SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_631239718

Help unpacking?-I feel like I'm just moving stuff back and forth

Ash James
4 years ago

I've been trying to unpack after a move for way longer than I want to admit. I haven't really made any progress. I feel like I'm just moving stuff back and forth. I'm in a 1 bedroom 1 bath condo. The layout is good and the rooms are big. I go to unpack a box and it's stuff I want to keep but don't know where to put it so I put it back in the box. I did a huge purge before I moved. I'll likely get rid of more items but how do I actually make progress on the things I want to keep? Any tips?

Comments (25)

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

Stuff like accessories that you take out and don't know where to put?

• jiddie
    4 years ago

I just moved a few months ago. You need a designated area for your boxes or things that don’t have a place now. Maybe a corner...
    Garage..closet. Put everything else away, then go back and see what you can use from your “stash”.
    You will be surprised how much you really won’t be needing.

Good luck..you can do it!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Is the kitchen set up? Is the bathroom in order? Your bed is made? Your clothes are in a closet, as are out door clothing?

So what's left? Paper? books? tech stuff? It came from a room at some other place? It was in something, it was on something?It was SOMEWHERE.

Have you needed to retrieve something out of a box? No?

Then what does THAT say?

If you aren't done by the end of the week? Something is wrong. .......and maybe you don't need it, and maybe you didn't purge as much as you think.

I can move and unpack a house of 6000 square feet to the last picture nail driven in a wall, in two days so you may be asking the wrong person.. No I'm not kidding. Really I am not.

How you packed will make it easy or hard. Maybe that's the problem

• partim
    4 years ago

Take the last box you unpacked and repacked. Unpack it onto the floor and post a picture of it for us.

• jmm1837
    4 years ago

Well, I've moved many times in my life. I always have one box of basic essentials (a few dishes and pots, bedding, towels, etc) so I can start living. Then, I tend to go room by room, starting with the most important things. Unpack eveything for the kitchen, put it away; unpack the rest of the bedding and towels, put them away; clothing likewise; computer equipment, stereo system, tv. When the "needs" are unpacked and placed, then I start on the "wants" - the decor. Art on the wall first, for me; then rugs down; then books, cds and LPs (yes, I still have lots of vinyl) stowed; and finally ornaments and bric a brac placed. In the process, I usually end up with a few boxes to donate, and a few things to go into seldom used cupboards. And after a while, I either rotate the stored things, or get rid of them. I do not repack them. If they dont have a place in the house, even if its a cupboard, they go.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    4 years ago

Is it useful stuff, mementos, books, ???

• tangerinedoor
    4 years ago

LMAO I'm doing exactly the same thing right now! It's taken me 6 days to work through half a Rubbermaid container because I can't decide where to put stuff. And I sure want to get it right the first time and not have to go through it all again.

The situation is somewhat exacerbated by COVID19, because it's important to have extra "sick" supplies on hand, more than usual groceries, etc.

I have already downsized. This is the bits and pieces left over, things I actually use...

Worse, since I'm in isolation, I can't just go to the store and get some EZPZ containers.

Good luck with yours!

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Start getting creative with added storage..some big containers that push under the bed...ottoman with lift up lids and storage trunks..instead of console table/console chest with drawers...there are so many things you want to keep that don’t need every day access...xmas/gift wrapping..winter clothes/shoes...games for game night...paperbacks you haven’t read yet...lean all your wall art in a corner til you are done ...before hanging..weed out faded linens, worn out throw rugs...stuff you don’t love...love...love...

• arcy_gw
    4 years ago

It sounds like you have been in place for awhile now. So I am assuming your kitchen is set, as are your bedroom essentials. In my moves I get the furniture set. After that step back, what do you see that calls for something something...then think through your STUFF/accessories. I too think in the end you will find more THINGS you don't have need of, don't want here in your new place after all. At that point LET IT GO..there is nothing more silly IMHO than holding onto boxes and boxes of STUFF that never get taken out, kept because it once had usefulness....What you give away now someone else won't have to later......

• lefty47
    4 years ago

You are probably not going to live in that condo for too many years so getting rid of too much of your life would be a mistake . Is there a whole wall that you could fit out with head to toe and wall to wall tall cabinets such as Ikea unites with plain doors to store all the things out of the boxes . You said the rooms are large so maybe you can afford the 24 inches depth that could look like it is just a wall . You could also have a storage bed base that has drawers or tilts up for hidden storage ...also end tables and coffee tables that are storage cubes . If you had places like that and maybe get a friend to help you , then it can get done .

• deegw
    4 years ago

My daughter has ADD and she finds it easier to complete stressful or boring tasks when someone is "supervising" her. She doesn't really need supervising, she just needs a little accountability nudge. Last night I chit chatted on the phone with her while she completed her taxes.

Do you have a friend or relative who can help?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

So we need to know what stuff you are having an issue with.The more info we get the better I am like Jan I can unpack and be ready for guests in a couple of days. But that requires a good packing plan and some idea of where things will go in the new place. What we need from you is info. I guess I would start with the big furniture pieces and the kitchen for sure.

Photo

• tangerinedoor
    4 years ago

For posters that are basically saying "Put X in this spot, Y in this other spot, and Z over here. Then toss the rest. EZPZ. Get going now"....

You're missing the critical piece, IMO. Especially when we move and have a lot of disruption—but at plenty of other times as well—it's really hard to sort through, place, and let go of things, because they can give us comfort, keep us from feeling lost because of the disruptions, say something about who we are.

Now we have the added pressure of trying to do all this with the million anxieties from COVID19. We might get sick, our world might change forever, we likely will lose loved ones.

IMO, now is not the time for matter-of-factness. It's a time to take it easy on oneself and not expect EZPZ.

Like Ash, I've already downsized and now have all the rest to find a spot for. It really isn't much stuff, but it all seems so complicated. Maybe we should both give ourselves a break and not expect to be super efficient and together? Especially now.

And Ash? You can PM me if you'd like fellow-feeling. Just click on my handle.

• partim
    4 years ago

I did a big clean out of my house a few years ago. I made the newbee mistake of buying containers first. I ended up giving them away. Fortunately they were not expensive.

If you are keeping things for sentimental reasons, sometimes a picture is sufficient. Papers can be scanned or photographed too. Remember that photographs or scans make it easier to share the memories with others. If you think others might want the sentimental items, offer them now or offer to take a picture of the item instead. You might be surprised that pictures are preferred.

This blog post seems to have a sensible approach. https://www.budgetdumpster.com/blog/how-to-declutter-sentimental-items/

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    4 years ago

following..
    will post from laptop in awhile, sent from phone.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

"You're missing the critical piece, IMO. Especially when we move and have a lot of disruption—but at plenty of other times as well—it's really hard to sort through, place, and let go of things, because they can give us comfort, keep us from feeling lost because of the disruptions, say something about who we are"

I'm not missing a single thing. You are talking to someone who guided an 78 year old, a 90 year old past an eon of life and into beautiful senior living. One who has done the same for two parents, and peers, older and younger clients in moves across this country, north to south east, west.

You are not your stuff,no matter how sentimental. You keep SOME of the treasure for a bit of comfort. ...until the day you realize you haven't LOOKED at that "comfort" in eons. Or you never have. Just like you didn't before a move in soooo many instances. Don't tell me you visit the attic, the basement or the tattered photo albums, few do.

As I said to my now very dear friend (at this point, 92, and in LOVE with her new home/ significantly lightened possessions) when we were in mid down size "angst"..........

Did you watch the Barb Bush funeral ? ... "Yes".. What was atop the casket?.. "Beautiful flowers " What was behind the hearse? .."Family in cars"......Did you see any boxes tied up, crates and stuff?.. " No"

Finally......"... I rest my case GIRLFRIEND!, I rest my CASE" !! : ) Not one scrap of any of this will go out with you. Not one scrap.

To this day, she keeps thanking me.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    4 years ago

If the problem is anxiety due to current world conditions, unpacking boxes won’t help. You may need to figure out whether or not it’s transient, or if it is debilitating you to the point you need a helping hand.

• Ash James
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all for your replies!

I’m going to upload some photos later. I’m currently dealing with a bad hot water heater and have a few technicians scheduled to stop by today so I’m trying to prevent my living room from becoming a total disaster.

To answer a few of your questions. I previously had a 1 bedroom apartment but after moving to a new area I was renting out a room in a house so most of my stuff has been packed away. @Jan Moyer it all WAS somewhere that just happened to be under my bed or stuffed in my walk-in closet. ☹

My bedroom and kitchen are set as those are things I had been actively using before my move. I do hope to stay in the condo for a while. I just purchased it and don’t see myself needing to upgrade to a larger place. It is only 700 sqft but it is a good layout and with the exception of the hall coat closet that needs to be made into a linen closet I feel like I have enough room.

I think one of my main issues is that I’m missing the big furniture items. I am so indecisive and overthink things so I’m taking way too long to select items. Your replies have helped me with this. I just placed an order for a sofa and it is scheduled for delivery in two weeks, on 4/21. It is Ikea so there is a good return policy if I don’t like it or it is too small for my space. I’m going to put together the TV unit I purchased so I have drawers for related electronic items. I purchased the Finnala sofa with reversible chaise. It replaced the Vimle line and has storage in the chaise which is a bonus.

What kind of stuff?-It is useful stuff, for the most part. I will end up donating some items but there are things like travel souvenirs, artwork, random things I really liked and had been storing in my closet or under my bed waiting to get my own place. There are photos in frames for a collage I want over my sofa but I don’t have a sofa yet so I took them out and put them back away. Same with some pillows, no sofa to put them on, back in the box. I like to travel so there is travel stuff like my day bag, travel blankets, & power adapters. I know I want to keep all of these in my hall closet so I went to put them there and I only have one shelf so they went back in the box. After a few trips to Home Depot I’m now working on installing shelves. I come across bathroom things that should go in my vanity but I’m mid-reno on the bathroom and my new vanity is currently in a box in my dining room until I get the tile replaced.

Thank you all for your insight and the push! I’m going to get this taken care of. I’ll report back with progress photos and some more questions I’m sure. Thanks again!!

@Jan Moyer-I have had that panicked thought late at night of my loved ones having to deal with this if something happened to me. Not a good feeling.

@partim-I don’t know that it is for sentimental reasons I think I just over shop. Which is an issue all by itself.

@Patricia Colwell Consulting-I did not pack well at all.

@Deegw-I don’t know how your daughter does that. I’m impressed. I need to focus on one thing at a time.

• zibbe
    4 years ago

I'm with Jan. I moved here 3 years ago. Mover unloaded on Wednesday and I had weekend guests on Friday. All unpacked, art up. Stuff is just that.....go watch George Carlin's excellent routine on stuff. If you don't use it, hang it, wear it, etc, it goes. Probably helps that I'm not sentimental, but I have lost both parents. What I kept of theirs is incorporated into my home and has a pride of place but I was purposeful in my choices. It's your stories that count, not your stuff.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

following

• jmm1837
    4 years ago

OP - I think you're heading in the right direction. Get the basics first - and obviously, that includes major pieces of furniture - and do the smaller and less essential things later. There's no point unpacking cushions and bric a brac until you have something to put them on or in.

• loobab
    4 years ago

Hi Ash-

Some people are great at the packing and unpacking and set up thing.

Some are not.

God gave us all different gifts.

Perhaps one of things you may need to help you find places for your things is a closet system.

Maybe not a fancy expensive closet system, but hooks and racks and dividers,etc.

Maybe you need shelves on which you would place your books and certain collectibles.

If your kitchen storage is minimal, maybe you need a pot rack from which you can hang pots and pans. attractive cookware looks nice hanging from the ceiling. Just remember to rinse them before you use it each time.

If there isn't that much storage in your kitchen, maybe you can screw in little cup hooks to the inside of your kitchen cabinets for your measuring spoons and measuring cups, that will clear out space in your kitchen drawers and cupboards.

There are myriads of tips like these if you do internet searches for small kitchen tips or small kitchen hacks, or small apartment tips and hacks, etc.

You can raise up your bed in different ways giving lots of storage underneath for whatever you need storage for, out of season clothing, office supplies if you work from home, whatever you need extra storage for.

HOWEVER, and I I put this in upper case letters not to yell at you but only to emphasize the following point to you, you don't want to start to do things piecemeal and then get yourself in a worse situation by doing things like buying containers, or setting up inadequate shelving and then making a whole lot of holes in the wall in the wrong places.

It seems that at this point you are a bit overwhelmed, and could use some guidance.

That's why there is a profession called certified professional organizers.

No, I am not touting them because I am one.

I have friends that have used them , and they raved about their services.

You don't necessarily need to use them for the placement of every piece of paper unless you want to.

You can decide what service(s) you want from them.

If you need for example the shelves and pot racks and closet system, they can figure out what type and they can arrange for people to set that up for you, or you can install it yourself. once the organizer figures out what you need.

You and she/he can meet and decide what will work for you.

Now here's the thing, you need to be really honest with yourself and decide what you need.

Can you get by with one meeting and someone writing you a battle plan ans you can follow it all by lonesome?

Foreelz as the kids say these days?

Or do you need more of a guiding/instructive hand?

The fly in the ointment here is not a fly but a virus.

It might be difficult to find a professional organizer that is working now.

On the other hand, they may be really needing the $$, and may have a mask of their own, or can get one or order one, and so can you and you can do your preliminary talks on the phone and Facetime or Skype or whatever with videos/photos , etc.

And you can stand 6 feet away from them.

Or even arrange to be out of the apartment when they come over if that's what you both agree to, just remove your jewelry and money and Picassos.

And you know, the more orderly your place is, the easier it is to keep it clean!

Good luck!!

• tangerinedoor
    4 years ago

Wow, Ash, you and I are in very much the same situation, even to the detail about living in one room with everything jammed into nooks and crannies, and now SPACE....

Ikea has saved my butt, too!

I actually just got some of those Kallax shelving units. They end up looking like built-ins, and the squares can be filled with baskets, drawers, doors..... whatever works. I am using these for most of my stuff.....currently sorting what goes in which basket.

As I say, good luck! I'm sending good vibes...

• Momof5x
    4 years ago

Find some space, and write three big labels: ‘things to keep’ ‘things I don’t want’ ‘ and things to give away or throw out’

Open the box of stuff and go through them one by one putting them where you want. once you have sort it all out, distribute the things you want into their assigned rooms ( kitchen or bedroom etc.) . That will start you off .....and once you have started things should fall into place.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida