SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
p1jlc2

Near gut renovation kitchen layout feedback

p1jlc2
4 years ago

We are in the process of renovating an existing home which is more or less going down to the studs (some minor areas excluded). I've attached the first pass with the architect and am hoping for some feedback in general, as well as in these specific areas:

1) Should the island clearances be a concern? My initial thought was that the 39" from cabinet to cabinet (36"ish from counter edge to counter edge) between the island and the range would be problematic. However, since that will not be a passthrough for foot traffic, I think it may be ok.

2) Any thoughts on the sink facing the dining/family room area? My wife was initially turned off by it.

3) Thoughts on travel distance between fridge/sink/range? It's a triangle in the most generous sense of the term, but it seems like it might be too spread out.

4) The design currently calls for a half wall separating the sink/dishwasher and the dining room. Again, my wife was initially turned off by that. Thoughts and/or other options?

Any other general feedback or improvements would be very much appreciated. We've done this once before and made all of these kinds of decisions on our own. Now we are older and wiser(?) and are hoping to avoid some of the "I would have done that differently" conversations we had on our last remodel.

Thanks so much.

Comments (36)