SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Mid-April Cold Spell 2020

I know some of you undoubtedly have seen these outlooks posted on FB already, but also want to mention them here.

If you are planting warm-season plants already, keep an eye on overnight lows next week. The map I am going to link doesn't contain specific temperature forecasts, but shows the likelihood of temperatures being lower than average, and in this case, the darker the blue, the greater the likelihood of below average temperatures. You'll have to look at your own 10-day forecast to see what lies in store for your specific location in terms of the forecast overnight lows.

The first map is the 6-10 day:

6-10 Day Temperature Outlook

The second one goes a tiny bit further into the future as it is the 8-14 day outlook:

8-14 Day Temperature Outlook

Since these are only general outlook maps, all they tell us is that at least one day during the period covered by the outlook, the temperatures are likely to be below average. They don't tell us which day or days, though, so we have to rely on local temperature forecasts for that. My experience with them is that the cold temperatures usually exist for considerably more than one night, but usually not for the whole time period covered either.

For my area, it is Monday night and Tuesday night of next week that looks iffy so far, and for us down here in southern OK, the temperatures are forecast to be in the upper 30s. Just a reminder, and this is one I learned the hard, hard way, when weather conditions are exactly 'right', you can have frost even at air temperatures of 38 degrees, and this is fairly common in my area. That might be because we're in a cold microclimate relative to the surrounding area. When in doubt about temperatures in the 30s, I prefer to play it safe and cover up plants.

Remember, Mother Nature bats last!

Comments (96)