SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momofred

Apron/Farmhouse Sink- worth it?

momofred
13 years ago

Hi all! I am a novice-to-the-extreme naive remodeler...I have an amazing GC helping me along the way and I educate myself via hours and hours of googling and LOTS of time spent on GW, thank you!

We are in a rental, lease is up at the end of February, so we have limited time to get the 'big stuff' done before we move in. I have a 2 y.o. so it at least needs to be hazard-free and non-toxic (yes, we're dealing with a mold issue)...the house is a 1960's style split level with Colonial aesthetics. We're in SE PA, my Grandmother's split level on Long Island was nothing like this house. It's very structurally sound, and we got it for a steal (elderly couple, retired, kids selling the house).

I may be asking a few questions from time to time and know that you've all already helped me tremendously!

My goal is a 'white' kitchen...but more offwhite than actually white. It's basically a blank slate, we started out with some horrible red brick detailing and odd porportions. My GC demo'ed and now we've got a 4-5 ft piece of wall on the entire downstairs level and at least a foot of that is being made into a wider entry into the kitchen, you walk straight in from the foyer and right now the door is oddly small and off center.

I dont' have a big budget but I don't want to miss the important things.

My specific question (for now) is about an apron/farmhouse sink. It's definetly a 'want' but the more I think about it, I think I'll regret if I don't do it. I have scoured the internet and found a few that run about $700-$800...which seems on the lower end. Looking at a biscuit colored, double bowl (even) fireclay sink. Curious from anyone BTDT, did you regret doing/not doing it or spending the extra money? I could get a stainless sink for free in some cases with purchase of countertop!

Overall look will be, an amaretto creme with light distressing cabinets, dark hardware (haven't decided on black or ORB), and either grantie or quartzite 'golden' or 'white' countertops...walls BM Dried Basil (I think) and stainless Whirlpool appliances. Flooring is oak with a medium finish, but may be replacing instead of sanding/refinishing and leaning toward a woven bamboo...so pretty, but worried about the 1/2 inch thickness. GC will have more samples for me tomorrow. I'm currently waiting on the design of the kitchen (proposed) and will post once I have it.

Anyone know what format to post pics from Photobucket (html?)?

TIA for any suggestions, can't wait to post more pics once I have this all figured out, and forgive my ignorance, I'm learning so much! :)

Comments (28)