SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

April 2020, Week 1

Here we are, right at the time that warm-season planting can begin in earnest in most parts of the state. I know we're still feeling a little tentative after the cold nights this weekend, so look at your 10-day forecast and make sure you feel comfortable before you start planting too much.

It still is kind of chilly this morning, but my forecast shows temperatures in the 80s just a couple of days from now. Oh, and rain. Because we need more rain?

So, what can we be planting once we are satisfied the temperatures are going to stay above the danger zone? Tomatoes, beans, sweet corn, cucumbers and squash are good prospects for right now. I like to wait a couple of weeks later to plant peppers and eggplants, if you grow those, because they are a little bit more sensitive to cold nights. I've noticed with eggplant that the flea beetles hit them really hard if they are planted earlier in cooler conditions, and not quite so hard if they are planted a bit later when it is a bit warmer. I don't plant okra and sweet potatoes until the soils are warmer than they are now. If you are planting warm-season annual flowers, now is a good time to do that...flowers like petunias (which in my area are more of a spring thing that burn up in the June and July heat, but some of you further north may keep them going all summer), marigolds, begonias, salvias, coleus, cosmos, cockscombs, sunflowers, etc. Our dianthus are blooming in the garden now and that makes the swallowtail butterflies really happy. Comfrey and rosemary in bloom keep the bumble bees and hummingbirds buzzing around.

How's everybody's lawns looking? Ours is a lovely green, but if you look at it closely, you realize the green isn't the warm season lawn grass---it is our prolific crop of cool-season weeds, including annual blue grass (poa annua), henbit, spring beauties, bluets, veronicas, dandelions and more. I love all the cool season weeds because their flowers feed the bees and butterflies early in the season before the cultivated plants start blooming. Down in the wildflower meadow, we have quite a lot of different kinds of wildflowers blooming now, but the Texas bluebonnets and indian paintbrush remain my favorites as always.

It has been hard to keep the grass mowed around the house because we're always too wet, but Tim has fun practicing the zen of mowing lawn grass and trying to stay on top of things. This also involves having to make at least one repair to the lawn mower each weekend. He needs a new riding mower!

Watch out for snakes, as some of us are seeing them now, both venomous and non-venomous. They sure like to come out onto warm surfaces like roadways, driveways and sidewalks now on whatever sunny days we have. I'm still mostly seeing Graham's Crayfish Snakes, prowling around and hunting for crawdads. It is unusual to see them---we can go years and years where we are so dry that we don't see any at all, but then we see a lot of them in wet years. Nancy had a pygmy rattler last week---my least favorite rattlesnake because they are so small and seem so benign but are just as dangerous as the larger kinds of rattlesnakes we commonly see here.

What's everyone going to be working on when it isn't raining this week?

Have a great April week and please stay safe. I just marvel at the fact that we all are enduring this pandemic together. Of all the things I dreamed up for gardening in 2020, an evil viral pandemic was not even on the radar. Life is what happens when you were making other plans....

Dawn

Comments (70)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals