SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yort999

ficus elastica / rubber tree plant - on last legs? help please!

yort999
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I bought this ficus elastica / rubber tree plant (I think?) plant about a year ago, and since shortly after I got it, it began occasionally shedding leaves with brown spots on them. I didn’t think much of it (acclimation, maybe?) but in the last couple of months the spotty-leaf leaf-dropping has intensified and I’ve noticed that the branches are getting darker, and new growth hasn't resumed. I know little about plants, but fear that there might be some kind of root-based infection or something that has slowly taken over the entire plant; and now I think it may be on its way out altogether..

My very uneducated guess of what is going on is that the roots were too compacted when I bought it from the local nursery and they’ve held on to too much water and started it to rot from the roots. It seems the darkness/leaves falling off is spreading, so today I took the plant entirely out of its soil to re-pot it. Am I on the right path? Or is this plant too far gone to be able to bounce back? If there is any recommend treatment (pruning the roots, washing the roots with something, a particular kind of soil to use, etc.), I’d be all ears!

Comments (3)