SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonbunny91

URGENT! Ficus Elastica (Burgundy) spots, leaves falling, Help!!

moonbunny91
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello! So, I bought this sweet Burgundy Rubber Plant from Trader Joe’s about 6 week’s ago. I normally don’t buy plants from grocery stores but $10 for a 6” potted plant, especially one on my list, seemed too good a deal to pass up. From base of soil to top of leaf, it’s about 15-16” tall. Since coming home, it hasn’t seemed happy, which I expected from a grocer plant. It dropped a couple leaves from one stem (one that had been truncated) and the main stalk but now, the leaves don’t look as dark and glossy, it hasn’t put out any new growth, and has developed two worrisome areas on two different leaves, both towards the bottom. It’s leaves have never been particularly perky except the top one. One worrying leaf it developing spots on it, they look to be whitish and they do not disappear with water (I thought maybe I could wash them off but no). The other leaf has a brown area on the side of the leaf. There’s plenty of holes in the bottom though there’s not much perlite in the soil (to me) and it doesn’t drain particularly well I feel. It’s facing a floor-to-ceiling SW window with sheer white drapes partly covering half the window (it’s about 12’ from that window) and gets a little light from the other two West facing windows. There are three humidifiers running in the room most of the day, large, medium, and small. The small one is about 3’ from it, the other two are 10’ or more. I have not fertilized it since it already has those fertilizer pearls in it from the grocer mix. Help!! I’m only a year into caring for houseplants and it’s my first rubber plant.

Comments (6)