SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_440395521

Need advice on painting wood ceiling after removing popcorn

Terrell Dunn
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I just purchased my first home. It was built in 1930. My first project is removing the popcorn on the ceiling and painting the ceiling white. Someone has already done the living room and it looks great.

So I started in the bathroom and as I scraped the popcorn off, I realized the ceiling is wood planks. There was some sort of very thin covering that was applied to the wood before the popcorn was applied. Almost like drywall but less than 1mm thick. It peels off with the popcorn.

So now I’m left with planks and I’m not sure what to do now. How can I get aJust smooth surface to cover all the grooves between the wood planks? I asked a friend and he said to drywall the ceiling. That seems like a bit much to do just for the sake of painting the ceiling. Cost is a factor since I just bought the house.

I guess my question here is...does anyone know what that layer was between the wood and popcorn? If there‘a something i can adhese to the wood to get rid of all the grooves to create a smooth surface to paint over that would be ideal. Or anything other than having to fill those grooves with filler. I wouldn’t mind the look of painted wood planks but I’m wondering how it was done in the living room to not show any grooves from the wood ceiling?

I’ll attach photos of the finished living room, the bathroom ceiling showing the wood and you can also see the underneath layer of whatever was put over the wood. And a couple photos of me holding a small piece of that same material.

Any advice/ideas are much appreciated.

Comments (5)