SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_272853203

Need help with ficus elastica/rubber tree

JR Squirrel
5 years ago

Hello,

I need advice on next steps regarding a ficus elastica in my home. I live in NYC, and have had the plant for about two years. It lives in a west-facing room that receives filtered light through a sheer curtain. We have window unit A/C, and so it doesn't reach that room - the room remained relatively humid all summer, and the plant responded well for awhile - tons of new growth!

However, lately it has been doing terribly. All of the bottom leaves have fallen, and some of the new growth will fall if its touched at all. All of the new growth is wilted, and the leaf edges are kind of wavy. Some of the stems looked pruned (see below) while others look healthy.

I suspected overwatering, and so yesterday I took the plant out of its pot to get a look at the rots It wasn't root bound, and there wasn't a lot of indication of root rot, as far as I could tell, but I cut any suspected specimens back. Most of the roots, when I cut them, seemed white inside and oozed white sap. The soil was moist throughout. I let it dry overnight (which maybe was bad in retrospect), repotted it this morning in a mix of potting soil/succelent soil/charcoal and perlite and lightly watered it.

The only other thing I can think of with that plant is that I lightly fertilized it with a 20-20-20 fertilizer a while ago, but that didn't seem to have any ill effect on the other ficus elastica in the same room.

Help me figure out what is going on! Should I prune back the wilting stems?

Comments (3)