay safe, feed the soul,

sleeve

• wintercat_gw
    4 years ago

King Arthur no-knead crusty white bread, which miraculouslyI didn't manage to turn into cement. Made a canned cod liver sandwich with thinly sliced onion.

• Jasdip
    4 years ago

Wow this thread is racing along! I'll try to catch up on everyone.

2MD, congratulations on your newest member of the family! How exciting to showcase your new green onion!!! LOL Yes you can show us! I didn't realize you'd be eating your MG already. They grow quickly!!!

Your pasta looks great. I'd like to make that for myself, sans the portabellas. that might have contributed to the overly richness of the dish.

Neely, great looking cake. I always picture flourless cake as being heavy and dense but yours isn't at all.

Sleeve, I have to make hamburger rolls as well. Mine always turn out either too small or far too big. I used one of my rolls the other day. I forgot to take a picture but I made a hamburger again, after my fail that I posted previously of them always falling apart. The hamburger I buy is lean, family pack on a styrofoam try, and it's in strings. Not finely ground. So I really squashed it as I was forming it and it stayed together. No egg or bread, s p and garlic powder.

Anyway I used one of my rolls and the roll was too small, but hey, no one is watching me, so I made a mess of eating and it was good!I

Wintercat, that's a nice loaf of bread!

Annie, I love the YOYO comment!! Too funny! I must remember that, so I can use that sometime.

I took 2 chicken breasts out of the freezer, cooked one tonite and will bread and bake the other tomorrow.

I made a cream sauce with garlic, flour, lemon juice, white wine and a splash of sherry and some chicken broth. Baked potato and salad.

• neely
    4 years ago

Yum indeed Sleevendog... the burger, the buns, the accompaniments all looks delicious.

That’s a good looking loaf wintercat.

We had a grain salad again. Quinoa, green/ French lentils and barley with tomatoes green onions, coriander, chilli dressed with lime juice. We could eat heaps of this on its own but we had it with a mince and eggplant dish.

• Jasdip
    4 years ago

I picked some lovage this morning. I'm so excited! (It's a perennial)

It's going to be added to salads, and minced and added to my breading for my chicken breast.

It has a flavour similar to celery, and I use it anywhere chopped parsley/herbs are suggested.

• 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

Neely, thanks for answering all my questions, I should have guessed feta! And yes, I love avocado guac blended smooth too, so creamy and rich. I always find it helpful when people explain recipes they are experienced with – your flourless orange cake looks so moist, and so orangey – orange being a favorite flavor of mine. I like the idea of maybe using poppy seeds too. Thank you for sharing! Your quinoa salad with all those goodies looks delish – I’m quite envious as I have no more quinoa now! Annie, we did a sorta mini-hoop covering this winter over the broccoli and carrots… like a moist hot house! They thrived no matter the weather. I can’t believe you’re attempting morels! Please keep us updated! I think there is nothing you would not grow! Not sure if I’ve said it, but I’m very happy your Mom is with you and you can help her. I agree, I have no extra time, but rather less time than usual! Sleevendog, your hamburger is mouthwatering. Those buns are fantastic! I bought hamburger buns when I had no flour, so we’ll have to eat those (my bread shelf in the freezer is full and needs emptying). Burgers are now on the menu soon : ) I got spicy radishes in your care package – they sure grow fast – as a microgreen and in the garden! I’d never seen a watermelon radish other than on your plates. I’m making a note to companion plant some next year! Yes, I do believe I’ve seen your Mr. Rogers gardener on youtube. Wintercat, you KA bread looks good! Have to admit, I’m good with any onion, but cod liver? Not too sure about that : ) Nice to have home-baked bread, isn’t it?

So glad I read Sleeve’s posts, or my chicken would’ve been burnt from the burnt rosemary! I made the tray as you instructed, using rosemary, potatoes, and onion underneath (I had marinated the chick in lemon and lemon zest, EVO, garlic, oregano, et al.) No direct heat, but the rosemary got pretty burned except under the chicken. The leg-ends got burnt because they were next to the tube of applewood, but no loss there. Fall apart tender with rosemary and applewood smoke very nice and crispy skin – I used AnnT’s method and placed foil over the tube and chicken for a heavy smoke flavor in our grill. The potatoes cooked on top of the rosemary, with the unctuous chicken drippings. I’ve not eaten that hugely in some time.

DH likes salads, with mixed lettuce and any veg… and about a cup of Ranch dressing. Not exaggerating by much! So when he said this was one of the best salads I’d made, I fell off my chair! Cuke’s, radish, red bell pepper sliced with mandolin, in a weak quick pickle, with lots of radish and cabbage microgreens – I added more after taking the photo. Crunchy and good. I’ve got my trueleaf seeds, more coir, and have started several trays! Never enough!
    Had more chicken Saturday, with sautéed asparagus, salad, and baked potato. And Still had smoked chicken left (only 4.3 lbs, too) for making a salad later.

• 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

Jasdip, I have no idea what happened, but your two posts above mine just now showed up! What? Anyway, white wine, sherry, it's all good in chicken! Yum! And your lovage looks so healthy. But dang, that salad. I know, I'm becoming obsessed with green! Ha!

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Darn, now you've made me want roast chicken 2MD! Yours looks so good!!

I bought some chicken legs (quarters) on the weekend, and was battling with my knife to cut bones off. Rib-cage? I don't know what it is, but it's on the side of the thigh.

My restaurant supply store where I got my produce box has Wusthof shears that come apart for $47. I think I should treat myself.

I had the other chicken breast tonite, dipped in dijon, worcestershire, melted butter and garlic powder then in bread crumbs/parmesan and chopped lovage. I have a boatload of nutritional yeast so I used it for the first time my coating. I usually just put it on popcorn.

Another baked potato (why don't I make them more often??) And another salad.

I had a bowl of sliced bananas, pears, grapes and orange segments for lunch, with yogurt on the side. What a treat. I don't eat enough fruit. That alone should make me buy the produce box on a regular basis. It forces me to eat better :-)

• annie1992
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Neely, I leave the peels on the oranges and put the whole thing in the blender? Meyer lemons sounds really good too, thanks for the recipe and the options!

Sleevendog, that burger looks amazing, and there are those mustard seed. Elery can eat a pint of those as fast as I can make them, I have to scramble to get some, I might need to make bigger batches, LOL.

Wintercat, that is one good looking loaf of bread. I'll bet it would be awesome toast in the morning too.

Jasdip, I planted lovage last year, I'm hoping it survived the winter. Now you remind me to go check on it. Nancy (wizardnm) first brought me some, she said hers is perennial in northern Michigan and was about 5 feet tall! Your chicken looks good but I really, really like the baked potatoes, I love them. Elery won't eat potatoes, he says there are too many carbs, so they are an occasional treat here. (sigh)

2many, I think that chicken is as close to perfect as any chicken I've seen, and your salad looks so fresh and good.

Here I've been sorting seeds to plant in the new hoophouses. I've got it down to spinach, swiss chard, green onions, bok choi, radishes, several lettuce varieties and maybe amaranth. Mache in the fall. These are really so I can start early spring "salad greens" and then extend them into the fall. I think with these hoophouses I can extend my gardening from April through at least November, right now I'm limited to June/July/Aug/Sept, so I'm excited! Each structure is 8 feet long and 4 feet wide, so that's a lot of salad! I think it will be trial and error as to what wants to grow, but that's all part of the fun!

You can see it in this picture, but Elery has put hooks into the sides of the "lid" and more hooks up on the eves of the pole barn. I'll have a chain from the pole barn hook that I can use to hold the lid open when it's too hot to use it as a hoop house, or when I'm weeding or harvesting, etc. They are on the West side of the pole barn, so get afternoon sun, but not full sun all day, it should be just right for things that like it a bit cooler, like spinach or that lettuce.

Oh, and what's for dinner? I made pork steaks and dressing, but the pork steaks were so tough that they promptly became dog food. Mom said the dressing was good, and she had brussels sprouts and squash with them, and ate both of those, so it was a win/win anyway. She'll have to go home at the end of the week, I have an election to run next week and I can't risk exposing her to that many people, but she'll come back after I "self quantine" from the election.

Annie

• wintercat_gw
    3 years ago

Thank you Neely, Jasdip, 2Many and Annie for your kind words. I'm not a natural when it comes to baking, so it's wonderful to hear such words.

2Many - I hesitated before confessing to the cod liver. It takes courage to eat it and even greater courage to own up to it :) I really like cod liver. I was introduced to it as a kid by an uncle I dearly loved. Whatever he ate, I ate too, and he'd eat practically anything. The rest of the family would look on in horror at the two of us.

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

Jasdip, your chicken, and what you coated it with looks and sounds really good! Ha! When I was finally able to get baking potatoes, I went a bit crazy with them... so easy to pop in the oven and bake. And DH loves them : ) Annie, Elery has built a hoop house and a half! That is really, really nice! Tell him I'm thoroughly impressed. I had to use clips for the plastic on ours, and clip/unclip them. Total pain, but still gave us lovely veggies. wintercat, if you like cod liver, you should be proud of that. I think it's marvelous you followed your Uncle and that you are willing to try things. I know it has health benefits, and frankly, there are things I enjoy others 'make faces' over : ) Let them : )

Last year's dill seed grew enough, finally, so Silver Palate's egg salad, with 1/3 cup fresh dill (yeah, a lot, but it's what makes it). Topped with wonderful microgreens - lots of radish as it adds such a zippy flavor, cabbage, and broccoli MG's. On homemade bread. Side salad of chickpeas, celery, red pepper, red onion, cucumber, and feta cheese.... oh yes, avocado! Light dressing... Yum! I'll freeze the 2nd avocado the shopper added as I can't use it right now. DH ate all his salad, and he says he hates avocado. Apparently not : ) He also said he hated chickpeas. Too bad, because I'm making hummus soon... which he also says he does not care for at all. But he loves bean dip. Go figure! It's official, we are both full-fledged fans of microgreens : ) ETA: Sleevendog, those are the Palouse chickpeas, and thank you! Rancho Gordo beans still not shipped, so was sure glad to have these!

I think tonight we'll either re-visit last night's meal, or have breakfast for dinner as I didn't make the usual big breakfasts last weekend.

3 years ago

Ha, look at those greens! Gorgeous salad!

Lost my post yesterday. Forgot to hit 'submit'. (I'll catch up later)

Drum roll, 💃

Unboxing....

Arrived this morning. That's a lot of lobster. Still frozen but flat packed, easy to open up and gently break apart to re-package for the freezer. Easily 8 lobster rolls and 2 extra meals maybe salmon stuffed and DH wants to make a lobster pie. Lobster rolls tonight!

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

That's 2 lbs of non-shredded, lovingly intact lobster! {wiping drool from chin}. And they even sent you Hellman's! And a lemon just in case. You two should have a fine, fine Anniv feast, and then some! Thrilled for you two, Sleeve!

I'm still crossing fingers for frozen scallops for my birthday. I'll find out tomorrow if I get them.

I'm finding I must start more MG's than I think, as we go through them so fast : ) How long do that last in the fridge if I cut them, to use the containers?

3 years ago

Lets see. Right now I have 2 stacks of three, 6 total germinating. 8 under light, four need harvesting. The other 4 could be snipped but good for a couple days. Obviously fresh is best but think of grocery bags of salad days from the farm. FYI, the peas can be soaked even 48 hours. That gets them further along before needing a tray. (just rinse/change the water often).

I do get ahead of myself and intentionally during the holidays or before a dinner party/bbq...damp p-towl, last a good week or more.

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

damp p-towl, last a good week or more - this I did not know, thanks! I need more containers : ) Ordered some from Trueleaf, but half were already split. I neglected to save grocery store containers - I saved huge ones instead - not so good except to put smaller ones inside. I'll get creative - I think I saw a couple empty margarine containers lurking about! I soaked the peas for 3 days! Anyway, they seem quite happy. Sunflowers soaking too. I did not know to change the water, which I will now. I have only 3 started (stacked) due to lack of containers, sunflowers soaking, and only 5 under lights. And one is parsley, which for some reason is not doing much at all. Thankfully, you were so generous in sending many containers!

My coir came, no grow lights yet, but LED's doing fine.

I think I'm going to start trueleaf's salad mix, just for giggles. One never knows!

What are those really leafy ones, underneath the little stack of red cabbage greens?

Also, what time is dinner tonight? ; )

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Wow Sleeve!!

3 years ago

The containers I like are the brand 'versitainer'. The ones I sent. They can be washed in the sink or outside with a hose and do survive in the dishwasher. Super strong. (un-like most from other places). Mine have lasted 4-5 years so far and I see many more years. Crap ones are annoying.

I first collected mine from work offices that order from take-out for lunches. (so wasteful).

I do have a double size, aprox 5x8 that are nice when I want to 'bulk-up'. More volume. But the size I sent you is such an easy dance. Easy to germinate stacked and easy to check for a quick water need. Super easy for NYCity friends to grow in succession...easy to soak/sow as well. I also have 10x10's but big area/sq ft can cause many issues with dampening off, etc. Dancing small has less issues. And I like variety.

-when I soak my sunflower...you will notice they float. It takes a while for water to penetrate the hulls. The hulls hold water much longer before penetrating the embryo for germination. Those hulls can/will tend to cause some mold issues. I add a capful of hydrogen peroxide to the soaking water day one or two. Gives them a healthy head start.

The bigger leafy greens are one of the salad mixes. I have many mixes but they take a bit longer to grow. The reason my 'trial' kit just include the fast growers is I want to see my friends succeed first. Small footprint, salad in 7-10 days. Fast growers for the bulk, then some other fun stuff. Many of my friends/co-workers immediately started ordering what I call 'advanced grow'. (lol). Most failed because the delicate expensive seed needs much more time and a bit of extra food like soluble seaweed, etc.

I preach food value fast/first. I did start a tray of arugula recently that is up rather nice. Faster than expected.

2MD, I sent you some 'feisty' pea. A very fun grow being so curly/frilly.

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

My mind is slipping today... I meant to tell you, Jasdip, that I have a pair of older Wusthof shears - they don't come apart for cleaning, wish they did... I love them! I've tried cleavers, regular scissors, and various knives for all things chicken, but find I use those shears more often than anything. They cut through rib cage bones very well. I use the back part for bones, and try to keep the tips for skin. Yes, you should treat yourself : )

3 years ago

Last night was a quick frittata. Always good. Opened the Tasso. Then packaged the extras in a few packages

for the freezer and DH wants to make a gumbo probably Thursday. Used up a load of greens.

3 years ago

I just found this in my recipe file. All good. Made my lobster dressing. We don't like much, just a mini sauce. (we are not the all butter and only butter fans). Definitely not in the mood for arguing. We like it how we like it.

3 years ago

So good. so thrilled to have fresh lobster...Looks a heap but potato salad and greens and two lobster rolls each having so much. Pigs.

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

That's just crazy decadent! Look at those chunks, chunks(!!) of lobster meat! Claw meat? Wow. I know you are your DH were ready for something special, and again, am thrilled you found your lobster rolls : ) Love how you used the avocado as a salad and salad bowl! I'm seeing your toasted chickpeas too, right?! Wonderful meal, and after everything you two have done, been through, c'mon, it's deserving : ) I'd pig out too!

Posts are loading weird for me. Thank you for mentioning the versatainers - I'll look for them as I'd like to have far more. They really are very nice. I do like that size - great for a variety, and as you said, don't take up a lot of real estate for several. Ah, I'll make a mental note on the sunflowers. Only a few have 'popped' so I'll let them soak a bit longer. I agree on the faster growing... now : ) I've started the salad mix, and will put it on a shelf of what I'll call 'longer growers' and may even include some peas in that and see what happens with them. I got the Feisty confused with something else, but I found them! Looked them up, Johnny's has them, and I've an account with them, so I'll order those when I make a dent in my 5 lbs of trueleaf peas! I dunno if I can wait, I saw the curls, really cool! Crazy thing, I thought you all ate them because they were so healthy... but they all have such unique flavors, and really do enhance. Fun combining, or trying to pair their subtle and not subtle flavors with other foods!

Peas are starting to form 'leaf buds' - I'm excited about them as I've not tried those yet! Patience!

Dinner last night was egg salad revisited - with more microgreens of course. Same chickpea avocado salad, too. Long day.

Gotta say, that frittata looks incredibly good.

3 years ago

At 3 am I was up reading in bed and heard the 'thunk'. The three trays of stacked radish tossed the rock onto the counter, lol.

Can't imagine a 4ounce lobster roll. Our burgers are 4 oz and large in our eyes. So that amount made two each and yes, what a treat. We are frugal for the most part and do treat since we have no interest in eating out even before this mess. Even the cost of fast food blows me away. I can get so much food value, and tasty, by growing/cooking at home. Less protein, but quality. (we worked in NYC the past 30 yrs and work paid for many fancy meals so I've had all that). So I do understand the ritual/passion for a night out. Or a quick fast food drive through, or a pizza take-out.

Our eggs are limited. Figuring we can have an egg each once a week and a five egg frittata once a week for the next three weeks. Gives us a few for baking. Next local meat share date is 4 weeks away and we can add pasture raised eggs so we do have that option. As many as we want. Our rotation is pretty well planned so far.

Mom and dad are in a hot-spot right now. Hospitals maxed out. Small towns have been late to respond but Dad is a scientist and took care early. (though at first thought this was a NYC or a city problem). Dense populations they thought. They are surrounded by meat processing plants that did not have safe practices. Shutting down. All of them.

They are getting deliveries for groceries, so thankful. My sister had emergency surgery last week but fine, no cancer. She lives just a few miles away from them but can no longer help being in quarantine. (oy). Her diet is not so good. Has never cooked a meal, ever. Still the big sticker on her stove/oven and the manual inside ten years now.

Jealous of the egg salad but will make that next egg delivery.

I think you mentioned tomatoes recently. For a few weeks past I had a back right burner of water that I used for blanching. Though anything veg organic I wash in the sink with soap if it has a skin. then hydrogen peroxide spray/rinse. Dry, then bagged for the crisper. Two disinfecting methods feels right.

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

Sleeve, yes, I was wondering how you were treating fresh tomatoes, and thank you. I've some peroxide which will be for produce now (I'd been washing skins with soap and water too). Not sure if I can get more peroxide - we usually use it to keep the string algae down in the fish pond, but they can deal with it this year! I told myself I'm an adult, I can surely decide if a tomato is safe after washing and time... but I have relied on your good sense so much of late. I appreciate you allowing me to be such a pest.

I'm so sorry to hear of your Sister's emergency - but glad she's out of the woods. Never used her oven? Hard to fathom, isn't' it!

I think all of us on this thread understand how much we save by cooking as much as we do... and know the ridiculously high cost of fast food - supposedly cheap for the masses - ha! Thankfully, we are all able to treat ourselves in one way or another. After all the high cost fast food that was shear junk during our remodel, homemade food is such a bargain - and allows us to treat ourselves on regular occasion.

I posted this in another thread, but might as well mention it hear, amongst friends. Here in the States 2 of my physicians have told me quite recently, and a friend who has 3 physicians in his family said today, that they fully expect a 2nd, far worse wave of illness and deaths due to states reopening too soon, and people not taking proper safeguards. I feel this is most likely common sense information. Anyway, I can hope they are wrong and that my own brain is being stupid... but I don't think so.

Just be safe you all. And keep cooking all these great meals : )

• neely
    3 years ago

So lovely to read all the goings on of people here on the WFD thread. Sleevendog, I don’t know what to say about those lobster rolls except I am so envious.

I am trying to get these micro greens (thanks Sleevendog) happening here but not having much luck. They were by a sunny window but the sun has deserted us the last few days so I’ve rigged up a LED light over their grow box. Radishes, rocket and bok choy (different names?) still growing outside, so we do have fresh greens available.

Annie Re the Orange cake, Yes you put the whole softened oranges in the food processor and whizz them up. I use our seedless oranges so don’t have to worry about pips.

Our neighbour delivered some supplies including chicken fillets which DH made into a Thai curry with coconut milk made enough for 2 containers for the freezer as well as this meal. I have been making these flat breads with no yeast but a dollop of yoghurt. Cook them in a cast iron pan at last minute before eating.

Below, was another grain salad with a piece of pumpkin and a single lamb chop.

Everyone stay safe, this isn’t over yet I fear but I hope things do get better for everyone.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked neely
  • annie1992
    3 years ago

Sleevendog, happy anniversary! Those lobster rolls. Oh. My. I was thinking of your microgreens yesterday while I was planting my lettuce and spinach. It'll be ready in a month, but I could have it sooner if I picked it as "baby" greens. I'd start some microgreens myself but all my growing space is taken up with my garden "starts". I think I may have "overplanted", but I didn't know whether the greenhouses and nurseries were going to be able to open back up before gardening season, so I planted extras in case a couple of neighbors needed some. And now I have them, LOL.

Wintercat, I imagine you got the same look I used to get when Dad and I shared sardines and crackers. I still like them, but the whole family just shuddered while Dad and I sat in the living room and ate sardines right out of the can, with a sleeve of saltines, LOL.

Thanks for the information on the cake, Neely, I thought that was what I did, but I wanted to be certain. And that pretty little blue and white dish above your plate, is that a tea cup? A fruit bowl? The sugar container? (grin) It's very pretty.

2many, I fear that you are right, there will be a second wave. People are in a hurry to get back to work, and I understand that, but we do not have testing in place. We should have, but we don't and until that happens I just think we're going to see more outbreaks like the ones in the nursing homes.

Ah, so what's for dinner? Last night we had burgers on homemade wheat buns with some of my home canned 3 bean salad on the side. Tonight it was pork loin with roasted carrots and radishes. For a snack I made carrot bacon in the air fryer. It looked kind of like bacon, but there was no other resemblance, LOL. It was crunchy, and sweet/spicy, Elery said it tasted like a BBQ potato chip. So, they were actually pretty good but definitely not bacon!

I'm still trying to love my air fryer, but I could only get about 8 strips of carrot in there, next time I'm making a larger batch and I'm putting it all in the oven at once on a rack and see how that works!

Annie

• neely
    3 years ago

Those carrots look like a healthy snack. I’ll try them next time I use the oven.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

There are so many GREENS on this post! LOL Lots of healthy, successful growing going one.

Those carrots look great, Annie! I don't care if they wouldn't taste like bacon, but if they taste like chips, well that's a whole other story!!! :-D

Sleeve, happy anniversary and congratulations on your sister, no cancer results.

I know a fellow who didn't use his stove either, it was never even plugged in. I guess your sister (and he) just have it for aesthetic purposes. I wouldn't survive if I had to live on take-out or eat-in restaurants. Not to mention the affordability.

Neely how wonderful that you're a recipient of Sleeve's micro-greens! I'm sure they'll take off for you soon. :-)

Last night's dinner was meatballs in my sweet/sour sauce with the rest of the rice and vegetables. Yup, that's my lovage sprinkled on top. Hahaha

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    3 years ago

y'all should begin careers as personal chefs ... nice presentation as well.

I cannot present so that it looks as good as it tastes.

Mine is only as tasty ... as it tastes, and I at least can do that well.

Starting to really cut back on the protein quantity and add more veg.

3 years ago

Neely, I so love mixed grain salads. I have so many different varieties to choose from I pick 4-5, !/4 or 1/3rd cup each. Last night I started wild rice and winter wheat. Gave them a 20 minute head start in my baby Staub grain pot, then added brown rice and blk/wht quinoa. !0 minutes later added some green split peas...always comes out perfect.

Jasdip, it is illegal to send seeds to Australia unless I sneak it. Neely is giving it a go on her own. So great to try! Annie is getting the next starter kit, (it was going to be a surprise by getting her address from 2MD but she will not need it for a couple weeks having her seed starting operation full...next week) Jasdip, I am happy to send you one as well! I have city friends requesting being starved for greens....even if tiny.

Made my signature dish last night over mixed grains. (I need to post that recipe again)

Braised Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs over mixed grain

It makes eight meals, all different. Perfect for isolation.

3 years ago

(our anniversary is June, lol. just had to have a couple lobster rolls asap)

3 years ago

Wild Mushroom Soup with chicken and mixed grain....yesterdays meal is the next days 'mise en place' ...

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

Neely, your chicken and thai curry looks so delicious, and your flatbread also looks good… love the grains and how clever to add pumpkin – perfect. Lamb chop makes me wish I could get to ours.. packed in the back of the freezer, ha! Neely, are you able to get food, any way? I hope so. Glad to hear you do have fresh greens. I find my microgreens need more light than a sunny window offers. The LED lightbulbs seem to doing the trick – I keep them on a minimum 14 hours – finding some things grow fast, some slower. It makes for a nice balance! Keep us informed!

Annie, those carrots do like like a good snack : ) And pork loin with roasted carrots and radishes sounds good! I’d never had roasted radishes.. until last night. Surprisingly mild and good! Annie, our lettuce is doing well, getting bigger daily. Red arugula is taking longer. I fear for our strawberries, blueberries, and gooseberries as the rabbits have devastated all my Asiatic lilies, my liatris, everything in the flower garden. Even ate big tulip leaves. We can’t put up netting for the berries, even temporary, until the fence painters come.

Jas, your entire meatball dinner looks very enticing. Yep, I think you outta give microgreens a try : ) Good for the soul to plant and watch grow, you don’t need much space, and they really do taste so good. Ask DH, who says he doesn’t miss ‘green stuff’ but eats every last microgreen on his plate!

Bragu, clearly you missed my dish with BBQ pork lovingly surrounded by canned green beans! I was so embarrassed I had to post it! Ha! So long as it tastes good, right?!

Sleevendog, only you would have a yin and yang mis en place! Has no one else noticed this? Scroll up, people! I was admiring your braised boneless chicken thighs (when you say you ought to post the recipe again, is that just a tease?) when my eyes were drawn to what appears to be green lentils (which I envy) and I see Yin and Yang! But of course! Seeing your lovely wild mushroom soup makes me wish I had not done a cream-based wild mushroom. Two more meals of it in the freezer, which by the way has reached saturation point.. nothing more will fit, not even an ice cube.

Ah, leftovers. Third time is not a charm! Lightbulb moment when trying to figure what to do with the remaining egg salad and the fact is always leaks out of the sandwich bread… Ok, not so genius, more like a night-light moment. Sandwich crepes! More flour, thus sandwich. With lots of greenies of course! And several dollops of mustard seeds (seriously, this is lookin’ a bit like a Sleevendog meal, right? C’mon, at least give me a ‘maybe if I squint’!)

Roasted asparagus and radish with lemon miso dressing (I eat a huge pinch of greens, I eat a spoonful of mustard seeds, I eat a spoonful of miso paste… I can’t help myself!), and the last of the leftover salad.

Tonight… was to have been lovely pizza. High hydration dough in the fridge for the perfect 3 days. Sausage ready, pizza stone on the grill, fresh sauce made, perfect veg. I put the dough in the oven to proof as it was cold… heard a fan running some time later… I set the oven to Pizza, not Proof! Screams could be heard. Yanked the door open to see ruined dough. Then realized the plastic wrap was ‘missing’. I’m trying to soak my favorite nesting bowl as I type, in vain hope I can remove the baked-on plastic. Store-bought frozen pizza tonight. But, I did score a 6 lbs chicken to smoke tomorrow (if I can get it to thaw), tri-color quinoa too! No lentils. No more olive oil. And somehow 2 yellow onions got translated to 2, 10 lbs bags of yellow onions. Good grief! And I can’t even cook and freeze them. Freezer doors barely close!

I sure am long-winded, aren’t I?

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    3 years ago

make some onion soup. diced onions don't take up that much room in a zip bag. put them under the ice cube tray ...

3 years ago

The fridge/freezer is a dance these days. No waste checking daily what should be creatively used up. A full time job keeping the kitchen clean for the next session of chop-chop.

Sad text from a friend today...

I was packing for a Newfoundland trip early March to travel mid-late March. Guessing that will not happen any time soon....😩

3 years ago

So thankful I have 2 pounds of mustard seed. But I doubt there is a run on it 😂. Should be plenty available. 😁

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

It's not so much the availability of some things, but the shipping time, now. I have placed a few orders that are taking forever to arrive. I ordered some rose bushes that previously took 2 days, and this last one is taking 5 days. I hope it survives. But 5 days for a non-perishable is ok, however 3-4 weeks...

Wouldn't March be next year, 2021? Might they decide to open then...? Or perhaps a vaccine will become available sooner at which time they might open the borders, and the tourist businesses might then be able to continue. I am sorry, as I know you can't count on it.

3 years ago

We have had a home in a small fishing village on the island for 19, 20 years this September. We have the travel down to a science. We had planned to be there now. For a few months...wish we were there during this. We all are dealing and fine for now. Feeling very fortunate unlike many others. So sorry for my younger brother and sisters without much of a bank account to get them through this.

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

Oh, I see. You meant this past March. I seem to recall that you've mentioned the sea. Brain dead today. I'm so very sorry, Sleeve.

I know, I have yet to stop thinking of so many who live paycheck to paycheck. And even those who don't, find savings dwindling. I won't eleborate regarding my thoughts on the future of our economy, only to say I do not see sunshine.

3 years ago

Yeah, this morning I said, "April fools!',...but it is May first. Oy. 😊

(dough head)

• annie1992
    3 years ago

Bragu, you notice that many times my meals are not photographed, LOL. Some of them just aren't very pretty, but most of them are still edible, sometimes they are even good! (grin)

Sleevendog, I'm so sorry about your Newfoundland trip, I remember the moose lasagna from your trip there. (sigh) Thanks in advance for the microgreen "kit", hooray! My current plants will be going into the garden the end of May, and I told Elery I was going to plant "salad" here at the house instead of in the farm garden. It's all one piece of property, but it's shaped like an "L" and the farm buildings/garden is at the top of the "L" and we're on the far other bottom of that "L". So, by road it's a mile to get to the farm buildings, only half a mile if we cut across the pasture. Too far to walk out the back door for a salad in any event, so I try to keep some things closer, like the asparagus patch and those new hoop houses. Having them actually IN the house will be even handier! In the meantime, I found this today while pulling the first few weeds, so I'm excited!

Jasdip, those meatballs look pretty darned good, your photography is just getting better and better. I see that you're like me in that you will put the sauce on the rice. I always make extra sauce for that kind of meal, just so I can have enough for the rice.

2many, that egg salad and the microgreens wrapped in a crepe would be something that my oldest daughter would love, as long as I make cornstarch crepes for her, thanks for that idea! That setting the oven for "pizza" instead of "proof" sounds just like something I'd do too, I hope you can save that bowl.

Neely, stay safe, I'll think good thoughts for your microgreens.

What's for dinner? Last night I roasted a duck that had been hiding in the back corner of the freezer for over a year. I used Ina Garten's technique of boiling then high heat roasting and it turned out well. I splurged and had a baked potato with some fresh chives from the back yard. Elery had some cauliflower rice, I passed.

I took the last of the whole wheat dough out of the refrigerator and made some bread to go with supper, baked it in a 8x8 pan, brushed the top with olive oil and sprinkled it with "Everything But the Bagel" seasoning from Trader Joe's. I did that with the last piece, and didn't think there was enough topping, so I did it again. The topping still didn't give it very much flavor, I probably should have used even more.

Then tonight? I'm going to put Bragu/Dave to shame. It was beautiful here, sunny and in the 60s. We were outside all day, spraying deer repellent on my little fruit trees, working on the tiller getting ready to plant strawberries, working on a space for my new little laying hens. We came in and Elery had leftover duck and I had Frosted Mini Wheats, yes indeed, gourmet cooking at its finest. (snicker) No pictures, for obvious reasons.

Annie

3 years ago

Annie, I figured once your seed starts are in the ground you will have room to try a few trays. And the spent stalks/seeds are excellent chicken feed!

2MD, I forgot about this idea. You can easily pull out the entire tray and put it on the base opaque tray to finish growing. That frees up trays to start more!

Last night was a hotpot/chicken veg bowl. The one limp bunch of kale from misfits came back to fresh in cold water for a couple hours.

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    3 years ago

ok sleeve, your turn