SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brandi_presti79

1880/1950 Farmhouse remodel/Addition

brandi_presti79
6 years ago

We’ve just purchased an old 1500sq ft farmhouse and we are brainstorming ideas on how to add a little more space and a garage to the home without taking away from the character. We are a family of five, with three young boys. The home has no basement or garage and the only unfinished space is an attic above The front of two rooms of the home. It’s a good size 15x30 but is very short, maybe 7ft tall? With no side walls, just looks like a big tent! We would ideally like to add a 2 car garage with a large loft big enough to finish two bedrooms, but we’re not sure where and how to add it onto The home. I want the rooms to be accessed from inside the home (no detached garage). We have also brainstormed on how to open the kitchen up a little more or adding a keeping room with lots of windows to the back to have the boys close to me while I’m in the kitchen...I considered a bump out but the back of the home seems to make the most sense in adding the garage. Maybe that keeping room could open up to the kitchen and serve also as a mud room and breezeway with a set of stairs to the loft area and garage underneath? I’m just having trouble picturing how that might work with our current rooflines, windows, etc. Any ideas???

To recap: we’d like to Add a two car garage, 1-2 more bedrooms, and open up/add or refigure the current footprint to make more usable space in the kitchen. We plan on remodeling the kitchen Anyway as its pretty dark and closed off from the rest of the home. thank you! Ill add photos for help!

Comments (23)