SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pk_241011

My thread on Luculia gratissima rosea 'Pink Fragrant Cloud'

Thanks to lockdown and having ample amount of time to kill, I will be soon in possession of the plant.

I found a place in garden which is sheltered in Summers thanks to my good old Crepe Myrtle. I decided to dig out the stump of an old tree under its canopy which might have died coz of the lack of sunshine. The original plan was to put in a slow growing Camellia. But somehow internet searches led me to this plant. The spot has sun in winters when the leaves are gone. And shelter in summers.

What can go wrong?

> Maybe the shrub will be going to be much bigger than the Crepe Myrtle itself.

> Maybe it will need more sun in summers?

> Not maybe but 100% sure is that the roots of the Crepe Myrtle will invade the planting location but I am fine with that. Everyone needs space.

> Maybe it will be added to the long list of my failures. I am getting kind of blase to failures now. If it fails there is always something else to take place of it.

The Sydney soil is clay and I now use pot in ground method for planting things in ground ever since the spectaular success of having a Daphne survive over an year. Yeah that is an achievement in my books.

Got this from local hardware store. It is UV stable edge line or whatever they call it. It allows me flexibility to match the size of the hole I dig. And the headache of sawing off the bottom of a plastic pot is not there. Do they have a product like pots with no bottom plate?

Hole dug and the ring placed in it. The hole has been filled with best possible garden soil. It is still at ground level. Once I put the plant in I will pour in another bag of garden soil and make the level higher than the ground level. The plant is rather puny in size and it will be comical to see it in such a big pot. But I have lot of time at hand and dig more I will. Also I heard that it does not like its root getting disturbed. So yeah. Whatever. It will stay in there till it croaks.

Actual location. Might be bad but this is the only location I have. Excuse the mess. The garden winter cleanup is due. The Crepe Myrtle has started shedding leaf and it makes such a nice leaf mulch. It rots away into fine compost (full of teeming earthworms) within a month if you keep it moist. Pure gardening gold. Will collect and put it around the plants.

So anyone has Luculia gratissima rosea? Some pics might be nice. There are no videos on youtube for it. Michelia Alba has set such a high bar for perfume delights that I am not expecting much from this or for that matter any other plant. But what it smells like anyways?

User stories most welcome.

I will keep updating the thread as the plant journey begins.

Comments (7)