SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

Sticker shock, $54 for a pair of socks!

caflowerluver
3 years ago

Compression socks that is. On Friday the 10th I called my doctor and was told to go to urgent care (that was quite an experience) because for the last 2 weeks my right foot was swollen and getting worse. I could no longer bend my toes. It didn't feel like a sprained ankle which I have had in the pass. Then I read on the internet that it could be a sign of heart, kidney problems or blood clots.

I saw a physician's assistant, not a doctor, (everyone talking through masks) and was asked a lot of questions and had an exam. No blood tests or any other tests done. She said it was edema from all the walking I have been doing. Funny it was only the right foot. Wrote me a prescription for compression socks and told me keep it elated above the heart till the swelling went down, but still do limited walking.

There is only one place that carries medical supplies here in this area. I about had a heart attack when I saw the price, $54! I even asked if those were the cheapest ones and got a snarky reply. If I had known more about compression socks I would have ordered them online. I have been doing lots of reading since then and feel I should order ones to wear every day after the edema goes away.

But am confused about amount of compression. These are Juzo Basic 15-20 mmhg and a real bear to get them on and off, super tight. DH helps me put them before I get out of bed in the morning. I can't do it with my Parkinson's. I was wondering if 8-15 mmhg would work as every day socks and be easier to put on. Or is that not enough compression?

Can anyone recommend a brand that they like? What compression do you have and are they easy to get on? Any other information will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator