SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kpemerie

Looking for advice before I approve kitchen, Swiss farmhouse reno

kpemerie
4 years ago

Hello everyone,

I would be grateful for your advice on a kitchen/dining renovation. All construction has stopped for the moment due to COVID but I have to approve the design soon so that everything will be ready to go when work starts up.

We bought a section of an old Swiss farmhouse that will be split into 6 attached row houses. We have a budget with a small kitchen and tile company so my choices are somewhat limited. The room is about 192 square feet.

This is the view standing outside on the patio, facing in. Straight ahead a doorway will be cut through where I drew the arch. The other blue lines show where the kitchen cabinets will go. The dining table will go in front of the fireplace which will be removed (it's non functional).

My idea is shaker cabinets in magnolia, open shelving flanking a range cooker, countertop in white quartz with veining, white zellige backsplash. I'd like something classic traditional farmhouse or English country kitchen, nothing ornate. I would like to avoid it being quickly dated but that seems difficult.

This is the mock up from the kitchen company of that left wall (the beams will be darker, and please ignore the table and chairs they chose):

These are two of my edited mock ups:

v1

v2

My questions are:

What do you think of v1 and v2?

For the floor, I'm leaning toward either reddish terra cotta square tiles (13 inch)or hexagons:

https://www.ragnoworld.com/collections/epoca/minimali/

Would the terra cotta color be too dark? Would you lay the square tiles in grid or offset?

The other option is something like this:

https://www.aparici.com/collection/retro/

Do you think the range is too dark? It's slate grey. The other color options in that model (Rangemaster Elise) are black, white, cream, cherry red, stainless and china blue.

What color should the open shelves be? They are currently the Chalet Oak color but they seem light considering the beams will be darker and my table is dark wood also. The cabinets have to be Nolte so these are my options:

Should I do something to the range hood cover?

How far up the wall should the Zellige go? Should the niche above the range be tiled the same way? To under the cabinet and open shelves or all the way up the wall like this Riad tile photo:

Should the drawer pulls be faux brass finish or chrome? Nolte make brass color knobs so I will have to change those out myself.

Should I keep that little section of the countertop next to the range as butcher block or quartz? After reading a lot on here about Silestone and Dekton chipping and staining, I'm not convinced they are the way to go. Any other ideas for a light color work surface that would look good here?

If you are still reading this, thank you so much! I'm open to any suggestions or advice you might have on any of these questions or anything else you think might be helpful.

Thanks again :)

Comments (4)