SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_631239718

Hot Water Heater-Help!! Is it going to burst?!

Ash James
4 years ago

Hello All,
I’m having some issues with my hot water heater and would like some advice.
I stopped having hot water so my home warranty called a plumber out. He pushed the reset button and it started working. He said to just push the reset button if it happens again. Two weeks later it stops again. I pushed the reset button and it worked for a few hours then I heard a loud pop. The reset button no longer does anything. The plumber came back out and said something inside was melted and there were burn marks. He showed me and I could see what he meant. He said it was caused by an electrical surge and I needed a new water heater. My home warranty doesn’t cover surges so I will have to pay out of pocket (I’m ok with this). however I asked the home warranty to send out an electrician to confirm the problem was with the electricity and not the hot water heater going bad and causing the breaker to trip. If the electricity is causing the issue I would like to get that fixed before I install a new water heater and it goes bad all over again. The electrician came out this morning around 11am Thursday. He said power was getting to the heating element and there was nothing wrong with the electricity. He said he sees a burned wire because it had crossed something and touched a screw and melted. He wrapped it in electrical tape and said it would be fine and that I don’t need a new hot water heater. I had him check that the temperature wasn’t set too high so I didn’t accidentally burn myself when it came back on. I gave it some time to heat up and I have hot water like normal. Then at 1:30am this morning (Friday) I’m in bed and hear this wind sound like during a bad storm and the wind is blowing through trees. I realized it is coming from the hot water heater. I’ve never heard anything this strong/loud from a heater so I turn on the bathtub to run the hot water (to release some pressure) and the water is crazy hot. The bathroom steams up in under a minute. I still hear the wind/blowing sound and I’m freaked out so I shutoff the water line to the heater.
I have so many questions. But most importantly is this normal? Is my hot water heater going to “explode/burst”? What do I need to do? Any advice?
Sorry for the panicked post. I live in a condo and one of my biggest worries is that my water heater will flood my unit and the one below me. I previously lived in a lower level condo and my unit was flooded because of the upstairs neighbor’s water heater.

Comments (13)